June 2013 Moms

FYI for those getting a flu shot

Just wanted to let you ladies know of yet another fun 1st tri symptom! 

I just got my flu shot, and I bled like a stuck pig!  The nurse practitioner stuck me, and blood squirted out and ran down my arm.  She told me she didn't expect me to bleed, and jumped across the room to grab gauze and a band-aid, and then she asked me if I was on an aspirin or ibuprofen regimen.  I told her no, but I was pregnant, and she told me that explained it.  At this point in our pregnancies, we have majorly increased blood volume, but not much (or any) extra room in our bodies for it.  So be prepared if you're going to get a flu shot, because sticking me was like sticking a full water balloon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: FYI for those getting a flu shot

• I didn't bleed that bad when they gave me my flu shot...but I did tell them ahead of time I was pregnant because they can give you the preservative free flu shot which is better for you when pregnant. 

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• Good to know! My doctor won't allow flu shots during pregnancy until we get beyond 10 weeks, so I have to wait until our next appointment a month from today.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a flu shot a few weeks ago and didn't bleed at all--it didn't even hurt or get sore.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I was told not to get the flu shot in my first trimester, but I can in the second. I think I am going to decline it anywa.
  • I am so anti shots in general and have been uber scared about getting the flu shot. Your bleeding situation does not sound pleasant.  Oy! Are you having any flu symptoms since getting the shot.  Keep me posted on any reactions to the shot!
  • I got a flu shot two weeks ago and didn't bleed at all.  My arm was pretty sore for a few days though.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and I bled too.  I got the preservative free one, which the pharmacist said is a "rougher" shot, because the needle doesn't spring back like the regular flu shot.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My OB strongly recommended the flu shot because it's easier for pregnant women to contract it, and if we did, it's harder for us to fight it off during pregnancy.  I work in a hospital, so I definitely felt like I needed one as soon as possible.  My OB's office is at my hospital, so she knew I'd be getting the same shot that employee health offered to all hospital staff, herself included, and approved it for me. If I had gotten one somewhere else though, I would have mentioned my pregnancy beforehand.

Glad to hear some of you didn't experience the bleeding!  Maybe it's one of those "every pregnancy is different" things, or maybe I just hit perfect timing for optimal blood squirt.

I literally just got the shot 2 hours ago when I was leaving work this morning, so I can't report back any reactions yet, other than my arm is already sore.  I get sore every year after my flu shot though, so that's not a pregnancy symptom for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My ob told me i can't get the reg. flu shot cause it has stuff in it they don't like pregnant women to have. So I am getting a different one from her on the 19th.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got mine on Monday - fortunately I didn't have that problem!  I would have definitely freaked out a bit, especially since I hadn't had a flu shot before that I can remember.

For the PP who asked about symptoms - that's *impossible*.  The vaccine that they give pregnant women is killed - there is *no* live flu virus to make you sick.  It does however, take 2-3 weeks for a proper adaptive immune response to develop, so if you've been exposed to the flu lately (or within that window) - you can still get sick just like normal.

I just had a sore arm - which seems pretty par for the course.   

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • I didn't bleed with mine.

Like a pp mentioned the flu shot is important for pg women to get. Our bodies are more susceptible to the flu...remember the swine flu and how pg women were more at risk?

Be sure whomever you are getting the shot from knows you are pg BEFORE you get it. You should be getting preservative free.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• My OB said no flu shot til 12 weeks but I am considering not getting one because every year I have I've gotten the flu!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • imagekacelle:
    I had a flu shot a few weeks ago and didn't bleed at all--it didn't even hurt or get sore.

Same here.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMommy2CB:
    My OB said no flu shot til 12 weeks but I am considering not getting one because every year I have I've gotten the flu!

Must be bad luck...there is no connection. Do you mean you got the real, body aches, fever, feel like you're dying flu, or the "stomach" flu? Getting influenza several times really is bad luck, if it really was truly influenza. Did they test you for it? I'm just curious because there are so many myths and misinformation about the flu shot and what it prevents. 

• imageMrsKatie07:

imageMommy2CB:
    My OB said no flu shot til 12 weeks but I am considering not getting one because every year I have I've gotten the flu!

Must be bad luck...there is no connection. Do you mean you got the real, body aches, fever, feel like you're dying flu, or the "stomach" flu? Getting influenza several times really is bad luck, if it really was truly influenza. Did they test you for it? I'm just curious because there are so many myths and misinformation about the flu shot and what it prevents. 

Ding ding ding! Totally agree.

I've had the real honest to God actual flu and get the flu shot or mist every year bc I'm not doing that ever ever EVER again if I can help it. That's also why B gets his flu shot too. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemolm:
    imageMrsKatie07:

imageMommy2CB:

Ding ding ding! Totally agree.

I've had the real honest to God actual flu and get the flu shot or mist every year bc I'm not doing that ever ever EVER again if I can help it. That's also why B gets his flu shot too. 

Exactly why I am curious. I have had the real flu once and I have gotten my shot every year since. I seriously thought I might be dying and if I wasn't I kind of wanted to because I was so miserable. It is the worst I have ever felt in my life. Of course the flu shot only has three strains in it every year so it is possible to still get actual influenza, but it seems like extremely bad luck to get influenza every year you get the shot, especially since there aren't that many strains circulating every year...they usually get most of them in the shot.

• imageMrsKatie07:

imageMommy2CB:

Yes Every single time someone posts about the flu shot it's like, "here we go again!" 

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"