June 2013 Moms

How do you know if you've miscarried?

I would like to start by saying I don't think I have miscarried... But I just keep thinking how do you know?  

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and she tried to find the heartbeat with a Doppler but she couldn't find it. She said it's probably just too early, but now I'm really stressed out.

My husband and I were going to start telling people at 12 weeks, because we read that's when chances of miscarriage go down, but what if I have already miscarried and don't know it? I don't think I have had any signs, but I have read about people who don't even know they miscarried until they go for their 2nd ultrasound. 

I don't have another appointment until I am 15weeks and I don't get a ultrasound until I am19-22 weeks. I obviously cant wait to tell people until I am 20 weeks! So do I just tell people at 12 weeks and hope its all ok? 

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How do you know if you've miscarried?

• I am in a similar situation. I had one ultrasound already and I saw the heartbeat (at 8 weeks) and my next appointment is at 12 weeks. Even with seeing the heartbeat I still feel really anxious about telling people before 12 weeks. I just need one more confirmation, you know? I looked up getting an ultrasound done through a private company and it was $60. I don't think that is outrageous since ones from a hospital/doctors office cost over $1000 without insurance. Some people don't know they've miscarried. It's called a missed miscarriage. I hope you find a solution and that you and your baby are healthy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Unfortunately, it's absolutely possible to miscarry and not know it.  By your next appointment at 15 weeks they should be able to pick up the heartbeat on the doppler so that'll give you peace of mind.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageelmoali:
    Unfortunately, it's absolutely possible to miscarry and not know it.  By your next appointment at 15 weeks they should be able to pick up the heartbeat on the doppler so that'll give you peace of mind.

I couldn't have said this any better. I've been through it before, so I know it is unnerving. Our doctor has been very diligent this time and keeping close tabs on all of our developments. We know this baby is perfectly healthy, so we're finally able to relax, but let me tell you, the weeks leading up to our ultrasound the other day were absolutely knuckle whitening.

Just stay positive - I'm sure the doppler just couldn't pick it up this early, or your baby is hanging out really deep in your uterus. Most doctors and midwives won't even use the doppler until 12 weeks or more because of the sensitivity.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • I spent the first few weeks of my pregnancy going to the restroom every time I had a cramp just to see if there was blood (sign of miscarriage). I spent more time in the bathroom than ever before and there was never a darn thing. It was just me being a spazz. My doctor said the 3 best ways to  know if you are still pregnant are 1) If you have horrible gas, like wicked farts all the time, 2) your boobs are super sore and you hate touching them/having them touched, 3) if you pee on another stick and it is still positive you are good to go.  I bought a 5 pack of those expensive pregnancy tests and it kinda helps my sanity.  I have only used one since getting them, but there is some kind of nice relief from seeing the plus sign.  I never thought I would feel this way either because I accidentally got pregnant. My husband and I got a little trashy out to eat one night several months back and boom, pregnant.  Guess it still works the same way.  I was too drunk to remember to use a condom and my hubby took advantage of my drunkenness. Got to love him!  I feel like things happen for a reason and everything I have read on miscarriage shows that our bodies are smart and they purge pregnancies that are not good ones. Its like natural selection. Not that knowing its natural selection would make a miscarriage any better, but it is good to know it is rarely our fault and just our body doing what is right for us and the baby.  Also, I own an insurance practice and I specialize in helping people get health insurance so they can either get pregnant or not spend a fortune at the time of birth.  About 25% of my clients miscarry.  I pray none of us are in this statistic, but its nice knowing its kinda normal and if it does happen we are not alone.  I say announce at 12-14 weeks if you still have wicked gas! ; )

• Honestly ... you can't know. I don't want to scare you, but I'm just being honest. Yes, there's a small chance that something happened to the baby. But there's a bigger chance that the baby is just fine. When you feel comfortable telling is up to you.

Personally, I wouldn't tell until I heard the heartbeat or saw that baby on an ultrasound, but that's just me.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imageLammie383:

My doctor said the 3 best ways to  know if you are still pregnant are 1) If you have horrible gas, like wicked farts all the time, 2) your boobs are super sore and you hate touching them/having them touched, 3) if you pee on another stick and it is still positive you are good to go.  

A medical professional told you this?  

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

My doctor said the 3 best ways to  know if you are still pregnant are 1) If you have horrible gas, like wicked farts all the time, 2) your boobs are super sore and you hate touching them/having them touched, 3) if you pee on another stick and it is still positive you are good to go.  

This!  

Married 11-24-2001 DD 11-24-2004 DS 09-03-2007 MC #1 at 12 weeks Dec 2012 MC #2 at 9 weeks AUG 2013 (baby girl, trisomy 16)
  • Yes, my OBGYN!  Not in those exact words, but those 3 things.
  • imageJennyco1124:
    imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

This!  

If gas is a sure fire way of knowing you're pregnant, I've been pregnant for years. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageJennyco1124:
    imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

This!  

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  I would look for a new dr if I were you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

• imagekread8:
    imageJennyco1124:
    imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

This!  

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  I would look for a new dr if I were you.

Seriously. Those things are all bullshitt.

ETA: I actually just went back and read your whole post and it's all ridiculous. You sound like a winner.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageJennyco1124:
    imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

This!  

This is horrible advice! My boobs aren't sore and haven't been since my BFP at the end of September. 

Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• eastlyn - Find someplace to do the ultrasound. If your doc won't do it there are other places that can. I hope that can give you some peace of mind.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

Yes seriously!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC #1 Since June 2011
    BFP #1 2/25/12 EDD 11/3/12 - BO 3/14/12 D&C 03/23/12
    BFP #2 9/30/12 EDD 6/10/13 DOB 5/20/13
    My Ovulation Chart
    *PgAL/PAL Welcome*

• Alright, thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will just book another appointment. She doesn't have an ultrasound machine but if she can't find the heartbeat again I will ask her to book me in for an ultrasound. 

Im sure everything is ok... We had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and it was good with a good heartbeat. I think she just didnt look hard enough. She only tried for a minute and I'm not ure she was in the right spot. I'll just try to keep thinking positively until I get more info. 

Maybe its time to find an OB (my doc is just just a family doctor and not an OB).

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBallet513:
    imageJennyco1124:
    imagehomebird:
    imageLammie383:

This!  

This is horrible advice! My boobs aren't sore and haven't been since my BFP at the end of September. 

Yeah, ditto. I have almost no breast changes this pregnancy. Zero soreness.  

DD1 July 2010, DD2 due June 2013

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a miscarriage that was pretty obvious, considering it was natural... there was no ignoring that mess.

however, a lot of the other girls above are correct. you may not know until a doctor just can't find a heartbeat.

I hope you figure out what works for you! 

BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • I had a missed m/c that went undetected for weeks until I started bleeding. I had gone to an appointment where they couldn't find the heartbeat on the Doppler, said it was probably too early, and started spotting 2 days later. I don't want to scare you, but you really just don't know in the case of a missed m/c. If you're scared to tell, I wouldn't until you feel comfortable. I don't plan on saying anything, I'll let people figure it out.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 - 11/13/11, Natural MC - 12/24/11 at 12 weeks
    BFP#2 - 10/2/12, Please be our rainbow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"