International Bumpies

Expat groups

I recently joined an expat community in Aberdeen made up primarily of American and Canadian expats.  Do any of you belong to a local expat community? Thoughts?

The women seem really friendly so far, and have been very kind with checking in on me with DH being back in the States.  They also have a mommy and toddler group that holds weekly get togethers.  At the last get together I found out where I could buy American food... I now have stuffing, ranch packet mix, peanutbutter, and Cheetos in my pantry :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

Re: Expat groups

• DH & I found a Canadian expat group in Wellington, New Zealand, but the get togethers are very far and few between.  And I'm desperately trying to find North American food - I miss my Miracle Whip, Kraft Dinner and Shake 'n Bake like crazy (amongst other things).  It's been a very tough move for us, and I know things will settle down, but if we were given the opportunity, we'd jump back to Canada in a heartbeat.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I joined the British ladies club a while back but let my membership laps because I didn't fit the group. My Mum is a member if the American Women's club and loves it, she helps run their hiking group.

I met my mum friends through an expat...well English speaking mums and babies group.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Loading the player...
  • jp03- Aww..sorry it has been a tough move for you. Is there an American expat community in Wellington? If so, they might have info on where you could possibly find North American food.

I get overwhelmed at times too-especially when I am in the grocery store.  It is still quite foriegn to me.  Without fail, there are at least 1-2 items each trip that take me forever to find...if I even can find them.

I hope things settle down soon for you!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• We are part of very active expat group here in Oxford. Because of the university there are more so many different ways to meet other internationals. There is a large network of American doctorate students studying across the UK - it is amazing how many people know each other. I meet strangers who know people that I know in Durham or Cambridge all the time. Anyway, when we first decided to move from Durham to Oxford I was given names and emails of a few women already living here. Those women introduced me to others, helped us find a church, helped me find a weekly moms' group, etc. 

This might come across really corny but honestly they have become our family here. I trust them to watch my kids, I know I can call on one of them in an emergency, they helped us move house over the summer, they organized meals to be delivered to my house after DS was born (I didn't cook dinner for 3 weeks!). We celebrate holidays and special events together with birthday parties and baby showers.

The community is quite large which I love but I also have a core group of about 8 friends who we spend a lot of time with. It is nice that DH gets on with their DHs as well!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • I work PT at an institute that teaches English, and they only hire US and Canadian teachers, so that's sort of an expat group that I "belong" to, if you will.

About a year ago I also started an English playgroup, and there is one German/American and one American in it. 

Neither of these are formal expat groups, though. The closest one of those to me I would have to travel an hour by train and at this point in my life I just don't have time for it. Maybe in a few years when the kids are older.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I am actually the VP of a very large expat group here in Germany. We have a huge expat community because of Siemans, Areva, Adidas and Puma being in the area. Plus there is a large University and an international school. It's not all native English speakers though. My good friends here are Polish, Finnish, English, and actually very few Americans. We have a weekly playgroup, knitting group, monthly girls' nights out and other events. I am very lucky to live in this area.
  • imagejp03:
    DH & I found a Canadian expat group in Wellington, New Zealand, but the get togethers are very far and few between.  And I'm desperately trying to find North American food - I miss my Miracle Whip, Kraft Dinner and Shake 'n Bake like crazy (amongst other things).  It's been a very tough move for us, and I know things will settle down, but if we were given the opportunity, we'd jump back to Canada in a heartbeat.
    I know it is far, but there is an american shop in Auckland. It is called Martha's Backyard. I make a trip every few months to get all things american- Goldfish crackers, Dr.pepper, ranch packets, jiffy peanut butter, mac and cheese, shake and bake, cereals, cleaning products... ect ect. I could alway pick up extra and ship to you?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There is one in my city, but they are always doing their activities and things while I'm at work. Once I have the baby then I'll be a stay at home mom, and hopefully will be able to take part in the Expat Group here in Wuxi, China.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • There are no other Americans up here. ;)

Well, actually, there are two, but one is a 60 yr old man, and hte other was such an annoying 'typical American' I didn't get on with her. But there are very few foreign people up here. I think the census put fewer Americans living north of Hull (but south of Scotland) as in South Kensington in London.

I have become friendly with a Canadian mom recently howeve,r who just moved over with her husband and two boys. So that's nice, even though we're very different as well.

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • imagewelshgirl:

There are no other Americans up here. ;)

Well, actually, there are two, but one is a 60 yr old man, and hte other was such an annoying 'typical American' I didn't get on with her. But there are very few foreign people up here. I think the census put fewer Americans living north of Hull (but south of Scotland) as in South Kensington in London.

I have become friendly with a Canadian mom recently howeve,r who just moved over with her husband and two boys. So that's nice, even though we're very different as well.

where do you live? I'm in Manchester :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"