January 2013 Moms

Newborn Photography

Are you getting newborn photos professionally done? I am debating over having a professional come in vs having DH take some, he had a DSLR and dabbles in photography he has a degree in film. I just wonder if I will regret them being professionally done, because DH doesn't know all the posing stuff. What are you doing? I am on my phone or I would do a poll

Re: Newborn Photography

• I didn't want to at first but DH & I have been talking a lot about maybe being one & done. If she's going to be my only kid I might as well go a little overboard to remember her as a baby.
  • I'm doing my own newborn photos.  If you have your DH do them, I would highly advise having him watch some YouTube videos about newborn posing because there are obviously a lot of safety measures you need to take behind the scenes, and a lot of poses are actually composites that would be highly dangerous to attempt IRL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh also, are you having a hospital birth?  If so, ask them if they have photographers come around to all the families of newborns.  We had a photographer come to our room when DS was 1 day old before we were discharged.  I didn't buy any of the photos but my mom just HAD to buy the CD, so we ended up getting all of the photos for free ;-)
  • We're having newborn photos done at a studio.  I'm into photography and have a DSLR, but I don't have the props, lighting, or experience to take the style of photos I want to take.  Maybe you can have your DH do them, and if they don't turn out they way you two hoped then you can hire someone?
    bfp#1 2/1/11 ~ natural m/c 2/21/11 (7w2d)
    bfp#2 5/26/11 ~ missed m/c dx @ 10w (7w3d) ~ d&c 7/14/11
    bfp#3 5/2/12 ~ baby elijah arrived 1/14/13!
  • I am going to take them. I have a DSLR and some photography experience. I will have my mom come and take the family ones. I will walk her through what she needs to do and if I don't like them we may hire someone but I think it should be fine.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagejellebelle:
    We're having newborn photos done at a studio.  I'm into photography and have a DSLR, but I don't have the props, lighting, or experience to take the style of photos I want to take.  Maybe you can have your DH do them, and if they don't turn out they way you two hoped then you can hire someone?

That's an idea too, but just bear in mind that most professional newborn photographers want to shoot the baby before they are 2 weeks old (they are still really sleepy and easily poseable at this age and then become harder to pose after this).  So, you'd have to do DH's "test shoot" and have a newborn photographer on stand-by within that time frame.  Not that newborns can't be shot after 2 weeks of course, but it makes the photographer's job a lot harder.

• We hired someone who comes to our house with all props, backdrops etc when the baby is 7 days old. I had no interest in maternity photos but this I def wanted to do. The hospital has a photographer but I havent seen any pics they have taken worth paying for. 
  • I found a photographer who has a package deal for maternity photos and newborn photos. 
  • I'm hiring a professional.  As a photographer, it's really important to me to capture our LO in those first couple of weeks.  I especially want photos of ME with the baby! ;)  I've heard from many of my photog friends that they wish they'd had someone else do them.  It's an investment, but you never get those first weeks back.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely am, had them done with henry too. I have a nice camera and all but I am nowhere near that skilled. For me it is worth every penny.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I didnt with DD and I regret it. We will be using the hospital photographer this time around
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

• I'm doing my own but I have a degree in photography.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageRJM050705:
    I'm hiring a professional.  As a photographer, it's really important to me to capture our LO in those first couple of weeks.  I especially want photos of ME with the baby! ;)  I've heard from many of my photog friends that they wish they'd had someone else do them.  It's an investment, but you never get those first weeks back.  

This!  I'm a photog, but I specialize in weddings, and I'm hiring someone to do my newborn photos.  Not only is shooting newborns incredibly difficult (and risky if you aren't familiar with newborn safety), but it will give me a chance to be in the photos.

4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• We are hiring someone.  We did a baby plan which includes maternity, newborn, 6 mos and 1 year.  At the 6 mo shoot, we are doing all of the family.  It is expensive but we didn't do this with our first 2 many years ago b/c we weren't able to afford it and this will be our last.  B/c we are able to do the whole family, I feel it justifies the cost. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"