Babies on the Brain

Thoughts on pot?

Hey! I don't think I saw a thread about this so I thought I'd ask (if there was one already, don't bother posting). 

Since the election, I saw that in Colorado and Washington, they legalized pot. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this? Hate it, Love it, don't care. Whatever. I was wondering as well if it came to your area, if it hasn't already would you do it? Not do it? I am curious to know what people are thinking about this.

Personally, I would love for it to come to my state, or even better, all of the U.S. I would smoke it as well, granted since I have a kid, I wouldn't do it all day everyday, but maybe on the weekend, locked in my bedroom and with the window open, haha.

I just honestly want to know what the people think about this. Are you angry? No opinion? Happy?  I'd like to know. Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thoughts on pot?

• my opinion... whatever....

not legal in Nebraska...

and honestly, I've never tried it... just never had the want to. I've had plenty of opportunities, but never did it.   

• Thanks joshandpanda! I am really glad to hear what everyone has to say, and I have only done it a handful of times, so that is probably what is going to happen if it ever comes to my state, you know?  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks fredalina! Big Smile I agree with what you said. It is a dumb war when it comes to weed, they should be more focused on the more powerful stuff.

Yes, I am aware it is still federal, but I am hoping that they will realize how dumb that is, and by the time it will make it to my state (which isn't sounding anytime soon), it won't be that way.

• imagefredalina:
    I don't smoke pot, never have, and I don't think decriminalization would be a reason for me to start smoking. Philosophically I think decriminalization is great. I hope it doesn't create more pot smokers but rather just not make it criminal for those who do. Keep in mind though that it is still a FEDERAL crime, so just because it's legal in a state doesn't mean it's legal.
    Jumping on Fred's train. It is legal here, so I say regulate and tax the heck out of it to make it a good revenue stream. FWIW, I voted against it, but since it passed it might as well do us some good.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • My state of Michigan passed Medicinal Marijuana a while back. While there are of course the occasional sideways comments about "just go get your card", for the most part you don't hear much about it (except all of the hydroponic shops). I think decriminalizing it is a great idea. There are bigger needs for the police resources than to arrest someone with 10.00 worth of pot.

Would it make me run out and buy a bong? nah. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Expecting our first, baby BOY, 12/12/13
  • It's not legal where I live either and I'm glad. I did try it once back in the day because practically everyone I knew smoked and I got tired of saying I didn't like it without actually having tried it. So I tried it and surprise surprise didn't like it. I guess it is a positive to tax it since people are going to use it anyways, but I think about how I wouldn't want my future child to use and then I think about if you take away the criminal element to it how much harder it would be to convince them its wrong. 

Too many people that I know smoke and become dependent on it. Though research shows that you can't become chemically addicted to pot I think you can become emotionally addicted to the feeling pot gives you. I know people who will go absolutely crazy if they can't smoke every day to every other day. 

In addition I don't like the way hardcore tokers act. It's like the lights are on but nobody's home and I certainly wouldn't want to hire someone who acted like that while at work or trust the products made by such a person. 

And this one is an entirely personal opinion which is isn't popular anywhere, I don't like it when people HAVE to use a drug, alcohol, or anything outside of themselves to relax and have a good time. To me its a weakness. The human mind is completely capable of producing similar feelings without having to dupe it with chemicals and additives. And that's my UO for the day.

TTC since March of 2012
    Me: 27 Dh: 35 Testing Begins 3/5/13
    Six SA's show DH has low numbers across the board = severe MFI
    Genetic testing for me = MTHFR+, also carrier for blood clotting disorder Otherwise all else normal
    Dh's karotype= Normal!!
     Mini-IVF/ICSI - July -August 2014 - 1R,M,&F Transferred 1 Grade 1 Morula-5dt - BFFN

• imagebugandbibs:
    imagefredalina:
    I don't smoke pot, never have, and I don't think decriminalization would be a reason for me to start smoking. Philosophically I think decriminalization is great. I hope it doesn't create more pot smokers but rather just not make it criminal for those who do.

Keep in mind though that it is still a FEDERAL crime, so just because it's legal in a state doesn't mean it's legal.
    Jumping on Fred's train. It is legal here, so I say regulate and tax the heck out of it to make it a good revenue stream. FWIW, I voted against it, but since it passed it might as well do us some good.

On the car behind you guys.
  • Thanks everyone! I'm trying to figure out everyone's possible opinions so when I go visit my families next week, I will be able to understand them better, hopefully. A quarter of my families are for it, the rest aren't. And I mean 150% against. Not that I think my families are in the wrong, but I want to shut down the fight before it escalates. Does that make sense? LoL  
  • I agree it should be decriminalized and regulated.  Where I live (BC Canada) no one's going to charge a person for mere possession.  But I still feel if it were regularized it would  

a)  bring in tax revenue; and

b)  reduce risks of exposure and potency - in BC there's lots of weed out there with insanely high THC levels and also weed that can be "laced" with other drugs.  Standardized potency and treatment would reduce these risks; and

Also, although I know a LOT of people who have smoked marijuana, not many of them have become true pot-heads.  Alcohol on the other hand - which is legal and socially acceptable has caused very much harm to the lives of some people I know and love.  I just don't buy the argument that marijuana is in any way worse.

(disclaimer - I did smoke occasionally as a teenager - but not in the last 12 years) 

• I wish it were decriminalized here. I think it's a waste of time and resources to fight against it. I just think it should be subject to laws like tobacco or alcohol. 18 to buy, no operating motor vehicles, and business owners should have the right to fire someone who uses it on the job. (Although it's harder to determine if someone uses it off/on the job than alcohol.)

I wouldn't start smoking it if it were legal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm in NZ. It's illegal here, and we regularly have the should we decriminalise it debate.

It's readily available here, and I know several people who smoke it regularly and could get my hands on it very easily if I wanted to.

I tried it back in the day, but wouldn't smoke it if it was legalised because it doesn't interest me, and I hate inhaling smoke.

Where I'm torn on the matter is it becoming available to teens. I'm a high school teacher, and you cannot teach someone who is stoned. Obviously there are kids who get stoned at school now, but I would hate to see that number increase because pot became even more accessible and normalised.

Yes alcohol is readily available, but students seldom get drunk at school because the logistics of carrying around a bottle of vodka or a dozen beer aren't as easy as slipping a joint in your pocket.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imageCindal:

It's not legal where I live either and I'm glad. 

Too many people that I know smoke and become dependent on it. Though research shows that you can't become chemically addicted to pot I think you can become emotionally addicted to the feeling pot gives you. I know people who will go absolutely crazy if they can't smoke every day to every other day. 

And this one is an entirely personal opinion which is isn't popular anywhere, I don't like it when people HAVE to use a drug, alcohol, or anything outside of themselves to relax and have a good time. To me its a weakness. The human mind is completely capable of producing similar feelings without having to dupe it with chemicals and additives. And that's my UO for the day.

I agree with you 100%

Plus I think it makes some people lazy.  I know several hardcore pot smokers from high school that are still worthless and dont have jobs.  Its been almost 10 years!!!  Some people really have emotional addictions. 

my read shelf:
    Nicole's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

Vacation
  • imagebugandbibs:
    imagefredalina:
    I don't smoke pot, never have, and I don't think decriminalization would be a reason for me to start smoking. Philosophically I think decriminalization is great. I hope it doesn't create more pot smokers but rather just not make it criminal for those who do. Keep in mind though that it is still a FEDERAL crime, so just because it's legal in a state doesn't mean it's legal.

I'm in Washington too. I heard on the news that the federal government is trying to step in.

I voted against it. I see the good in it, particularly the taxes and possible revenue, but I just can't get on board with it. 

TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • I'm from BC, so it is already basically available to anyone who wants it. I personally don't smoke it. I've tried it, don't like it, but if I develop a condition that it would help me with, I wouldn't mind having some 'special' brownies.

If kids want it, they are going to get it. When I was in highschool, there were a few people who toked before, during and after school, but there were probably the same amount that were also drinking. Both groups were in a very small minority.

I've heard confessions, years later, of people sneaking vodka into class in water bottles. It's not that hard to carry alcohol around, but the smell of pot is unmistakeable, and hard to get rid of. It gets on the hands, hair, and clothes.

Not all pot smokers are pot heads. I know several who treat it like a glass of wine after work. It helps them unwind, but they don't go overboard.

I agree that no one should be operating vehices or heavy machinery while under the influence, and anyone who is caught stoned at work should be fired. It should be regulated and taxed heavily, and not sold to anyone under 18, just like alcohol and tobacco.

• imageCindal:

It's not legal where I live either and I'm glad. I did try it once back in the day because practically everyone I knew smoked and I got tired of saying I didn't like it without actually having tried it. So I tried it and surprise surprise didn't like it. I guess it is a positive to tax it since people are going to use it anyways, but I think about how I wouldn't want my future child to use and then I think about if you take away the criminal element to it how much harder it would be to convince them its wrong. 

In addition I don't like the way hardcore tokers act. It's like the lights are on but nobody's home and I certainly wouldn't want to hire someone who acted like that while at work or trust the products made by such a person. 

My thoughts exactly.  Too often I feel like it becomes a daily habit for people to become intoxicated.  People can have fun or deal with life without being high, drunk or buzzed but sometimes you wouldn't know if from they way they act. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm in Canada and I think they should legalize it.  I think they would do well with the taxes it brought in.  

I might smoke it every once in a blue blue moon, but it was never really my thing.  I always got so lazy and hungry and that's not good when you are trying to diet and exercise 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I live in Washington and I voted yes for it. There are lots of laws that are tacked on to this, such as if you get pulled over and you have weed in your system you can get a DUI. There are many loop holes I'm sure. I just hope the money that comes from it actually goes towards what is suppose and not something else. And I've never smoked weed, I've had my fair share of chances and this law passing doesn't change a thing. Hopefully it makes it a little harder for teens to get as well. Only time will tell. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"