November 2012 Moms

Viviana James - Birth Story (with pics)

Hey ladies!  I hope all is well.  I have a lot of catching up to do around here... been very busy & very tired!

Wanted to pop in and introduce you all to Viviana James (or Vivi, as we've been referring to her)

Viviana James was born 12:11am, November 1st, via c-section.  She weighed 6 pounds, 8 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long.

Here's our story:

Last Tuesday I went in for my 40 week appointment.  I was told that my fluid was running low and that the safest move, at that point, was to be induced.. that night!  As soon as I left the doctor's office, to head home and gather my things, I broke down hysterical crying in the car.  I was excited, nervous, surprised & scared of the induction process... I was a wreck... I was really going to be a mom!  I've been pregnant for the past 9 months, yet the reality of having an actual child didn't really hit me until that moment, when I knew she was definitely making her arrival sometime within the next 24 hours.

We arrived at the hospital to start the induction process at 5:30pm, on Tuesday evening.  After a painful, failed attempt of trying to insert a cervical "balloon" to ripen my closed cervix, I was given cervidil and slept through the night.  First thing on Wednesday morning, the pitocin was started.  At first the contractions were far apart and very manageable.  They quickly became more painful and closer together.  After having my water broken, around 1pm, I was climbing the walls!  I had terrible contractions coming as close as 20 seconds apart at times!!  I was so out of it and had not idea what to do to manage the pain... I tried all my breathing techniques, which helped a bit, bu they were just so close together that I felt like I couldn't keep up. My husband tells me that at one point, I even asked for my mom... that's unlike me :-)  Somewhere around this point I was checked and was at 4cm.  I was offered an epidural, which I gladly accepted.  Unfortunately, I had to wait an additional hour since the anesthesiologist was in an emergency c-section.  This was the longest hour of my life!  I kept crying and screaming that they were never going to come in to help me.  When he finally arrived with my epi, I could care less about the needle about to go in to my spine.  I just could not wait for the pain to stop. 

Post-epidural - OMG.. I was a new woman!  I couldn't feel my legs at all, but I didn't care, the pain was gone and I could relax.  Things progressed quickly from there.  I went from 4-7cm in one hour.. then from 7-10 in another hour or so.  Unfortunately, even though I dilated quickly, we did not start the pushing at this point.  Baby girl was still really high up.  They kept the pitocin going, in hopes that it would coax her down in to place.  They also flipped me from side to side every 1/2 hour ( I guess this helps).  She was not budging and was reacting "unfavorably" to the large quantities of pitocin.  Doc wanted to try and start pushing anyway.. maybe I could "push her down" as he said.  I pushed for an hour and she was still not coming down.  At this point I was told that a c-section was in the best interest of the baby.  After the long day that I had, I didn't care and just wanted it all over with.  I was a bit disappointed that I had gone through such a h*llish day for nothing, but oh well, she would be out soon.  We were quickly brought to the OR and before we knew it, she was out.. kicking and screaming.  

She is a wonderful baby!  We've been home for 3 days now and things are definitely crazy & we're tired, but she makes it all worth it! 

DH is an extraordinary father.  I can't believe how natural he has taken to having a LO... and she looks just like him!  He's also been so helpful since I'm recovering from a c-section as well.

We are currently just hanging out, getting acquainted, learning and enjoying our little family.   As I write this, Vivi is snuggled up in her sling, on my chest (which she absolutely adores)

Here are a couple of pics of our precious girl -

Re: Viviana James - Birth Story (with pics)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"