Breastfeeding
Options

How often to pump?

I'm a working mama and my kiddo is 5 months old today.  I pump at work and send the milk to daycare.  Right now I'm pumping at 9:00, 12:00, and 3:00.  Pumping 3 times is really becoming a hassle for me and I'm trying to decide if I can knock my pumping down to twice during the work day.  What's everybody else do?  Any suggestions?  I really don't want to mess up my supply and I don't want to cut out the 9:00 pumping because I'm usually still really full from the night (even after nursing the baby before daycare).

Re: How often to pump?

• Options

Can you make some time at home to pump right after you feed your baby in the morning?  That's what I do.  I feed the baby around 7:00 a.m. and pump at 7:30 right before I take a shower.  This means I dno't have to pump til 11 am at work then again at 2 pm.  Then I stretch it til I get home and nurse the baby at 6 p.m.

I would try and do only 2 pumping sessions at work, if possible.   

• Options
    I also recommend pumping before work. I get a lot from that morning session. I pump around 10:30am, then again around 3 or 4pm. If I have to pick up from daycare ill do a quick pump after work since lo is usually full when I get her. This will only work if you still make enough for Los bottles. Be conscientious about how much you are able to pump and you should be fine. If you see your supply start to drop start pumping an extra time at work!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemexicolombiana:

Can you make some time at home to pump right after you feed your baby in the morning?  That's what I do.  I feed the baby around 7:00 a.m. and pump at 7:30 right before I take a shower.  This means I dno't have to pump til 11 am at work then again at 2 pm.  Then I stretch it til I get home and nurse the baby at 6 p.m.

I would try and do only 2 pumping sessions at work, if possible.   

This is what I tried to do for DS2, but mornings were so hectic.  If there is no issue with you pumping 3xs at work, I would try to keep it.  Or stretch time in between and then nurse and pump as soon as you get home.  I think dropping a session at work was what made my supply drop.  I know everyone is different, but lets face it, sometimes the setting at work is less chaotic than at home.

• Options
    My supply took the biggest hit when I went from 3x a day to 2X a day, but I still got a good amount (it dropped way off the first day but then after a few days it came back up).  Every time you drop a pump there is a risk of losing your supply but if you're really not happy at the current level it may be worth the risk to keep your sanity.  I was told by Dr and LC that to successfuly cut to 2x day i should be sure to pump at the same time every day, whether it was 12 hours apart or not.  I did 6:30am - 1 hour before baby woke up for breakfast so I could pump and shower before she got up - and 8pm - right after she went to bed and I had dinner and could relax for a few minutes :)
    Preemie mom! Born 10 weeks early but Mommy and baby are both doing great!! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"