Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Paranoid Mom Question- Starting Solids

We gave DS his first solids tonight- avocado, tomato, and mashed up black beans (BLW here). He has been EBF the first 6 months of his life. 

Now I am sitting here studying the video monitor, because I have a (probably irrational) fear of an allergic reaction. I assume that if he was going to have a life-altering reaction to a new food, it would happen fairly quickly, if not immediately?

Somebody talk me off the ledge LOL!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Paranoid Mom Question- Starting Solids

• I believe those are on the "safe" list and are considered 1st foods. Not sure about tomato but I think that's just because it may cause gas. LO will be fine!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks!! I don't think much of anything was ingested at this point, but I will keep that in mind about the tomatoes. The only food I was planning on avoiding completely was honey- any others I should be steering clear of??
  • Loading the player...
  • Try not to worry. We don't do BLW but we don't do the 3 day wait rule either. We did watch closely when we gave him something that had wheat in it and when we gave him chicken because my niece has a chicken allergy but I think if it's the life threatening type of allergy (like the kind one might have with shellfish and peanuts for example) it would happen right away. The types of allergies those types of foods are associated with are more like digestive issues and rashes. Then again I'm not a doctor, this is just what I have gathered from research.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe you should try giving new foods earlier in the day so you can look for possible reactions.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would introduce one food at a time, so that if, by chance, there is an allergic reaction you can pinpoint it. And DS chows down on most anything, but tomato tears up his butt. He had diaper rash for a week form it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PP said - try the foods earlier in the day if you are worried.  Check out https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/.  It gives you great information on what foods to give babies when.  It also tells you what foods to avoid and possible reactions (ex tomatoes can cause rashes around mouth and bottom). 
    *** William Abner 8/25/2008 24w3d *** Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I really appreciate the tips and advice! Thank you!
  • I started my LO on SuperNatural Pops and pretty much whatever I was eating. :)  I'm sure he'll be just fine (although I pretty much did the same thing).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"