International Bumpies
Options

For those that live far north (NBR)

I have never lived so far north before (Aberdeen, UK), so up until now I have never felt the affects from the lack of daylight.  Does anyone here have a SAD light box or are they a waste of money? I think I might have some mild symptons of SAD. (seasonal affective disorder)

Or does anyone have any  additional tips/advice?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

Re: For those that live far north (NBR)

• Options

I had to google how far north Aberdeen was but I'm fairly similar latitude I think.  Close enough that it's not going to be drastically different.  I'm in Northern Canada and I've lived here all my life so I don't have any experience in making the adjustment, but I think I can still help, maybe.

I've never heard of a SAD light box so I can't say anything there, but I will say that it's very easy to have similar symptoms of SAD during this time because your body is adjusting to the new season.  What I try and do is open the blinds so that any light can come in and I also try and use electric light as little as possible.  Having the blinds open does wonders for me though!  I also try and get out at least once a day because even if the sun isn't shining, getting that fresh air helps the mind and body.  Also it's important to get your vitamin C & D during the winter months.  Vitamin D is a huge one especially so take vitamin D drops and eat lots of fruits & veggies.

Hope these things help!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    Thank you dhviel! Great suggestions, I know I could use more vitamin C. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

A vitamin D supplement really helps me. It was worse when we lived in Durham than it is here in Oxford. My mom was telling me that those light boxes have been linked to cancer (skin cancer, I think?) but I have done 0 research into them so she could be wrong. She gets all kinds of crazy email forwards and tends to believe every one!

Is this your first winter in Aberdeen? I found the first winter to be the hardest. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • Options
    imagelbaby08:

A vitamin D supplement really helps me. It was worse when we lived in Durham than it is here in Oxford. My mom was telling me that those light boxes have been linked to cancer (skin cancer, I think?) but I have done 0 research into them so she could be wrong. She gets all kinds of crazy email forwards and tends to believe every one! This made me LOL... This is my MIL and then she posts it on Facebook Indifferent

Is this your first winter in Aberdeen? I found the first winter to be the hardest. 

Thanks! This is our first winter in Aberdeen.  Prior to that we were living in California and Texas, so I have not experienced a real winter in some time!

sibling love  

• Options
    imageccip82:
    imagelbaby08:

A vitamin D supplement really helps me. It was worse when we lived in Durham than it is here in Oxford. My mom was telling me that those light boxes have been linked to cancer (skin cancer, I think?) but I have done 0 research into them so she could be wrong. She gets all kinds of crazy email forwards and tends to believe every one! This made me LOL... This is my MIL and then she posts it on Facebook Indifferent

Thanks! This is our first winter in Aberdeen.  Prior to that we were living in California and Texas, so I have not experienced a real winter in some time!

Yea, my mom is so gullible and has very little common sense. She's great and I love her dearly but the things she emails me do my head in almost daily!

We moved to Durham from Atlanta and the first winter was a complete shock. I've never been so cold in my life! Like pp mentioned taking daily walks during the little bit of daylight there is can really help too. When I worked FT I would often go out during lunch. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • Options
    Yup, I'm on my sixth winter up here. Take advantage of the sun when it's  out, and even when it isn't out, get outside. I think fresh air is a good weapon against winter blues.
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Options

I bought three Philips Energy Lamps for our office, and on the really dark days, it can help.  It varies from person to person, though.  Some people find it really helps, and some don't feel any effects at all.  In general, though, my colleagues who suffer from SAD symptoms do usually say that they feel there are some benefits.

For me personally, I get more relief from my Philips Wake-Up Lamp.  I hate getting up in the dark, and the fake sunrise helps my body adjust to the morning much better than an alarm going off in a dark room.  It's not a full-spectrum light, but having a normal sunrise to wake up to gives me more energy in the morning and makes it a lot easier to get out of bed.  Sometimes I even use it in the summer so that I can keep the blackout curtains closed all night. 

Otherwise, I find that during m?rketid the best solution is just to embrace it.  Curl up with a book under a blanket, get together with friends over red wine, and light lots of candles.  It's a whole month of trying to turn the office and the flat into a cozy cabin atmosphere. 

• Options
    Thanks again everyone for the suggestions- much appreciated!

sibling love  

• Options

You are a bit more north than me but I do understand! I'm used to colder winters but definitely less dark! This is my 6th year here and it still surprises me every year. We just tend to embrace it... Lts of stews and mulled wine and cozy dinner parties.

Honestly, the summers are much harder for me. It just seems so wrong to be cold all year! 

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • Options

imagePittPurple:
    Honestly, the summers are much harder for me. It just seems so wrong to be cold all year! 

This! I don't think I will ever stop complaining about the lack of what I consider a "real" summer, and DH finally understood what I mean after spending the whole summer in the US this year. And Germany is nothing compared to Scotland! 

When I lived in Berlin, quite literally the only time I would see the sun was on the weekend since during the week I arrived at work while it was still dark, my office faced into a courtyard and the sun didn't make it over the top of the wing opposite me, and I went home in the dark. I tried to go out on lunch breaks sometimes, at least. Luckily I'm not affected much by SAD, but I do understand that it can be hard to make the adjustment. Like others have said, I try to think of it as a very cozy time of year, and I've come to terms with it over the years.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options

I would highly recommend the SAD light.  We lived in Alaska for 3 years and the darkness was a bit overwhelming at first.  I did not have any problems but my husband ended up getting a light and it helped a lot.  

I know several others who used them as well and have only heard good things! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"