1st Trimester

Teas?

Any advice from any tea lovers out there? I keep finding conflicting info. Im not talking crazy loseleaf teas from a fancy tea shop. But like lipton flavored "herbal" teas? Should I be avoiding those?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Teas?

• I've heard lots of things, but my entire pregnancy with dd I drank all kinds of tea and never had any problems. I just stayed away from caffeinated, non-herbal teas. I was big pregnant with her during the winter (January baby), so I drank lots of herbal and flower-based teas, most of them loose leaf. There's a lot of conflicting information out there, but I'm of the opinion that most things are safe in moderation.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so glad you asked this, I was wondering the same thing!

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's just the caffeine in teas to worry about, which is still okay in moderation.
  • I disagree with pp that herbal is okay and caffeinated non herbal should be avoided.

Caffeine is perfectly safe in moderation. Most doctors recommend staying under 200mg/day, and a caffeinated cup of tea generally has 35 to 60mg. Black tea is fine.

Green tea interferes with the absorption of folic acid and should not be drank within two hours of taking your prenatal vitamin.

It's the herbals that are questionable because doctors don't have the time or resources to test a zillion different herbs on pregnant rats to conclude side effects. So, no one can give you a real answer as to what's safe and what's not.

I avoid anything that has a lot of ingredients and try to stick to the ones that only have one or two. Someone also said that celestial seasoning teas tend to be pretty pure. My fave is their sleepy time tea, which has chamomile and mint.

I do agree with pp in that most things are okay in moderation. You have to just do what you're comfortable with.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageskio:
    I disagree with pp that herbal is okay and caffeinated non herbal should be avoided. Caffeine is perfectly safe in moderation. Most doctors recommend staying under 200mg/day, and a caffeinated cup of tea generally has 35 to 60mg. Black tea is fine. Green tea interferes with the absorption of folic acid and should not be drank within two hours of taking your prenatal vitamin. It's the herbals that are questionable because doctors don't have the time or resources to test a zillion different herbs on pregnant rats to conclude side effects. So, no one can give you a real answer as to what's safe and what's not. I avoid anything that has a lot of ingredients and try to stick to the ones that only have one or two. Someone also said that celestial seasoning teas tend to be pretty pure. My fave is their sleepy time tea, which has chamomile and mint. I do agree with pp in that most things are okay in moderation. You have to just do what you're comfortable with.

Love celestial sleepy time tea!

• Avoid Raspberry Leaf tea or anything with Raspberry leaf in it until you are at term.  There is a good "pregnancy tea" from Nature's Miracle that I like and drink a lot.  

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• Tea was a big stress of mine too....

My midwife was not concerned with the teas I drink because she said the prepackaged ones they sell in the grocery store do not contain enough of the ingredients to be worrisome. It's the loose teas that you need to be aware of. Also, green tea has been known to block the absorption of folic acid. 

Honestly, don't worry about it. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I drink hibiscus tea and chamomile and my Dr. Said both of those are fine. She said the only ones they worry about are the "specialty" types that they don't know a lot about. If its in the grocery store, it's probably ok.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagerowanthefrog:

Avoid Raspberry Leaf tea or anything with Raspberry leaf in it until you are at term.  There is a good "pregnancy tea" from Nature's Miracle that I like and drink a lot.  

This isn't true. At all. Red raspberry leaf is probably in that pregnancy tea. I know it's in the one I drink. I also drink straight red raspberry leaf tea since 1st tri. My doc and doula suggested it. 1 cup a day during 1st tri, 2 cups in second, 3 in third. It is supposed to help tone your uterus. It isn't going to send you into labor.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageRussianMommy:

Tea was a big stress of mine too....

My midwife was not concerned with the teas I drink because she said the prepackaged ones they sell in the grocery store do not contain enough of the ingredients to be worrisome. It's the loose teas that you need to be aware of. Also, green tea has been known to block the absorption of folic acid. 

Honestly, don't worry about it. 

Yes Thank you. I actually get to see my doctor tomorrow so I will double check, but this kinda makes sense :)

• Most teas are fine.  You want to stay away from the herbal teas that claim to help with colds, have "energy boost" ingredients, or have herbs like Valerian, ect. in them.    Regular chammomile, mint, ect. are fine in moderation.   Red Raspberry can be iffy in the first tri, according to most things I've read.  A cup or two of green tea is just fine, just dont take your prenatal with it.   Some women just choose to wait until second tri to drink it.   Black tea is okay, since the amount of caffeine is much lower than coffee, but again, in moderation. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Any non-caffeinated herbal tea is fine in moderation according to my doctor. It's not as though you are getting herbal supplement doses.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Earth Mama Angel Baby Morning Wellness Tea is great. I steam skim milk add a lil honey and a tea bag for a tea latte. Mint tea is okay too as long as its just peppermint or mint. The Tazo Refresh tea has taragon and i read that's something to avoid.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"