2nd Trimester

sleeping on back?

at what point should you stop sleeping on your back? I am 16 weeks and i just have the hardest time sleeping on my side

Re: sleeping on back?

• I think there is an article on TB about this. it is somewhere around week 16 - 20. I also read somewhere that it reduces blood flow. Good luck getting comfy!
    Baby Slings at Nurtured Family BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • You'll know when to stop. As long as it's comfortable, you can breath and it isn't restricting your  blood flow/feeling to your legs you're fine.

I am almost 28 weeks and still lay on my back. Depending on where LO is sitting sometimes I can't breath when on my back so I switch to my side. Your body will know and tell you when you can no longer do it safely. Same thing goes for stomach sleeping. I slept on my stomach until about week 25 and at that point my body told me it wasn't comfortable anymore and I had to stop.

So in short, you'll know when to stop. For now though (as my OB told me), "sleep in any position that you can get comfortable!"

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Your body will tell you when it is no longer appropriate because it will no longer feel comfortable. I sleep however I feel comfortable and I move when it stops being that way. I probably sleep about a quarter of the night on my back at various intervals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was wondering this same thing, I'm 21wks and thats where i find the most comfort. I start off on my right side and wake through the night for those bathroom breaks and I'm on my back. I can't seem to ever get comfortable on my left side and they say thats the side you should be most comfortable. This is my second child and I must say had not a single issue like this, I thought it got easier the second time around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doc said around 20 weeks.. I asked the same question bc my hips were going numb/getting really sore and my back was the only comfortable position.  I still lie on my back sometimes but you will know when you need to turn over.. it will get uncomfortable! Try the snoogle! I just got one and it allows you to lay turned but still supports you so you aren't completely on your back.  It's really helped with my hip problems! Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Stop now. Sooner than later is better.
  • I still sleep on my back throughout most of the night...on 2 pillows but nonetheless on my back.  You will know when to stop.  I slept on my back the night before I delivered DD.  It never bothered me and was the most comfortable position.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL is an OB/GYN nurse (lucky me!) as others have said, do it until its uncomfotable. I still sleep halfway on my stomach but my bump is still barely there as of now....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"