April 2012 Moms

Not the BEST gift...

So, my BIL's weird Gf surprised me with a gift for my DD....she knitted her a baby scarf. That's right...knitted yarn used to tie around my crawling, rolling, moving baby's neck.
Sweet gesture, I guess? But you better believe that thing landed in the garbage as soon as we got home!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not the BEST gift...

• Indifferent

You threw away a thoughtful hand made gift.

People like you get dollar store presents from people like me, who knit.

• imagegeekychic:

Indifferent

You threw away a thoughtful hand made gift.

People like you get dollar store presents from people like me, who knit.

Seriously, you threw it away??  That's terribly rude.  She meant well and I think it was sweet.  I hope you didn't say anything to hurt her feelings when she gave it to you.

• Loading the player...
  • very thoughtful just not practical for a baby!

sorry she didn't think! I have been known to throw away hand made gifts too :/ they just aren't my thing... I hate that people make them for me thinking I want them

• Meah, I probably would have done the same thing...or at least put it in a closet until Lo is older.
    image""> Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Get a picture of your baby wearing it and put it away as a keepsake. I did that with the very unsafe cradle that my mom gave me from when my bro and I were babies. I didn't want to hurt her feelings because it meant so much to her. I know a baby scarf isn't practical, but maybe it's the only thing she knew how to make and she just wanted to do something nice?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Wow, how rude! My mother and grandmother put a lot of time into handmade gifts for new additions. I agree a scarf isn't practical for an infant but you should have put it away for later. I hope no one else takes the time to make gifts for your family again since you view it as junk.
  • You should have just kept it until she was older. NBD
    BabyName Ticker}
  • 1 I was very gracious when she gave it to us like I said I understand it was a sweet gesture.
    2 If it was something I felt like I could use without it being a very serious safety hazard for my child ex, booties, mittens, sure, I would've kept it.
    3 We're in the process of moving, so things like a baby scarf that can't be given away and are likely to never be needed or used are the first things to go. This was not a family heirloom it's a scarf made by the girl my 19 yo BIL has been dating for 3 months.
  • imagedubs3:
    1 I was very gracious when she gave it to us like I said I understand it was a sweet gesture.
    2 If it was something I felt like I could use without it being a very serious safety hazard for my child ex, booties, mittens, sure, I would've kept it.
    3 We're in the process of moving, so things like a baby scarf that can't be given away and are likely to never be needed or used are the first things to go. This was not a family heirloom it's a scarf made by the girl my 19 yo BIL has been dating for 3 months.

...not to say this girl won't someday be part of the family, just mean to say that she's not a relative like my grandma or mom. I've met her once so far, so she's little more than an acquaintance.
  • I wouldn't knit a scarf for anyone who isn't walking. It couldn't be saved for next year?
  • Wow I knit and given scarfs as baby gifts and I would let S wear one!
  • You threw it away?! A handmade gift?! wtf.

Yeah... How HORRIBLE of her to give you that. She sounds like a real piece of work.

/sarcasm 

• No, it was about the length of my forearm. I don't know, once I saw one of those 'rescue 911' shows, and a little boy got the drawstring of his hood caught on a slide and had to be given CPR. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but since then I've always thought putting anything around a small child's neck is a no no....I know my LO won't be going down any slides soon, but she does pull up and roll around, and it's not a far stretch to think she might get it caught.
    I
  • I wasn't at all trying to say she was a horrible person, just thought it was an odd gift. And it's not like I held it up, lit it on fire, and gave her a big f u. i thanked her, brought it home, and tossed it.
  •  

im sorry but i think it was bad to throw it...and besides, baby could wear a scarf as long as she was supervised. Just like the christening necklace someone bought for my DD. She wears it to church when I'm watching her constantly. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP#1 1/26/11 Missed m/c 3/4/2011 at 8 wks 6 days
    BFP#5 9/23/2013 EDD 6/5/2014...stick baby stick!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Right, I understand that it might've been insensitive of me to toss it...I just couldn't see myself ever using it, and bc of our impending move along with the fact that I have little to no contact with the Gf, it didn't make sense to stuff it away and let it collect dust.
  • Cause scarves take up a shtload of space.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You couldn't donate it or something? Oh, you know there are no cold people without power on the east coast right now or anything.

I get it. It's not practical but it was thoughtful.
  • Quit defending yourself. You made a judgement call on what you thought was protecting your baby. I don't use bumpers. If someone hand made me bumpers, I might drop them off at Goodwill. But a scarf wouldn't be worth my time. Get off her back.
  • wow...definitely didn't think this would ruffle so many feathers!

gracefullash- really- you're swearing about this? calm down.

eav- if i didn't feel safe using it for my own child, i wouldn't donate it for someone else to use.
  • It couldn't have been donated to a smaller baby who isn't mobile yet? There are lots of cold babies in the NY/NJ area tonight. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well, Dubs, I guess your OP just really rubbed me and others the wrong way. You come across as an a$$hole. Please, go read what you said. It's biiiiiiitchy in every sense of the word. Sorry that someone cared about your child to take the time to make something heartfelt. 
  • I think it's sweet she made something considering you're not close and she hasn't been dating your brother that long. I totally would have put it on going out in the snow, it's not like LO is rolling around on their own outside.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm going to defend you dubs3!  That would be unsafe and not practical at all.  Something that small probably took her less then 10 min to make, so all you all giving her crap for tossing a handmade gift calm down.  One of my dad's relatives knitted DS1 a hat before he was born, and it was way to small to ever fit him.  I kept it just in case for DS2, who wore it all of one time.  I sold it at a consignment sale.  Does that make me horrible?  I crochet, and I make blankets for babies, as they actually use those.  A baby scarf is just silliness. 

It's the thought that counts though, and if she ever asks, just tell her the truth that it was unsafe (no wonder they don't sell them at stores!), and that if she wanted to knit a blanket, that would be awesome and useful!

• Assuming it's warm in your house, yes, why would you use one indoors when LO is crawling, rolling, pulling up, etc. However, how about when in the carseat, or being pushed in the stroller? We went out this weekend and DD totally wore one of my DS's HANDMADE scarves to keep her neck warm. I made sure it wasn't over her mouth/nose. She was in the carseat in the stroller the whole time. My mom crochets, and that stuff is no joke. It takes alot of time.

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • DD gets a lot of gifts I would like to put in the garbage but I don't. I think I would have held onto it, maybe she could have it when she is older. Beside the point now.

• How about we all agree that it was insensitive, but that OP didn't mean any harm by it. I think she thought FIRST about the safety of her LO, and only in hindsight did she realize that it was a sweet gesture from the girlfriend who also didn't mean any harm.

• imageTrudyCampbell:
    It couldn't have been donated to a smaller baby who isn't mobile yet? There are lots of cold babies in the NY/NJ area tonight. 

This :(

• Thank you, Torani! My thoughts exactly.

• I need to calm down over the word sht?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"