April 2013 Moms

Callise **CP!**

I posted this already in baby names but I wanted to hear your opinions ladies.

Is Callise a made up name? I heard someone using it the other day but google isn't helping me out. I believe it can be pronounced Kal-leez or Kal-lease. Any thoughts? Closest I have found on BTN was CALISTA, which is a variant fem form of CALLISTUS or KALLISTO. Would you side eye it if it were made up? I think I like it.

[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Callise **CP!**

• There's a singer with that name, but she spells it Kelis.
    Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image
  • imagevickel08:
    There's a singer with that name, but she spells it Kelis.

Now I want a milkshake Wink 

Photobucket Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • I really don't like it TBH. Sorry. BUT I think it's a name that would seem much more normal-ish when its actually associated with a person. So if you love it, don't nix it based on other's opinions.
  • I was torn in answering between "I hate it" and "It sounds completely made up."
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Callise reminds way too much of C?lisse. A swear word derivated from the french Calice, a religious term.

I would never use that name. I guess it's supposed to sound "Cah-leese"?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBuggygirl84:

imagevickel08:
    There's a singer with that name, but she spells it Kelis.

Now I want a milkshake Wink 

In my head I've referred to her as Kell-iss haha

• imagejessicadube:

Callise reminds way too much of C?lisse. A swear word derivated from the french Calice, a religious term.

MH and I both speak french, never thought of that. However we do live in Ontario and don't think we'll be frequenting Quebec enough for that to matter plus it is slang. Though it does put a damper on it for me.

• I was thinking it would be pronounced "Khalesi", like in GOT. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageEko14:
    imagejessicadube:

Callise reminds way too much of C?lisse. A swear word derivated from the french Calice, a religious term.

MH and I both speak french, never thought of that. However we do live in Ontario and don't think we'll be frequenting Quebec enough for that to matter plus it is slang. Though it does put a damper on it for me.

Your kid might enjoy the province more than you do in the future...  I don't think it qualifies as slang, it's a real word (Calice). I understand the appeal of a unique name, but... 

Reminds me of an Indian kid named Cacapi in my old grade school...

• imageChicagoBroad26:
    I was thinking it would be pronounced "Khalesi", like in GOT. 

Yeah someone in the BN board said that too and I looked up the GOT reference and it's not the same. According to the TV series official pronunciation guide developed for the cast and crew, "Khaleesi" is pronounced "Khal-EE-see". Callise, the ending being like Lisa without the A

• imagejessicadube:
    imageEko14:
    imagejessicadube:

Your kid might enjoy the province more than you do in the future...  I don't think it qualifies as slang, it's a real word (Calice). I understand the appeal of a unique name, but... 

Reminds me of an Indian kid named Cacapi in my old grade school...

Unless my kid decides to live in Quebec I can't see it being a problem even if we visit a lot. Calisse is the word but it's only "bad" when used in the slang term. c?lice (calice) - "chalice". Another example of a benign word that is church sounding is coltord, which was simply an anglicism for cold-tar, but pronounced just so, sounds as like a merged c?lisse and tort (harm). Nothing wrong with a golden cup.. :/

• imageEko14:

imageChicagoBroad26:

Yeah someone in the BN board said that too and I looked up the GOT reference and it's not the same. According to the TV series official pronunciation guide developed for the cast and crew, "Khaleesi" is pronounced "Khal-EE-see". Callise, the ending being like Lisa without the A

Do you really want to explain that everyday, all day?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Oooh - interesting name comments!

I voted that it sounds made up.  However, I kind of like it anyway.  I would have never tried to pronounce with an "ee" on the end.  I immediately thought of it like Lisa -a.

As far as made up names go, this is one of my favs. I don't think you would be telling people how to pronounce it all the time (maybe occasionally, but most people would guess right), so if you don't mind that it is (probably, from the sounds of it) made up, then go for it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageChicagoBroad26:

This is all I could think when I saw it too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • imageBink720:

imageChicagoBroad26:

This is all I could think when I saw it too. 

Ditto.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Anniversary

BFP #1: 5/10/12; 5/22/12: pregnancy deemed not viable (probably CP)
    BFP #2: 8/2/12; Due date: 4/14/13, DD born 4/5/2013
    BFP #3: 11/2/14, Due date: 7/7/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"