December 2012 Moms

U/S Weight STM how accurate

Okay so I know "they" say ultrasound estimates can be 2lbs off in either direction. I will be 33 weeks on Saturday and the doctors were worried the baby may not be growing properly as I was my fundal height was less than 29. We did an ultrasound today and LO is 5lbs 2oz and in the 65 percentile with great fluid levels. They said if anything we need to move my due date to earlier.WOOHOO!!! I'm terrified by the time I deliver LO will be 9lbs or more. I only weigh 104 pre and 116 now and have a small frame. The thought of having a 9lb+ baby naturally scares me. So tell me STMs how accurate were the weight estimates you were given?

TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: U/S Weight STM how accurate

• 1st girl:  Dr guessed her to be close to 8 lbs, and she was 7 lbs 3 oz.

2nd girl:  Dr guessed her to be 7 lbs 8 oz, and she was 7 lbs 2 oz.

My niece was 4 weeks early, and they guessed her around 4 lbs, and she was 5 lbs 5 oz.

I didn't ask for a guesstimate this time, but my MFM did say he thinks if I made it to full 40 weeks she would be 7 lbs 6 oz.  I laughed.

Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • The docs estimated that DD would be around 8 lbs and told me that I might not be able to deliver her vaginally because my pelvis wasn't separating enough. After 18 hrs of labor, she was 5lbs 13 oz. So there's two lbs right there. :) 
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told my son would be about 8.5 pounds. He was born 7lbs 2 oz.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Estimate was 10 lbs and she was 9 lbs exactly.
  • imagespencermaegan:

Okay so I know "they" say ultrasound estimates can be 2lbs off in either direction. I will be 33 weeks on Saturday and the doctors were worried the baby may not be growing properly as I was my fundal height was less than 29. We did an ultrasound today and LO is 5lbs 2oz and in the 65 percentile with great fluid levels. They said if anything we need to move my due date to earlier.WOOHOO!!! I'm terrified by the time I deliver LO will be 9lbs or more. I only weigh 104 pre and 116 now and have a small frame. The thought of having a 9lb+ baby naturally scares me. So tell me STMs how accurate were the weight estimates you were given?

TIA 

I'm not STM but my doctor told me the accuracy is 15% +/- 

• With my first they estimated between 8-9 lbs. He was 6lbs12oz. Not even close, so after that I stopped asking.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my first, they estimated that he was currently 7 lbs at 36 weeks. They didn't take an estimate at his birth weight then, but they did mention that LO would gain 1/2-1lb a week, so it wasn't a big surprise when he was born 9lbs! 9lbs is no walk in the park but the upside is you won't need to worry as much about feeding and weight gain because LO is already big :)
    Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
  • At 38+w DS was estimated by both the dr feeling my tummy and via u/s, both estimated him to be at around 8 lbs.  He was born at 40w6d (so 2 full weeks later) at 6 lbs 14 oz. 
    I don't put any faith into u/s estimates at all.

Right now DD is supposedly in the 75th% but I don't believe she's that big.  I think she's just super long like her brother and that throws their estimates off.  DS was 21" long at birth, I watched the nurse measure him twice because she didn't believe how long he was compared to his weight.  I think he was in 90th% for length and 50th% for height at birth.  

• I was told DD would be 9+ lbs.

She was 6 lbs 1 oz.

Wayyyyyyyyyyy off.

This one is supposedly weighing in as of the morning at 5 lbs 9 oz, but the tech even said she didn't think so.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had tons of u/s for DD because of low fluid and measuring on the small side.  My last u/s about a week and a half before she was born estimated her at almost 8lbs with normal fluid levels, so they thought we could stop with the u/s.  When she was born (a week and a half later), she was 6lbs 15 ounces.  So adding in growth she should have had in that extra week, she should have been almost 9lbs.  So really, it was not accurate for me!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a HUGE difference between an ultrasound measured estimate and a doctor's feel / fundal height measurement. I just had a growth ultrasound yesterday (was measuring small) and talked to the doc about this. She said that when they are using the ultrasound measurements they are within 2%. The plus or minus 2 pounds does not apply here - that is simply based on feel etc. I never had an estimate with my son but this time I also was measuring small but after the ultrasound was told that this little guy is right on track at 5lbs 7oz at 34 weeks. For what it's worth my son was 7lbs 11oz - I am also on the petite side though not as tiny as you (133 pounds at 34.5 weeks). hope that helps!
  • DS was supposed to be 8+lbs but he only weighed 6lbs9oz. This baby seems to be on the bigger side though so for some reason even though they were way off for DS I believe them this time. I guess we'll have to wait and see for sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"