High-Risk Pregnancy

New GD and ? about Glyburide

Hey ladies!

I was diagnosed with GD about 4 weeks ago now (it's still new to me :)) and today was put on Glyburide. My fasting sugars are consistantly high and breakfast is more often than not high even when I have something lower carb. I guess I would just like stories about this med. Has it been affective for ladies? Have you ever bottomed out on it? My OB said it won't bottom me out and I don't need to wake up to check a 2 AM sugar...thoughts on this? I'm just nervous to take any kind of medicine like this (I would be really nervous with insulin too) Annnnd for the ladies that were on it and have delivered...how long did you stay on it after baby was born?

TIA for the information! I love coming on here and reading your GD stories because I've really had a hard time with this diagnosis and it just makes me feel not so alone when I hear other ladies talk about how excited they are to drink milk and not worry about their sugars. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: New GD and ? about Glyburide

• How low would you go? I guess I didn't even think about timing of taking it compared to eating. Should I take it before my bedtime snack or after? My OB didn't say...just told me before bedtime. I was going to take it after my snack but maybe I should take it before?
  • I was on it with my first and my GD went away as soon as she was born. This time I was on it until 36 weeks when I went on insulin. I never bottomed out on glyburide. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • This is my 2nd time with GD, my first time on the Glyburide. It definitely helps my fasting numbers. No issues with it getting too low or anything. 

I know once I give birth I will stop all things GD, just like last time! At 12 weeks my Family doc will send me for an A1C draw, and if it comes back normal (like with my first) I will test again at the one year mark.  

• imageMTNurse:
    How low would you go? I guess I didn't even think about timing of taking it compared to eating. Should I take it before my bedtime snack or after? My OB didn't say...just told me before bedtime. I was going to take it after my snack but maybe I should take it before?

I was told to take mine as I'm going to bed - so after my snack, which is normally w/in a 1/2 hour of eating for me.  

• Glyburide has been very effective for me.  I take it 1 hour before lunch and at bedtime.  I was told to take my glyburide after 10pm to minimize dropping too low in the early morning.  Originally they said to take it with my snack, but by 10pm, I didn't feel like eating anything.  So, now I eat my snack at like 9-9:30 and take my pill anytime after 10.  My fastings are much better.  I've never had a low overnight.  I've had a couple lows in the afternoon (55 and 63).  It's usually around the time I'm supposed to have my snack.  They have not changed my dose because these lows are few and random.  My nurse said if I consistently have low numbers, they will have to change.

From your avatar, it looks like you might be a nurse.  I'm a nurse too, but that has not made it easier.  So, you might already know this, but just a couple suggestions my nurse gave me:  Always have a snack in your purse or in your car and keep one at your bedside for those lows that might creep up on you.   I just wanted to add that I was asymptomatic when I was 55.  But, something just didn't feel right.  So, that would be my last suggestion.  If you're ever just not feeling right, but you can't put your finger on it, take your blood sugar. 

Sorry this got kinda long.  Hope it helps a little.  I was so frustrated with my GD when I was first diagnosed. Glyburide has helped me so much.  I feel like I can do this now.  GL! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedmbrydon:

Glyburide has been very effective for me.  I take it 1 hour before lunch and at bedtime.  I was told to take my glyburide after 10pm to minimize dropping too low in the early morning.  Originally they said to take it with my snack, but by 10pm, I didn't feel like eating anything.  So, now I eat my snack at like 9-9:30 and take my pill anytime after 10.  My fastings are much better.  I've never had a low overnight.  I've had a couple lows in the afternoon (55 and 63).  It's usually around the time I'm supposed to have my snack.  They have not changed my dose because these lows are few and random.  My nurse said if I consistently have low numbers, they will have to change.

From your avatar, it looks like you might be a nurse.  I'm a nurse too, but that has not made it easier.  So, you might already know this, but just a couple suggestions my nurse gave me:  Always have a snack in your purse or in your car and keep one at your bedside for those lows that might creep up on you.   I just wanted to add that I was asymptomatic when I was 55.  But, something just didn't feel right.  So, that would be my last suggestion.  If you're ever just not feeling right, but you can't put your finger on it, take your blood sugar. 

Sorry this got kinda long.  Hope it helps a little.  I was so frustrated with my GD when I was first diagnosed. Glyburide has helped me so much.  I feel like I can do this now.  GL! 

Thank you for this! Yes, having a snack with me helps a lot because when I get hungry I go for sugar and bread. I'm having a hard time with this diagnosis just as far as eating "the diet". I'm so hungry and veggies sound so gross so I'm eating a lot of cheese. I am a nurse but like you said it doesn't make things easier. I just keep counting down the weeks! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"