April 2013 Moms

GTKY: On the day you were born

What do you know about your own birth? 

Has your mom (if you know her) shared stories of her labor and delivery with you?

Were you an easy or complicated birth?

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.

Re: GTKY: On the day you were born

• I actually never hear the end of my birth story.  I was breech and, at that time, they didn't do a cesarean for breech babies so I was a tough one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My birth story:

My mom went to see her OB for her regular pregnancy check up. 

Doctor sends her to the hospital and BAM 20 minutes later I was born.

I was supposed to be a boy and my name was to be Todd.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom has shared some with me. I was a complicated birth. I came a little bit early and actually just one day before my mom?s birthday. My mom had to get induced because she started developing toxemia. My dad had to leave to go pick up my grandma at the bus station who was coming in from out of town to be there with my mom for my birth. By the time they made it back to the hospital, I had already been born so they both missed it.

My mom was pretty sick for a few days and then the doctors recommended a hysterectomy which she ended up having.

• I know mine pretty well - I don't know all the details, but I know I was 11(!) days late, born in the middle of a heat wave.  My mom went into labour around 11 pm on a walk home from a barbeque at a friend's house, and I was born at 3:30 am the next morning.  A total of 4.5 hour in labour, and my mom said it was pretty textbook. 

She had all three of us kids without pain medication of any kind.  I really hope I've  inherited her child birth pain tolerance and short-ish labours.  Her shortest labour was my sister (baby #3): only 30 minutes!  My mom said it was the worst pain of her life, but at least it was over quickly!

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • I don't know too many details, but from what mom tells me she gained over 75 lbs with me and I was 9lbs 11oz so I was a big baby! My dad was the first to tell the family...back then my parents couldn't afford a sonogram so they didn't know if I was a boy or girl...my dad went to my grandmomma and said "momma, I love you, and its a very fat little girl!"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am baby #10 for my parents.  So by the time I came around they pretty much knew what they were doing.  My parents did a lot of volunteer work through the school we all went to so they could get discounted tuition.  They were working Bingo at the Parish Hall the night my mom went into labor. They went to the hospital and my mom really wanted me born on the 12th because it holds a close place in her heart, but the nurse wouldn't let her get up to go pee.  She says that the doctor came in and my mom said that she really just needed to go to the bathroom and then she'd have the baby and the doc told the nurse she was crazy for not letting her do what she wanted because she'd already had so many kids and knew what she was doing.  I was born shortly after she finally got to go to the bathroom, but it was already the morning of the 13th by then. 

I've also heard that my oldest brother came to visit me in the hospital and all the nurses thought he was the father and he was totally mortified!  hahaha.

And then they went to a Christmas party on the way home from the hospital. I guess it's not that big of a deal when it's your 10th kid. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know my mom went to the doc for her 37 week appt and they did an internal and that triggered labor. Lots of pain but no meds because they weren't offered to her.. can you imagine?? They push them so hard now.. and they later found out the OB was a total cocaine addict and he lost his license and everything. Cool story, huh?
  • My poor mom. I was 19 days overdue. She finally went into labor and labored for 24 hours. My huge head prevented me from descending, so she ended up with an emergency c-section. They overdosed her on with the epidural so she was numb from the neck down for hours after I was delivered. Then, there was no room in the nursery because it was a super busy night, so my dad held me for three hours (he loved that part) and just kept holding me up next to my mom so she could see me in between vomiting bouts. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageMurraydog:

I am baby #10 for my parents.  

And then they went to a Christmas party on the way home from the hospital. I guess it's not that big of a deal when it's your 10th kid. 

I am fascinated by big families. That's so cool! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageChicagoBroad26:
    My poor mom. I was 19 days overdue. She finally went into labor and labored for 24 hours. My huge head prevented me from descending, so she ended up with an emergency c-section. They overdosed her on with the epidural so she was numb from the neck down for hours after I was delivered. Then, there was no room in the nursery because it was a super busy night, so my dad held me for three hours (he loved that part) and just kept holding me up next to my mom so she could see me in between vomiting bouts. 

That is so sad!  Your poor mom!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom has told me that I was almost a month late and she labored for several days, when I finally decided to come.  She's a petite lady and couldn't squeeze me out, so they put her completely under and took me by c-section. 

This has me wondering about what my experience will be like giving birth.  I wonder how many of us have a similar situation like our mothers. 

image BabyFetus Ticker
  • I should have an older brother, but at 18 months old, he died from complications that were the result of a mismanaged birth. Essentially, the OB was a drunk and very slow to react. When paged, the nurse told my Mom that she could not push until the OB was present. Unfortunately, the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he was starved of oxygen. To cover his own butt, the OB told my Mom that she had a hereditary disease and to abort if she were to ever get pregnant again.

The 1 1/2 years he was alive, my parents traveled the nation to find out how to help him, but could never get a confirmed diagnosis. That was how my Mom had the courage to have me, despite the OB telling her to abort.

So, with that said, my Mom was a very nervous to have me, considering how poorly her first L&D went. Her new OB knew this and when I started to have some issues with my heart rate, they quickly made the call for an emergency c/s. My Mom loves to tell how my dad, who was/is a complete manwhore, was trying to introduce her to a nurse he'd just met, while they're prepping her to leave the room for surgery.

I was born on the gurney, almost in the elevator, completely med-free en route to an emergency c/s.

My Mom loves to say that she had an epi [older brother], a med-free [me] and a med-free c/s, as my brother was an emergency c/s and the meds hadn't had a chance to take effect, but my Mom just wanted him here safely.

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I was born at lunch time during a hospital strike, so the only person on the ward at the time was a student nurse who had never actually delivered a baby before. I guess the doctor and couple nurses working were all on lunch and did not even make it back across the street in time before I was born. My mom says the student nurse was absolutely ecstatic after and telling everyone how she had delivered her first baby. Guess I made her day!
  • I was three weeks late and my mom labored for 36 hours.

I've been told this a hundred times, mostly when's she's been unhappy with me.

They do, however, tell me about how my dad went outside and saw Northern lights that night I was born and how beautiful it was.

Edit: And the doctor had said I was going to be a boy.

• imagesaintpaulJess:

I was three weeks late and my mom labored for 36 hours.

I've been told this a hundred times, mostly when's she's been unhappy with me.

They do, however, tell me about how my dad went outside and saw Northern lights that night I was born and how beautiful it was.

I love this anecdote.  

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I LOVE my birth story.. I was 3 weeks early. My mom went in for a regular checkup, and she didn't even know she was in labor. The doctor had to convince her that the baby was coming! He went out to tell my dad, and my dad thought he was joking! He thought my mom put him up to the joke because it was their anniversary (second) and they had joked about it on the way to the doctor's.

Well, she WAS in labor! I showed up that afternoon after an uncomplicated, natural birth, I was born 5lb 2oz  :) Sure makes it easy to remember their anniversary!

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was a difficult baby. My mom was really sick while pregnant with me. She was in the hospital to monitor blood clots, and had come down to L&D with my dad and older brother, for my brother to take a sibling class. There my moms water broke... she was still 6 weeks from her due date. Luckily she was already in L&D because I was distressed, they did an emergency c-section and I was born. My mom tells me the docs said she was lucky she was already in the hospital because we both would have died if she wasn't.

I weighed in at a nice 4lbs13oz.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My mom was just telling me about it yesterday! I'm baby 2 for her and her first home birth in the Netherlands. My sister was born in a hospital in Columbia, but my mom looked the Dr and nurses out of the room.
    I was 3 weeks early, her longest labor at 6 hours. She cleaned the whole house and took a hot shower that morning, I was born around 11am. I was crowning when the Dr was at the door. I had my cord around my neck. Both of these things my dad had dreamt about so apparently he knew what to do. He claims I'm psychic because I told him about it while I was in the womb. I gave them a scare because it took a few seconds before I started breathing.
    With my younger brother my mom was only in labor for 2 hours and got my sister and me ready for daycare right after. I really hope my labor will be like my mom's.

• My mom had an easier time with me than my older sister (she had the cord wrapped around her neck and started to go into fetal distress). My dad however, not so much. My birthday is July 25th, and the a/c at the hospital stopped working. He almost passed out from the heat, and the nurses had to go get him some juice! Meanwhile, my mom just pushed me out (and I was pretty chubby) and she was just fine haha!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some of you ladies have pretty amazing stories.

My birth is pretty ordinary by comparison. My mom's water broke, then nothing happened. They had to give her something (I don't know if they used pitocin back then or if it was a different drug) then the cx came and her like a mofo. My mom says the epidural was different back in her day and that the only pain relief they could give her was when the time came to push (?!)  she didn't take it because pushing in itself was such a relief. 

My older brother's birth was the same as mine. The only thing is that with him, she tore alllllll the way back and the Dr never bothered to tell her. He only told her when she complained about the pain in her followup apt. And when she asked him "Why didn't you tell me", his reply was "What good would it have done". Ugh.

Also, back then, breast feeding wasn't all that popular and women could actually request to have a shot to prevent their milk from coming in, so my mom had that. I find that whole idea mind boggling.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm the second in the family. My mom had a super easy and fast delivery with my sister, so when it came time for me, she and her doctor figured I'd be easy as well. Her doc was out at his lake for a week and he told her he would come in for my birth, just to call the hospital as soon as she went into labour and tell them she has a history of fast labour and to call him immediately (before she herself even got to the hospital). So lo and behold, 2 days into his vacation, my mom went into labour, did as she was told and then went to the hospital. Well the hospital hadn't phoned him yet as they didn't believe her (just assumed she was a paranoid mom overreacting). So they called the doctor and he raced in from OOT. My mom said I literally fell out the minute he walked in the room. It all happened within a few hours. 

I'm really hoping easy labour is genetic!  

• Both my sister and I were born on our due dates without much of a fuss. My brothers were the same, but each a week late.

I don't know a lot of details though - my Mom passed away when I was 15 (way before I wanted to know any gross details of labor and delivery) and my Dad only remembers his version of it, which while pretty entertaining, isn't as helpful. lol

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I arrived almost two weeks late and my mother was in labor for more than 36 hours. Since she was not progressing my Dad (who worked at the hospital) went to work and my grandpa stayed with my mom until things got moving.I was 9lbs 15.75 oz at birth....my mom remembers asking the nurse "Are you sure its not 10lbs?I was in observation after I was born because more than 24 hours lapsed between when my mom's water broke and when I arrived. My mom says labor and birth was easy compared to the stress of having a baby in observation. My sister arrived almost three weeks later an my mom almost had her in the car.

Oddly enough my first labor was well over 36 hours....thankfully my water broke right before he arrived. DS arrived at 41w6d and was 8lbs 15.75oz and you can bet I asked "Are you sure not 9lbs" DD arrived a week early and very quickly.  My mom never had a 3rd so I am curious to see what labor and delivery will be like with this LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am the youngest of 5.  I know I came in the middle of the night and that my mom never had an epidural with any of us.  I am sure my mom labored quickly with me since i was her 5th.

I am fascinated with my oldest sister's birth story even more.  My sister is 15 years older then me.  My mom labored with her for a while and right as she was dialated and ready to push my mom was given valium.  Which apparently knocked her out.  My mom has memory of having my sister and doesn't know how the doctors got her out.  My mom never had any c-sections.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was a bit over due...and started to have complications so my mom had to have emergency c-section.  The room was full of medical professionals as it turns out I had the umbilical cord wrapped around my throat.  I came out fine..my mom said that she knew at that moment that I was going to be a dramatic child..which I lived up to!

The other funny thing is that after I was born and doing good my dad left as he had a football game he was playing in..he was in a great mood and had a good game!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's a fun question!

I know that my mom never even experienced a contratction. She had increased blood pressure due to Toxemia and she wasn't able to labor when they induced her so I was born by C-Section a month early.

I just remember finding out when I graduated high school that she was so grogy and out of it when they brought me to her that she remembers thinking how ugly I was LOL. I was only 5 pounds. That felt great to hear! Ha ha.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

• imageOhSewCrafty:

Both my sister and I were born on our due dates without much of a fuss. My brothers were the same, but each a week late.

I don't know a lot of details though - my Mom passed away when I was 15 (way before I wanted to know any gross details of labor and delivery) and my Dad only remembers his version of it, which while pretty entertaining, isn't as helpful. lol

Pretty please share your Dad's version!

• My mom was feeling light contractions early in the morning at about 38.5 weeks, but wasn't sure if it was the real deal. Well, I was born at 1:10 that afternoon, so apparently it was!

The really cool part... a bat flew by the window the moment I was born! Mom always considered that a good omen.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • I was born a day early. My mom's due date was All Saints Day and I was born on Halloween. Go figure! :)

My mom had a ridiculously easy labor, and I (mistakenly) thought it would be the same for me. She woke up around 6am with contractions, and I was born at 12:40pm. No complications at all.

I, on the other hand, was VERY overdue when I was pregnant with Tony. For those of you who are going through your first pregnancy, I would highly recommend turning off your phone the week of your due date. My mom called every.flipping.day. the week before, the week of, and the week after I was due with Tony, asking if her grandchild was there yet. It was stressful and incredibly annoying (I mean, did she really think I was going to keep that info from her???). I was finally induced at 41w4d, and I was in labor for 27 hours. Clearly, I wasn't meant to follow in my mother's footsteps!  

• I was a breach baby and my mom wasn't sure if I had turned when she went to the hospital after her water broke. They did an X-ray, yes X-ray, not ultrasound to find out I was still breach. I was 8 lbs 13 oz and my mom's X-ray showed an in-turned coccyx making future vaginal deliveries near impossible. And that's what I know. Also my mom had PPD after I was born and spent a few months in the hospital pretty drugged up after she thought my dad was Jesus. 

• imagesynchrosally:

I was a breach baby and my mom wasn't sure if I had turned when she went to the hospital after her water broke. They did an X-ray, yes X-ray, not ultrasound to find out I was still breach. I was 8 lbs 13 oz and my mom's X-ray showed an in-turned coccyx making future vaginal deliveries near impossible. And that's what I know. Also my mom had PPD after I was born and spent a few months in the hospital pretty drugged up after she thought my dad was Jesus. 

Now that's a story. 

• My mom said her water broke in the afternoon. Since I am her first she went right away. The doctor told her that it was too soon and probably just her bladder. He didn't examine her or anything, just sent her home. About three hours later she was having back pain and severe contractions. She went back and was seven cm dialated. She gave birth to me about half an hour later. I was born five weeks early but no major complications.
  • My mom woke up early the day after her due date, after dreaming she was swimming, to find that her water had broken.  She and my dad went to the hospital a few times but kept getting sent home because she hadn't progressed enough.  When she was finally admitted she said that the nurse was really rude.  Apparently, it was this nurse's last shift before moving to Hawaii and she kept bragging to her coworkers about how great it was going to be and then telling my mom she wasn't laboring correctly (breathing too fast, etc).  She finally gave birth at 11:30 that night, after the OB pulled me out with forceps due to my heart decellerating.  My mom said they rushed me out of the room before she had a chance to see me.  Fortunately, the problem was corrected very quickly and I was brought back into the room soon after.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was a complicatd birth. I got tangled up in my umbilical cord so they tried to suction me out which caused them to pretty much (unintentionally) strangle me. So they did an emergency c-section and I wasn't breathing when I was born.

Long story short, I started breathing again and I'm alive and well. 2 scars on my scalp under my hair to show how hard they tried to suction me out Indifferent

Also, fun fact. I was born straight up midnight. My birth certificate says "pm/am" and my dad got to decide my birthday. He chose 12/22 instead of 12/23 because it was one day further from Christmas Smile

ETA: I was supposed to be a boy also. Brandon was going to be my name, it is now Brandy.

• All I really know is that I was 13 days late, and everyone had to eat hospital food for Thanksgiving dinner (it was either the day after or the day before I was born, I don't remember which).  

I guess we usually just get my brother's birth story, because he was an emergency c-section performed without anesthesia.  So my boring, normal birth doesn't get too much story time lol. 

• I was a scheduled, repeat C-section. I was supposed to be a boy so my parents were completely surprised. I was a big baby, 9 lbs. 4 oz. and I had a ton of blonde hair. 

• Hmmm...I don't know too many details of my birth other than I was a home-birth baby. It must have gone well, because both of my younger brothers were home-births as well. She was also attended by a midwife with a doctor (for back-up I guess?) 25+ years ago. If I remember correctly, it was something like 9 hours of labour, and I came out weighing approx. 7 & 1/2 pounds. I think I also remember hearing that my mom's fav dog was introduced to me less than an hour after I was born, even though he was typically a barn dog who wasn't allowed in the house.

Another cool little fact: my parents still live in the same house where my brothers & I were born. :)

• imagemypalbabs:

My birth story:

My mom went to see her OB for her regular pregnancy check up. 

Doctor sends her to the hospital and BAM 20 minutes later I was born.

I was supposed to be a boy and my name was to be Todd.

I was supposed to be a boy, too! My name would have been Tyler. What a surprise our parents had!

• imagecRAYzyinalabama:
    I don't know too many details, but from what mom tells me she gained over 75 lbs with me and I was 9lbs 11oz so I was a big baby! My dad was the first to tell the family...back then my parents couldn't afford a sonogram so they didn't know if I was a boy or girl...my dad went to my grandmomma and said "momma, I love you, and its a very fat little girl!"

Haha!! Leave it to a dad to say something like that. I was a "very fat little girl, too!" 9 lbs. 4 oz. 

• imageheddy79:

My mom has told me that I was almost a month late and she labored for several days, when I finally decided to come.  She's a petite lady and couldn't squeeze me out, so they put her completely under and took me by c-section. 

This has me wondering about what my experience will be like giving birth.  I wonder how many of us have a similar situation like our mothers. 

They'll induce you so there's no way you'll be that late. It's pretty standard that they won't let you go past 42 weeks. Risk of stillbirth and complications goes way up after this. I was induced at 41 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"