October 2012 Moms

Anyone else not losing weight fast while BFing?

So I've been eating less since having LO.. honestly just too busy BFing and adjusting to being a mom to snack or eat that much at meals. I did lose 20 lbs since having LO (but I chalk that up to his weight + amniotic fluid + placenta), but since then I've been pretty much stalled. I'm EBF and he eats non-stop. 

Am I just one of those unlucky ones that BFing doesn't work for (in terms of weight loss), or is just slower for some people?  

DS1 : 10/2012
Due with B/G Twins July 2015

Re: Anyone else not losing weight fast while BFing?

• Make sure you eat and drink water!! It could mess your supply up.

Cheesesticks,yogurtsGreek have high protein

Keep snacking and u will prob lose more weight!
  • I'm on my phone so I can't see when your LO was born, but with my first pregnancy I EBF and lost all my weight plus some 2 months post delivery. I wasn't losing anything and then all of a sudden my body kicked into gear and the pounds started coming off. Like the pp said, eat healthy snacks and drinks lots if fluids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS2 is only two weeks old, so I don't really know yet. However, with DS1 I gained 39 lbs. I had lost 25 lbs by my 4 week OB appt, and from then on I lost close to a pound a week, sometimes slightly less, without really dieting or exercising. I tried to be conscious of what I ate, but I didn't cut out carbs or sweets or anything. I also tried not to be lazy and sit around but didn't officially workout.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lost a good 16-17 lbs the first week but nothing since. I've

been eating pretty crappy though. Definitely still indulging

too much. Hoping I'm cleared to start working out tomorrow.

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• I am 10 days PP and have lost 24 lbs, I still have 16 to go. Hopefully it will come off quickly. With DS1, I lost all but 15 lbs and then my thyroid went crazy and I couldn't lose any more weight. I finally started a strict diet and exercise plan and dropped it plus another 10, then I got PG again.
    boots badgePhotobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With E I lost 20lbs the first two weeks and then nothing until she was 4mos old. Then it was super slow. I never lost the last 10lbs before getting pregnant again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• thanks for posting had no clue you lose weight within first 2 weeks. not sure what weigh now. think I'm down 8 pounds only delivered last Monday
  • I've lost 20 lbs but I figure it was all baby and fluid like you said.  I haven't really had an appetite at all and have been forcing myself to eat b/c I don't want my supply to tank.  It's only been a week and a half, but I haven't lost any really since I've come home from the hospital.  I figure once I feel less sore I'll start exercising.  And my LO eats all the time, too!
  • Your baby is only 2 weeks old - they are barely eating enough BM for you to lose weight at this point.  The weight after delivery isn't going to melt away just because you're BFing.  BFing is great because the weight will come off, but it comes off slowly (think 1lb a week) and will keep coming off.  Some women do retain extra fat while BFing, but not a ton of weight.

The worst thing you can do is restrict your calories right now - your supply will plummet and you'll kill your metabolism. 

I was down 17lbs or so after baby #1 at my 6 week post partum apt.  I ended up dropping anohter 20lbs over the next 7 months just from BFing. 

• DD is 12 days old & I've lost 20lbs of the 27lbs I gained during pregnancy. However with DD1 I EBF & it did absolutely nothing to help get rid of my weight gain. I never returned to my pre-pregnancy weight ever in the 4 years between the two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageteamsweet:

Your baby is only 2 weeks old - they are barely eating enough BM for you to lose weight at this point.  The weight after delivery isn't going to melt away just because you're BFing.  BFing is great because the weight will come off, but it comes off slowly (think 1lb a week) and will keep coming off.  Some women do retain extra fat while BFing, but not a ton of weight.

The worst thing you can do is restrict your calories right now - your supply will plummet and you'll kill your metabolism. 

I was down 17lbs or so after baby #1 at my 6 week post partum apt.  I ended up dropping anohter 20lbs over the next 7 months just from BFing. 

This. I actually lost the most weight with DD1 right before weaning at 13.5 months. Right before her birthday I started eating a healthier diet and increased my exercise. I found it melted off then.

You have to also remember - it took you 9-10 months to gain it, so give yourself time to lose it.

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"