Toddlers: 24 Months+

throwing up from drinking pool water?

MH took DS to the pool this evening and he apparently was playing great and then sort of looked weird & crouched down and puked everywhere (ugh, the poor pool ppl). He was fine before, after, did not complain of a stomach ache today, ate all his dinner & food normally today, etc.  He is a kid who tends to try to drink the pool water & bath water, always has his mouth open and goes under the water (intentionally) a lot... my first thought is that he swallowed a bunch on top of a full stomach (it was about an hour after dinner) & puked it up? Anyone have this happen?

Re: throwing up from drinking pool water?

• Yes, DD has done this. My parents have a pool so she goes swimming all the time in the summer and we are constantly reminding her not to drink the water. If he doesn't have any other symptoms of being ill I would assume that is what happened.
  • Happens to us too. I also have a drinker. I'm sure your LO is fine, probably just a too full belly
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Taylor has puked on at least 2 pool decks that I remember.  She has a strong gag reflex and gags on pool water and pukes.  For this reason, we NEVER take her swimming after eating.  Like if we are staying at a hotel, we either go swimming in the afternoon (2-3 hours after lunch) or go first thing in the morning before the kids eat.  (or usually both)  If we get in late and need to eat dinner (some trips we intentially drive until 7-8 pm), then we wait until morning to swim.
  • Yes, DS2 does it.  He is always smiling in the pool so he ends up drinking a lot and then it all comes up.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks all...he was all good overnight & this morning so I'm pretty sure it was jsut the water & food thing.
    Sooooo I guess the wait one hour until swimming rule might have a basis in some real issue once in awhile.
  • I used to teach swimming. Puking pool water was the norm for the younger kids. They get so excited or afraid and gulp the water then barf allover. Don't worry about it he'll be fine as long as its not repeated vomiting
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagersrn02:
    I used to teach swimming. Puking pool water was the norm for the younger kids. They get so excited or afraid and gulp the water then barf allover. Don't worry about it he'll be fine as long as its not repeated vomiting

what'st he protocol for the pool? they cleared it out & MH said they were all acting like they didn't know what to do, which I thought was weird b/c I figured it was not that unusual an occurence (this is an indoor 'activity pool' that is geared toward younger kids & open year round).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"