3rd Trimester

Natural remedys instead of Zantac: Probiotics

My husband takes natural probiotics instead of Zantac to deal with his stomach issues.  I am finding that Zantac 150's aren't working anymore.  Peppermint tea or chamomile tea isn't doing crap anymore.  suggestions?   I do plan on calling the docs but I wanted to know if anyone had experiences with these.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Natural remedys instead of Zantac: Probiotics

• I use FloraStor for DS - they make it for both kids and adults.  I've never used it - I think I really do need something more specific for acid/reflux.  Worth a shot!  The only downside:  it's expensive!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've heard a lot of good things about probiotics but I don't really know the nitty gritty. Can you just eat yogurt?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemeow78:
    I've heard a lot of good things about probiotics but I don't really know the nitty gritty. Can you just eat yogurt?

You can buy probiotics at the store; just ask the pharmacist. : it has directions on the bottle.
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • I have taken probiotics everyday (nature's made I believe) even before I was pregnant to help with digestion. One time I had really bad heartburn - I woke up in the middle of the night in tears bc I felt like I was dying. Tums did nothing for me so my BF made me a cup of ginger tea and that helped ALOT. Ginger has really been my go to remedy for everything stomach related... I swore by it in the 1st trimester when I had morning sickness or whenever I felt like I was dying from all of these hormonal changes

Yes I'm a little dramatic but in all seriousness I would try probiotics or ginger tea before I try OTC meds. My friend who had twins actually told me about it and she swears it made dealing with her heartburn so much easier.

• I've had some luck with coconut water and Ginger People candy.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yep. DH's bottle costs something like 40 bucks.  I guess I will give it a try.
  • My mom told me last night I should try dried papaya. She said it helps some people more than others but can be found at the healthfood store. She is a midwife and Im not sure why she held out until week 34 to relay this info...lol. but I might pick up some this weekend and give it a shot. Im sure my LO is as sick of TUMS as I am.
  • I started out this pregnancy with one Zantac 75 in the morning and 2 Tums at night. I am now up to Zantac 150 every morning and every night plus Tums throughout the day. Not sure where I will go fro here.

My OB mentioned adding in either Prevacid or Prilosec (can't remember which), but I am hoping to hang in there like this for a few more weeks. 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Zantac hasn't done a thing for me! I take 2 zantac in the morning and 2 at night and still wake up in tears. I have heard ginger helps alot so I will be trying that. Ginger tea sounds like a good idea!

• Cut dairy.

I did a Whole30 from week 18 of pregnancy to week 22/23 and one of the results was no heartburn. I never get it outside of pregnancy but had it last time I was pregnant as well.

I did a reintroduction of several different foods to see how my body reacts and as soon as I ate dairy the heartburn came back.  Side note: so did swelling in my ankles as soon as I ate gluten.

There was a piece in the NYTs not so long ago about cutting dairy products from diet eliminating heartburn. I am a believer now.

• imageMelleTX:

I started out this pregnancy with one Zantac 75 in the morning and 2 Tums at night. I am now up to Zantac 150 every morning and every night plus Tums throughout the day. Not sure where I will go fro here.

My OB mentioned adding in either Prevacid or Prilosec (can't remember which), but I am hoping to hang in there like this for a few more weeks. 

This is exactly what I did.  I don't want to try and change to another OTC.  I have 5 weeks left til I get my tummy back and we have all this other stuff in the house. 

• Culturelle has worked for us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My sister gave me Zypan and some chewable original papaya enzymes that she used in her pregnancy per her midwife's recommendation. I never needed them really so never asked my dr about them. Supposedly they're all natural...
  • I've heard that Ginger pills are supposed to help. I'm in the same spot as you... The Zantac isn't helping much anymore.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"