Baby Showers

What gift do you give at gender reveal party??

I was just wondering if anyone had been to a gender reveal party.. If so what kinds of gifts did you bring. I dont think the mother is expecting gifts, but I would like to give one because she is my best friend! I have heard diapers and wipes, bottles... I just think all that is boring! Do I buy two gifts one for a boy one for a girl and just give the right one after we all find out? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

DS born 5/15/2010

Trying for #2 Since April 18, 2013 

BFP July 18, 2014

EDD baby #2 March 28, 2015

Re: What gift do you give at gender reveal party??

• I love the idea of all your friends and family being able to find out together and not on facebook or something stupid like that! And like I said she is not expecting gifts, but I hate to go somewhere empty handed!! Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it!

DS born 5/15/2010

Trying for #2 Since April 18, 2013 

BFP July 18, 2014

EDD baby #2 March 28, 2015

• These parties are not gift giving parties.  I don't see why you can't just give her a gift whenever yo uwant vs making a point to do it at the party when others may not bring a gift. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • We had a Gender Reveal party - and it definitely was NOT a gift giving thing. There were a few people that showed up with gifts (which we did not expect AT ALL)...but it was just a gender neutral onsie or something small like that. No need to bring a gift - but if you are like me and always like to give SOMETHING - just something really small like a gender neutral onsie, a pacifier set, a card etc is just fine! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't consider a sex reveal party a gift-giving event, but if you usually take some sort of host/hostess gift with you whenever you go to someone's house for a social occasion, then I'd just go with whatever sort of gift you'd normally take to a dinner party or other gathering at someone's home.  For me, that would usually be a bottle of wine or sparkling cider.
  • Maybe a hand/foot print kit or a neutral fill-in-the-blank baby book? Something like that could work.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'd bring a yummy pregnancy friendly dip w/ a bag of chips or apple cider to share since it's fall :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • As the others have said, Gender reveal parties are not gift giving events. That being said, I see where you are coming from in terms of wanting to buy your BF something. If you want to bring her something, you could get her a gender neutral picture frame or onesie, but try to keep it on the low cost side.

As for the Gender reveal party itself, I don't think it's AWish or tacky because I see it along the lines of BBQs, birthday parties, Engagement parties, and house warming events. Usually, with those events, guests still tend to bring presents even though they are a non-gift giving event. I honestly think that some people think the gender reveal party is tacky because it is a relatively new thing.

• imageJoy2611:

I ..uh.. wouldn't bring a gift?

I've never been invited to one of these ridiculous parties, but I know I wouldn't bring a present.

This. Then again, I'd most likely decline the invite, anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think of gender reveal parties as gift giving events but, then, I've never known anyone in real life to have one. But, I get the not wanting to go to party empty handed feeling.

So, if you want to bring something, I think you go the normal hostess gift route (you could even bring them a bottle of wine or champagne with a note to save it to celebrate LO's arrival), or if you want to go baby-related, I think a small toy or some other gender neutral item would be acceptable. Don't stress yourself out by buying both a boy and girl gift only to then have to return the one you don't give her.

• I am going to my friends in a couple of weeks, and she said no gifts either.. so I offered to help her if she needed any help with it... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am planning to do a gender reveal when family is in town for Christmas. Only immediate family will be invited. The reason that we are doing it is that we learned about a local company that does mobile 4D ultrasounds in your home. This is an opportunity for family to get together and be a part of our pregnancy, especially my brother and sister-in-law who live so far away. I would feel bad if anyone brings a gift that evening... it's not the intent of the gathering.

• Exhibit A why parties like these are moronic. 

"But, I want to celebrate the BAAAAAAAYBEEEEEE! I don't want presents, I just want them  to come celebrate!"

Bottom line:  People feel like they should bring gifts when invited over to any sort of a event.  The more "special" the event, the more they feel they should spend/more they feel they need a present.  Hell, when my friends invite me over for dinner, I still bring wine or dessert, even if they tell me not to.  Why? Because it's polite to bring a gift for your host/ess.  

Now if you're inviting me over to celebrate anything specific, I'm feeling even more obligated to bring a gift.    Then I have this debate between do I bring a gift and be the only one to do so or do I not bring a gift and be the only one not to do so? 

It's awkward all around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • I would bring something small.i think its sweet. She is your best friend. Lol when my best friend was expecting i spoiled her baby withgifts as well. Do pacifiers or something and if no one else brings a gift just give it to her on the sly.
  • Baby photo album or one of those frames that has a space for each month of their first year.
  • imagebigday111111:

I was just wondering if anyone had been to a gender reveal party.. If so what kinds of gifts did you bring. I dont think the mother is expecting gifts, but I would like to give one because she is my best friend! I have heard diapers and wipes, bottles... I just think all that is boring!

All of that is boring...much like the idea of an entire party dedicated to a single answer to a question. (Personally, I'm not against the idea of sharing the gender in a fun way to family and friends. I'm against it when there are invitations specifically for the purpose.)

The diapers will be appreciated by your friend. Get her what you would normally get her upon hearing the news she's expecting. Or get her something that will be helpful.

If you still insist on being 'creative', then buy some cinnamon and sugar for a girl and some snails and a puppy for a boy(please don't cut off the tail, that's animal cruelty).

• imageStarBe:
    I'd bring a yummy pregnancy friendly dip w/ a bag of chips or apple cider to share since it's fall :[/quote

Great idea.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"