2nd Trimester

Are designer maternity jeans worth it?

I really love the look of these maternity jeans - I have looked at some at the mall and they are just really frumpy looking. Would it be a total waste to get designer maternity jeans? We are planning on having another kid or two so I could probably wear them again. Plus I could sell them on ebay when I am done right? Hmm maybe in the end they would cost about the same as cheap jeans. My mom said she had to wear tents when she was pregnant but I want to feel good about how I look! If you wear designer jeans when you aren't pregnant - would you buy these?
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Are designer maternity jeans worth it?

• Lurking from TTGP but also a 3x mom here. 

I wouldn't buy $200 jeans, because I can tell you now it's more common than you know to change sizes while you are pregnant.  3rd trimester is a whole new ball game in terms of weight gain, and many women go from a maternity size small to medium, or medium to large, or even jump 2 sizes, so those cute jeans may fit nicely now, but probably won't last through your entire pregnancy. 

Some women gain weight only in the belly, but most get it in different places also, including your hips and thighs. So no, I'd stick to nice but not-so-expensive maternity jeans,unless you know these jeans have a LOT of stretch to them.

JMO from a BTDT :) 

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• I don't think I could ever justify spending almost $200 on a single pair of jeans, but that's just me.  I bought some that I love from Motherhood and they were under $40.00. 
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • No. No thank you.

I don't think I've spent more than $30 on a pair of jeans in my life. Do not plan to, ever. There is no way in hell I would spend nearly $200 on a pair of maternity jeans that I'll use for less than a year. F that. That's more than my monthly electric bill. lmao

Stickin' with Old Navy, here. If I was going to spend more, I'd do GAP... I think these are cuter than what you posted, and they're less than half the price.

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6019&vid=1&pid=871404002

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I've been wanting to buy some Citizens and 7 for All Mankind from a consignment shop but I thought they were still pricey for used. $50-$80 when at Nordstrom Rack, they cost around the same for non maternity designer jeans. Another consignment shop had some for $10-$20 but never in my size.

I love my designer jeans but since becoming pregnant, I'm becoming more conscious about where my money goes. $200 for a pair of jeans or $200 worth of needed baby items? But if you have the money, go for it. I went to H&M and bought my maternity jeans there and have no complaints. 

• I found some really cute ones at Old Navy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedaylights1:

I bought pricey jeans at pea n the pod and I loved them.  That being said, I bought them more for the fit than for the brand.  I just couldn't find any like the ones I wanted any where else.  I think you can find jeans similar to these at the gap for a third of the price.  

I would go to the gap first and check out their skinny jeans then try pea in the pod.  they have 7 for all man kind jeans.  

Our gap doesn't have maternity. =(

• imageScarletOflaherty:

Lurking from TTGP but also a 3x mom here. 

I wouldn't buy $200 jeans, because I can tell you now it's more common than you know to change sizes while you are pregnant.  3rd trimester is a whole new ball game in terms of weight gain, and many women go from a maternity size small to medium, or medium to large, or even jump 2 sizes, so those cute jeans may fit nicely now, but probably won't last through your entire pregnancy. 

Some women gain weight only in the belly, but most get it in different places also, including your hips and thighs. So no, I'd stick to nice but not-so-expensive maternity jeans,unless you know these jeans have a LOT of stretch to them.

That is a good point although I'd like to stay in denial. =) And those jeans don't seem to have much stretch.

• imageBliss+Berry:
    I bought a couple pairs of Paige jeans, so I would say yes.  I wear jeans a lot though.  

I do too! I didn't know Paige has maternity jeans. What is the price range?

• imageRynleigh:

No. No thank you.

I don't think I've spent more than $30 on a pair of jeans in my life. Do not plan to, ever. There is no way in hell I would spend nearly $200 on a pair of maternity jeans that I'll use for less than a year. F that. That's more than my monthly electric bill. lmao

Stickin' with Old Navy, here. If I was going to spend more, I'd do GAP... I think these are cuter than what you posted, and they're less than half the price.

OMG, I love those gap jeans! Thanks!

• No way. I tried on Pea in the Pod and 7 jeans at Destination Maternity, along with Motherhood brand. The Motherhood brand were WAY more flattering. And about $100 cheaper. You are wearing these for literally a few months.

I am of the thought though that a pregnant woman looks ridicululous in a skinny jean. Probably an UO, but even in that picture, that woman's shape looks terrible in those things. Pregnant women need some balance. Boots with them might be fine, but the flats? No way.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • before you spend the money, try out H&M maternity...i have found really cute jeans, i like them way more than my regular jeans! plus they are only in the $20-$30 price range but they don't look like it at all. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you try really hard... you can find decent affordable maternity jeans.  I got mine from H&M.  Even if your local Gap doesn't have a maternity department - buy online, its probably worth the savings.

Another suggestion is, if you have a pair of jeans that you love...  take them to a tailor.  They can take off the waistband, add a panel, and voila - Maternity jeans!  I learned this from a local boutique maternity shop that carries all the high end jeans - and they told me to just bring in a pair of my own jeans and they could work their magic.  They can also put them back to normal jeans when done.

Good Luck!

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • imagefirefly2013:
    imageRynleigh:

No. No thank you.

OMG, I love those gap jeans! Thanks!

Don't forget to use that GAPFEST 30% off code if you're going to get them. Knock the price down more.  

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• I buy non-maternity designer jeans but I couldn't justify the expense for the maternity ones.  I found some really cute Citizens of Humanity ones at Pea in the Pod for around $200 but honestly, the $40 ones I found at Motherhood Maternity fit just as well. 

I figure that I can wear my normal designer jeans for years but the maternity ones will be a few months max.  To me, it wasn't worth it.  They have some cute Gap maternity jeans for about $70.  I tried some on in the store and they do tend to run a little bit big so if you have the option of trying on before buying, I'd suggest that.   

• I can't justify ever paying that much for jeans. I just bought 2 pair of maternity jeans from Old Navy and love them.
  • I cannot wear jeans to work, so for me it wouldn't be worth it to buy a $200 pair of jeans to wear occasionally on weekends for 4 months. If I stay home, or play with my 2 year old, I'd rather wear sweats or yoga pants and get "down and dirty."
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I bought a pair of Motherhood jeans and they make me cry with the saggy crotch. Every time I get up, the crotch sags, and when I walk around the crotch sags over time. I pulled them up by the elastic waistband (once) and it ripped. Totally not impressed, but you get what you pay for.

I bought one pair of bootcut Sevens at Pea in the Pod and I absolutely love them. They are extremely stretchy, more stretchy than my non maternity Sevens. I am borrowing a pair of my friend's Old Navy jeans and I am not that impressed, but they are a size bigger than my normal size, so that might have something to do with it.

I do not think I would buy skinnies from Seven/Citzen et al unless they were on Gilt at a discount. I have yet to go to Gap, but a lot of my friends loved Gap jeans. Out here, most people have their favorite cut in designer maternity and then fill out with Gap maternity jeans. As for whether or not it is worth it, I think if you spend that much on jeans regularly and you wear jeans a lot, one pair in your favorite cut is worth the expense. 

So for me, 200 dollar jeans for at least 20 weeks is 40 dollars every four weeks-and I am sure I will wear them for at least a month (if not two or three) or post partum. For me and the COLA where I am, that is really nothing.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I JUST GOT A PAIR OF jESSICA SIMPSON ONES AND I REALLY LIKE THEM, THEY ARE $80
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageRynleigh:

No. No thank you.

This! x100

BabyFetus Ticker
  • the skinny jean jeggings maternity from old navy are super comfy and like $20-30 depending on sale...(they always have sales online)....be sure to buy a size bigger they run small
    "You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you. " - Fight Club BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family 1/29/11 - BFP (not even trying) 3/7/11 - M/C 6/1/11 - TTC 5/25/12 - BFP ~ Due 2/2/13
  • Before I got pregnant I told my DH I was going to buy designer maternity jeans, but then I got pregnant and couldn't fork out the $. I had one pair of Motherhood jeans with DD four years ago and they were horrible, unflattering and plain ugly, but they were $19 and money was tight. I found maternity jeans at H&M and they are great, I think they were $35ish- I work in an office where you can only wear jeans on Friday's so like PP's have said I couldn't really justify $$$ on jeans I would be wearing as my comfy clothes. And with DD at home it's not like we go out a lot, the occasional date night every few weeks but not enough to warrant the $. 
  • I think they are totally worth it, given you wear them on a daily basis.  The last thing I wanted was to feel uncomfortable or frumpy.  I bought mine on Ebay for $100.00 because I already knew my size and they are in awesome condition.  I also bought the more expensive Pea in the Pod work pants which are far superior to the Motherhood pants that are too short, thinner material and feel like they are going to fall apart a lot quicker.  I like you are a FTM and plan on having more children, and also wear the jeans/pants several times per week.  Totally worth it in my book!
  • Never. I buy all my maternity jeans from ROSS or similar stores. I still can fit into some of my regular jeans, so there is no way I am spending $200.00 on jeans for 3 more months.

• I got a pair of Paige Premium maternity jeans on ebay for $50. I would look first into buying them on ebay... you can get great deals on jeans that have maybe been worn a couple of times.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I'm lurking and frequently post on PAIF.

I bought a pair of AG and a pair of 7 For All Mankind maternity jeans. I tried the Motherhood brand and they did not fit well and were very unattractive. I where these 2 pair all the time. I was lucky and found them at an outlet store, so they weren't full price but still worth every penny!

Me- 26 DH-32
    TTC since August 2010
    Unexplained Infertility
    5 rounds of clomid and 4 rounds of tamoxifen = BFN
    IUI #1 - Jan 2012 with Tamoxifen - BFN IUI #2 - Feb 2012 Cancelled :(
    IVF #1- May 2012: BFP on 05/29/12!! 06/01 Beta #1= 122 06/04 Beta #2 74 :( - C/P
    06/07/12 = BFN Moving onto IVF #2 August 2012
    22 retrieved, 13 fertilized, none to freeze
    Transferred two embies on 08/19. Beta 1 is 08/31 Beta #1-122 Beta #2- 541
    1st U/S 09/12- 1 sac!
    Praying this is my take home baby!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My Blog!
  • I feel as if its a waste of money to buy maternity clothes.. unless you are rich :)
  • I wouldn't because other than the label, they don't look at all special.  So, what's the point?  Besides, because of the maternity panel in the front, you'd need to wear a long shirt anyway which would hide the label on the back pocket. 
    imageimage
    Me: 35 DH: 30 TTC since 1/2010 DX: 6/15/2011: MFI IVF with ICSI

IVF #1: Sept 2011: Beta 10/10- BFP!! 1st u/s 10/31/11 1 blighted ovum, 1 embryo 2nd u/s 11/14/11 stopped growing, no h/b D/C 11/17/11

IVF #2: FET 5/4/12 : Beta 5/16/12 BFN

IVF #3: ET 7/6/12 : 7/18 Beta #1 BFP at 246, 7/20 Beta #2 at 713, 7/27 Beta #3 at 9068. 1st u/s 8/7 with one lovely hb.
    Mabel is here! 2/17/13!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I love the Paige maternity jeans. so cute!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I pretty much stopped wearing jeans in first tri b/c nothing fit me right and I was so uncomfortable, and maternity jeans wouldn't stay up, but when I bought some motherhood maternity jeans, my husband was like "DAMN I MISSED THAT ASS" so, I think they are pretty flattering.... I like my $30 jeans just fine
  • I bought some Citizen maternity jeans on eBay for $50 and they look brand new. I'm between sizes so I bought a size up. I needed some skinny jeans for my boots, so I bought some of those from Old Navy for $30... I totally recommend looking on eBay! There are tons on there.
  • No.  I've got a few pair from Gap, and a few pair from ON.  As PP said, you are VERY likely to change sizes as you get bigger.  I had a pair of Paige last time (that I got cheap on Ebay) and they did not fit me past about 25w.  
  • I got a really nice pair from Motherhood Maternity (it's a chain) for under $40. They are dark wash and really nice looking, and so comfortable I fully plan to wear them after the baby :) They even had petite sizes that actually fit me in the length!
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageScarletOflaherty:

Lurking from TTGP but also a 3x mom here. 

I agree. Not to mention I wouldn't buy skinny jeans just because I think they're too trendy to stay in style through multiple pregnancies.

I splurged ($60 for me) on a pair of Long and Lean jeans from Gap while I was pg with my first. (Like these https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6017&vid=1&pid=761868002) While I do love them, they didn't fit through the 3rd trimesters. Then those frumpy jeans fit just fine. 

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I agree w/ PPs that suggest The Gap.  They have a lot of sales so you can get about 4 pairs (which may cover every maternity jean style they carry) for the $200 price tag on those Pea in the Pod jeans.  I have two pairs of the always skinny and even though I have not worn them out...love them based on breaking them in around the house.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • A Pea In The Pod. I couldn't fathom spending that much money on jeans I'd only be wearing for a few months, but holy shizballs... they are my absolute favorite and I literally wear them every single day. I have several different brands of maternity jeans, and nothing fits and feels the way they do. FI actually loves the way they look; they are his favorite jeans of mine too, and he says that they don't look like maternity jeans, they fit really well, and look sexy. (Mind you, he has never said this about any other jeans of mine before)

I got mine at Destination Maternity. They usually have sales, or you may be able to find coupons online. On sale, the jeans were $90 and worth every single penny. 

ETA: Oh wait... what kind of "designer" jeans are we talking about? Maybe my jeans don't really qualify as "designer".... whatever, either way, they were an awesome purchase. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DW had to buy dark wash GAP 1969 skinny jeans for her work uniform and she got the demi panel maternity one.  She says they are very comfortable, and even though some comments on the GAP site complain the calves are not truly "skinny", I think the jeans look really great.  And of course, they are usually on sale 1-2 days of the week.

If you wear jeans a lot and insist on spending $80-200 for designer jeans, may as well throw in a pair of these for $40 and compare and have more choices to wear.

• I bought a pair of the 1969 gap jeans and they are adorable! (and like 1/3 the price of 7s)

Its all well and good assuming that you'll be able to wear them more than one pregnancy, but out our body may or may nt be the same. You can even be the same weight and a different size. It just depends on person. I am wearing the pair Of gap long and lean jeans I wore 3rd tri my first pregnancy and I doubt they will make t til the end this time around. I bough my new pair a size up and I'm happy with them :) 

-------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Designer jeans are not worth it! I loved my Seraphine maternity jeans so much, they were so much more comfortable than my regular jeans!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"