2nd Trimester
Options

Anyone here on 2nd child and need to buy a new vehicle?

I have a Saturn Ion here and the back seat is so scrunchy and there is no way we can place 2 car seats back there, so we have to buy a new vehicle.  I want an SUV.  We like Suburu Forresters and Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Fe's.  Any recommendations?

Re: Anyone here on 2nd child and need to buy a new vehicle?

• Options
    I have a Santa Fe and love it! It has a third row also, so has room to grow :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

We needed to do this as well!  We drove a Hyundai Santa Fe along with ALLOT of other crossover's.  The Santa Fe was our favorite and it had great reviews and quality checks.  If my first son was more of an average size we would have gone for it in a heart beat.  We ended up with something bigger since my son is 13 and 6'3" and still growing!  A dodge Grand Caravan which I love!

Happy shopping!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmmm.  I fit three carseats in the back of my tiny Honda Civic, even with two rear facing (radians are great for this).  I didn't need a bigger car until now with baby #4.  Are you sure you need a new one? 

• Options

You don't *have* to buy a new vehicle, you *want* to buy a new vehicle.

Plenty of people fit two carseats in cars that size and smaller. 

• Options

You probably can fit two seat in your car if you buy the right seats (diono radian and clek foonf are the narrowest, lowest profile seats on the market and also have among the tallest shells, which translates to longevity since kids outgrow seats for height long before weight). I had two rear facing in my VW beetle for a long time then one FF one RF until this summer (actually there still are seats for each in it). We didn't get a bigger/second car until this summer, when my kids were 5 and 3 and we're expecting #3 (and a beetle only has four seatbelts, so we're officially outgrowing it... it's our second car now).

The smaller SUVs are all actually the same as a sedan as far as passenger space, so you'll get a bit more storage (they're the same as a sedan but with a wagon-style back and raised up to not look like that) but you will not gain passenger space trading up to one of those. When they were new the CRV was built on a civic platform and the rav4 was a corolla. Not positive if it's still the truth (if not they may be built on mid-size sedan platforms now), but it's a myth that those cars offer more passenger space than sedans. They're cute cars, nothing wrong with them, but they are no bigger than a sedan.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No..... but we're on our 6th child and have to buy a new vehicle. LOL

We have a Chrysler Town & Country right now which only seats 7. 2 captain chairs in front, 2 in back, and a bench in the back. We're totally maxed out.

We're getting an 8 passenger GMC Acadia after the first of the year.

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We need to see if DD's carseat will fit FF behind DH in our truck.  Like soon...
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemommajewels87:

No..... but we're on our 6th child and have to buy a new vehicle. LOL

We have a Chrysler Town & Country right now which only seats 7. 2 captain chairs in front, 2 in back, and a bench in the back. We're totally maxed out.

We're getting an 8 passenger GMC Acadia after the first of the year.

We bought an Acadia back in November and love it- we're only on #2 right now so it was a want of mine :)  not a need but it's great for carting around lots of people and stuff. It still has a good amount of storage in the back behind the 3rd seat where I've noticed with a lot of cars you either get the seating or the storage, not both; I didn't realize (until the salesman told me) that Acadia's are bigger than Tahoe's.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

My mom passed her Subaru Forrester (this was her 2nd one) on to me with 70,000 miles.  I LOVE IT!!!!  We have a 75 pound dog and travel quite a bit.  It's going to be tight with 2 kids and the dog, but it will still work.  If we didn't have the dog, this would be a fabulous car for a family of 4.  I love my car so much, we're going to get the luggage container for the top of the car so we can continue to keep the car. 

There aren't many used Forresters out there because everyone keeps them for so long!  They are the best!  My mom upgraded to the the new Subaru Outback which is a little bit bigger.  That would be the ideal size for us, but I think a Forrester would work for 2 parents and 2 kids.  My BFF has one too and has 2 kids. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Our Little Guy due 4/14/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We have a Honda CRV and a Honda Civic, and we love both of them!  I would confirm that passenger space in the Civic and CRV are comparable, but what I love about the CRV is the trunk space.  The trunk is spacious and has a shelf that can be taken in and out.  I can put my stroller on one level and my groceries or whatever else on another level - and easily get both in and out.  Also, if you care about such things, the CRV has more options than the Civic.
  • Options
    We just got a Nissan Rogue in April. That or a Nissan Murano. They are both really nice, reasonably priced, have some great options. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options

Only on my first, but we just bought a new car for baby; I owned an old 2 door SUV, not practical.

We were looking at the Ford Escape and Hyundai Tuscon.  Ended up getting a Hyundai Santa Fe.  So far I love it!.  I liked the Tuscon, but it wasn't as spacious as i was used to.  We got a 2 year old vehicle with all the bells and whistles.

good luck!

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have the same car, Ion, and I want another car for LO2 that's coming but, I don't think I NEED one. I put my daughter and another RF convertible car seat for a friends LO in my ion last week and it would work but, I want more cargo room for a double stroller, and all the stuff I tote around already. 
    I like the Forresters and CRVs so far in my search. But, the CRV and other small SUVs are going to give you the same amount of backseat room as an Ion, pretty much. Good luck on your search.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I have a Tucson and we are looking into turning in earlier for a bigger model. The infant carsear will make it hard for my H to sit comfortabley when we visit family and other long drives. I also won't be able to hope back there like I did with DS. So, although I love my car, I wouldn't recommend for 2 plus. It's doable, but if you can go a bit bigger I'd say do that! GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I can fit my 2 kids in the back of my Prius with no problem. DD is in a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 and DS in the Evenflo Triumph. There is even some room between the two seats and plenty of leg room too. You don't need an SUV with 2 kids and as others have pointed out the smaller SUVs have the same amount of passenger room as a sedan.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Once we found out we're having triplets, we decided to get a minivan. DH has a brand new Toyota Tundra that we love but are trying to sell. We could probably fit 3 car seats back there but I would have no way to access them. 
  • Options
    We just bought the 2013 Sante Fe Sport in September...love it!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married: 05/14/2011

DS Was Born: 02/10/2013

EDD: 10/19/2015

• Options
    Until my daughter was about 2 1/2 I drove a VW Beetle. She fit in fine rear facing and so did her stroller and any other gear. Having a baby doesn't mean you NEED a larger car. 
  • Options
    I am on to my second child, and need to buy a new car. But it is beacause my old one's undercarage is very rusted and i do not think it will be safe for much longer. My brother is in the process of trying to find me either a Caravan or a Blazer. Right now i have a Pontiac Grand Am, it actually can fit 3 carseats in it just fine. But, need the new one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    We recently got a Suburu Outback.  Love it.  LOVE IT.
  • Options

If OP wants a new car- great, don't give her a hard time about IF she should get one... I drove a Honda Civic until DD was 2, DH couldn't ride in my car if she was in the car because the carseat was too big in the back. We used DH's truck as our family car but he drives it back and forth to construction worksites and it's filthy. We couldn't have put two carseats in the backseat of the Honda and have DH ride with us (he's 6'-5" and could barely ride in the car with the seat all the way back). People automatically jump to assumptions that they know the whole situation- if OP thinks it won't work for her then it won't, end of story. OP's post was for car recommendations, not for people to tell her she doesn't need a new car...

BTW- I drove either a Tuscon or a Santa Fe for about three months last year as a rental (work relocation) and it was nice. (I can't remember which one, it only had one set of rear seats). Plenty of room for the three of us and all of our gear, the weekly airport visits with all the luggage, stroller, etc. that you need for an 18 month old. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageTMWarren85:

If OP wants a new car- great, don't give her a hard time about IF she should get one...

Well Said!  It's not like the original poster asked for your advice on if she should get a new car...

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    I traded my Impreza for a Forester because when DS was rear facing the passengers seat was pushed up to the glove box.  At the time it was our only "family car" since DH had a Ranger with only a front seat.  I think 2 seats would fit fine, but 3 would be difficult because of the way the middle seat is made.  I'll find out soon I guess :)
  • Options

I asked a similar question on Parenting yesterday...maybe you can get some ideas here!

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/69539100.aspx

• Options
    I have a Tuscon and LOVE it! We also looked at the Santa fe, but decided on the Tuscon because it was smaller and easier to handle and park in tight spaces. We are only having our first, but it'll definitely be big enough for our next!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with the other girls-please don't bash anyone for needing a new car. I personally believe if I am going to make payments on a vehicle I will be comfy and so will my kids. I am almost 6 feet tall and when I had my civic everyone bashed me telling me I didn't need a new car and I was just wanting one. Well I had that civic for 3 wks before I traded that baby in! lol! I bought one of the smallest infant seats I could find and I still could not fit in the passenger seat with it behind me. I couldnt' even sit in the seat. so I had to sit in the back seat behind my almost 6 foot tall and very huge and wide hubby and was miserable, we could never travel in it and make it lol. I bought a Toyota Rav-4 which I loved! the backseat can be moved back and forth (like the front seat) so I had the kids pulled closer to the front so I could reach them and then when I sat in the backseat I pulled it back so my legs could fit! it was awesome! I couldn't fit in the backseat of the CR-V either my legs were too long. I suggest bringing your carseat and sit in every way you think you will have to and see which one is more comfy. I now have a Honda Odyssey that I love, I got tired of buying bigger cars so I bought the one I knew my future family would fit in since I wanted the car payments gone :) Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    imagePeanutR1:

Why does everyone jump on someone for getting a new car?  Some people are larger than others. I am 5'9" (or 10", depending on the dr). In our compact (a 2000 Infiniti G20), my knees were bashed into the glove box of we put the infant seat in back. That's not safe, either. And I'm the short one!!

Stop hating. People are looking for advice on car models, not bragging stories of how you can shove 8 kids in your Chevy Volt.  

For those who want to get holier than thou and tell me they are environmentally friendly: I live in an urban area where our car gets driven a fraction of the amount of suburbanites. We walk or take public transportation most of the time, and live in a condo (smaller/tight together, meaning less energy to heat/cool). I have a smaller carbon footprint than the vast majority of Americans. So if I want a new car every 13 years, and I want to be comfortable in It for the 2 hrs drives we use it for, I don't feel bad.  

Preach!  The hormones on the bump wow me sometimes. All they want to do is hate, hate, hate.

• Options
    imagePeanutR1:

Why does everyone jump on someone for getting a new car?  Some people are larger than others. I am 5'9" (or 10", depending on the dr). In our compact (a 2000 Infiniti G20), my knees were bashed into the glove box of we put the infant seat in back. That's not safe, either. And I'm the short one!!

Stop hating. People are looking for advice on car models, not bragging stories of how you can shove 8 kids in your Chevy Volt.  

For those who want to get holier than thou and tell me they are environmentally friendly: I live in an urban area where our car gets driven a fraction of the amount of suburbanites. We walk or take public transportation most of the time, and live in a condo (smaller/tight together, meaning less energy to heat/cool). I have a smaller carbon footprint than the vast majority of Americans. So if I want a new car every 13 years, and I want to be comfortable in It for the 2 hrs drives we use it for, I don't feel bad.  

Preach!  The hormones on the bump wow me sometimes. All they want to do is hate, hate, hate.

• Options
    Right now we have a Subaru Impreza that we can fit two carseats in, and a Jeep Cherokee that needs to be replaced anyway (we use it mostly as a back up car), so the replacement will become our primary vehicle, especially for trips.  We're looking at getting a Forrester in a few months, and, and a friend has a Hyundai, I think it's a Sante Fe, that is really nice too.
  • Options

Picking up our new SUV tomorrow.  I am getting rid of my Jeep Grand Cherokee for the New Dodge Durango.  We needed to get rid of my Jeep because we are moving out of the country and my Leasing company wouldn't allow us to take it with us.

I wanted a 3 row suv for a few reasons:1. just incase we decide to have a third while we are out of the country 2.  because I like to sit in the back and take care of my LO on long car rides..soon to be 2 babies 3. I don't nurse in public and there will be room for me to nurse in the back even with 2 car seats.

I looked at the honda pilot, gmc arcadia, buick enclave, and the durango. I liked the pilot until I saw how much easier it would be to access the third row with captains chairs in the second row. The pilot doesn't offer 2nd row captains chairs. Liked how you can fold down the 3rd row seat 40/60 in the arcadia and enclave and get captains chairs. The durango has the captains chairs but the 3rd row only folds 50/50.  In the end I picked the durango because I could get captains chairs and more bells and whistles for my money. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagedhea502:
    I have a Santa Fe and love it! It has a third row also, so has room to grow :)

I have a Honda Civic right now, and with a toddler and an infant, it's going to be cramped. FI had rented a Santa Fe when his car was in the shop, and we LOVED IT! When it's time to get a new car, we are definitely getting a Santa Fe. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

For what it's worth we love our Subaru Forester!  It's a great car!  

• Options

We travel a lot and didn't want to cram all of our stuff in a small trunk, so we bought a Dodge Grand Caravan. We absolutely love it. We won't need to upgrade our car again unless something crazy happens and kid #3 is triplets or something. lol

Mini van haters gonna hate. ;-) 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    imageMrsKeene12:
    imagePeanutR1:

Yes, a pregnant woman can't POSSIBLY have an actual strong opinion - it must just be hormones! Tee hee, we women are so silly with our preggo hormones and all!

I just roll my eyes at the attitude that OMG I HAVE to have a giant SUV that takes up tons of space because I can't possibly have anything less than 10 feet of leg room inside my car, and I need to be able to put tons of crap in it.  You don't *need* a giant car, you just want one. Own it.

• Options
    Another option not yet mentioned is the mazda cx-9. Love mine!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Trying to find room to place groceries and other things with a stroller in the trunk  and besides the car seat is very scrunchy and when you are tall it doesn't help either.  I have sat in the back seat before next to the car seat, not very comfortable.  I couldn't imagine with another baby.

• Options
    We have an Odyssey. We traded in our Durango for it. We test drove a new Pilot but I wanted the convienence of being able to get to the 3rd row. My two oldest sit in the back and we have middle seat open. My DD sits in the 2nd row and new baby will sit in the 2nd row too. Right now we can have 3 extra people ride in the back until baby is born.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"