October 2012 Moms
Options

I can't pump for shiz... concern? long

Mobile: I can't pump for shiz... concern? long 

I think I'm too tired to be too concerned but would you be?

DD's first two weeks, I was pumping after every feed at the advice of a LC who thought my supply might be low due to a traumatic delivery. It was a PITA but ok because I had my mother and MIL around to help, and DD was sleeping constantly. I normally was getting 4-6oz or so extra a day

Now I very rarely pump, and when I try I am getting pretty much nothing. Example. This morning DD slept 5 hours for the first time (woo!) and then went pretty ravenous on my boobs. However I was pretty engorged so I wanted to pump to be sure I was emptied (paranoia from bout of mastitis)... I went 5 minutes and got 1/4 ounce between both boobs (then she woke up and I needed to tend to her). So I guess good news - she drained me but bad news - I'm not producing extra.

Anyway, I am just getting a little worried for when I go back to work at 12 weeks (but the first 4 weeks I am back DD will be with DH). Should I just cross that bridge when I get to it? DD is gaining weight well and lots of diapers so I know I am producing enough to meet her current needs, just nothing more. 

DD 9/15/12

Re: I can't pump for shiz... concern? long

• Options
    If you stopped pumping and you are only nursing, your body and supply will adjust to that. If you want to build a stash, you'll need to start pumping again to increase your supply again.

• Options

You can't just pump here and there - you have to pump at the same time every day so your body adjusts and makes extra milk.  It'll take up to a week for your body to adjust.

Always pump after you nurse and I find pumping the morning to be the best since that's when your body makes the most milk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses though they aren't what I want to hear. She eats too often during the day for me to fit in a regular pump session and spend quality wakeful time with her. Hopefully her schedule regulates in the next few weeks with a more predictable nap I can use to pump. I don't like skipping feedings quite yet as I selfishly like that time together.
    DD 9/15/12
  • Options
    If you're worried about building up a stash for when you go back to work, you can do what my friend did: About 3 weeks  before she had to go back, she had her DH give a bottle of formula at night while she pumped, so she could build a stash. She was in the same position as you, she wasn't able to fit in a pump session between feedings. While this isn't ideal, it may work, GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"