April 2013 Moms

Anyone having issues not being able to prepare?

Me and my husband are moving to L.A. so I've put off doing much. I am repressing the nesting instinct and doing pretty much nothing but looking up everything about the baby and pregnancy. I'm running out of things to look up, and not being able to prepare for the baby is starting to drive me up the wall. Does anyone else relate? Or have any advice? Thanks
BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: Anyone having issues not being able to prepare?

• I am also putting off preparing. I am living in a really rural part of Cambodia (necessary for my work) and I will be moving to Phnom Penh (the capital) in January and then going to Bangkok, Thailand in mid-March where I will stay until I deliver. I think we will end up back in Phnom Penh after I deliver, but we won't have a place arranged to live in advance. It sucks because we have to keep our purchases to a minimum and I can't prepare a nursery. I know the nursery is more for the parents than for the child, but it still sucks. 

When are you moving? 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had similar feelings last time b/c DH made me wait til after the shower to buy anything. Also we didn't have a nursery anyway, which made me sad. In hindsight it was not a big deal though.

You can start setting money aside for baby expenses if you want. Whenever you have an extra $20 that you'd want to spend on baby, put it on a walmart/BRU/target gift card to use later. That way when you are ready, you have all the money set aside. 

You can also start an online registry to start planning out what you want/need...  

But really there are very few things that newborns actually need, so it is not the end of the world if you're not "prepared."   

• Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same boat. My husband is in the Army and we are leaving for Germany shortly after the baby is born; therefore, there is no point of trying to create a fairytale nursery. We will me fixing/up and selling the house the same time the baby is coming, which will def. equate to chaos I am sure.

DSC_0214
  • I am also unable to nest.  We put in an offer in on a house however it is a short sale.  This means we have to play the waiting game to see if the bank will accept our offer.  They said it could take up to 6 months and there is no guarentee that we will get the house even then.  It will be 6 months in March (right around when I am 8 months preggo!)  Praying it happens sooner! AHHHHH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a friend who was in a very similar situation and she did her research on each item she wanted (especially bigger things) and then bought a box of cheap envelopes and would put a little picture of the item on the envelope  and then she'd save money and whenever she got enough saved for one of the items she'd put the money in and seal the envelope and put it in a special basket.  I dunno if this would help you at all, but she said it helped her feel like she was checking things off of her list when she couldn't physically get things, plus once they moved into their house she was able to go on a full our shopping spree and get everything she'd been dreaming of all at once.

good luck!! 

• We have a three bedroom house with plenty of room that we're not leaving anytime soon but I still haven't done anything. I bought one toy and only received one gift from a friend. My husband threw some paint on the wall yesterday so we can start to decide on a nursery color. Otherwise, the baby's room is still an office which is filled with books and non-baby related furniture. I figure I'll get more motivated after my anatomy scan.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagercantor:
    We have a three bedroom house with plenty of room that we're not leaving anytime soon but I still haven't done anything. I bought one toy and only received one gift from a friend. My husband threw some paint on the wall yesterday so we can start to decide on a nursery color. Otherwise, the baby's room is still an office which is filled with books and non-baby related furniture. I figure I'll get more motivated after my anatomy scan.

This exactly. 

I actually haven't felt the desire to start nesting yet, so the nursery-to-be is just a room full of junk for the time being.  I'm too tired and icky feeling to actually do anything.

Sara B BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I can definately relate on the not being prepared idea.  For the 1st 3 months I refused to buy anything bc I couldn't go to the Dr till around the beginning of the 3rd month and I fealt like I would "jinx" the pregnancy if I bought anything bc I was having severe cramping steady for the 1st couple months.  Now that I've had a couple appointments and I know everything is great I still find myself being gun shy about buying things.  Part of it still feels surreal. We are very excited about having a baby and I'm hoping that after we find out the sex my urge to shop will kick in gear. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm in a similar situation. 

We're in the midst of buying a new house but the selling bank hasn't cleared the title yet so we're in an indefinite holding pattern. To say that it's frustrating to want to get things settles is an understatement.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are moving out of our house in a few weeks into temporary housing while our home is remodeled.  We won't be able to move back in until new baby is about 1 or 2 months old, so no advance shopping for us either. 

You can still research the gear you want/need and make a registry, and put all the money you need for those purchases aside.  You can also search on pinterest or google for nursery photos you like for ideas how you would like to decorate once baby is here - even go to Home Depot or whatever to pick out the paint color if that's part of your plan. 

Our nursery was our old guest room, so we didn't set her room up until I was 9 months pg last time. There's really no rush.

• Yes yes yes!  DH gets out of the Army in May and we will be moving away from this crappy town we both hate before LO is even a month old.  So we're going to buy a PnP (or hopefully, get one as a shower gift) with a bassinet and baby will just sleep in our room until after the move.  There's no way we're buying a bunch of nursery furniture and toys and junk that we'll just need to move right away (and we all know newborns don't use toys, even though they are adorable).  So we're only buying basics. 

I love the envelope idea!  I might need to start that, or something like it.

What I've been doing (and this is tough too, as I did it pretty thoroughly last year before I moved here) is trying to go through my stuff and give away/throw away what I don't need anymore.  It's good to do before moving, and feels kind of like nesting to me.  Since I just did it though, I'm not having much luck.  A couple pairs of shoes and clothes I thought I would wear but didn't, and a couple things I got newer versions of as gifts is all I've been able to manage.  But I'm trying.

• Maybe I'm alone on this, but I won't let myself buy anything for the nursery or for my baby until I am much further along....like 6 or 7 months pregnant.  I just don't think I could handle it if something happened and I had a bunch of stuff reminding me of what I lost.  Maybe I just need to take a chill pill, but I'm still constantly scared.   Plus it gives me lots of time to think about what I really want.
  • I feel ya!  My husband and I have been moving around the country for the past 6 months.  We will find out in January if we have to move again.  I'm not going to buy anything until we find out the sex anyway, but I won't buy any big items at all until we find out if we are moving or not.  I really hope I don't have to move!  I really like my doctor here and the hospital is great.
  • imageRavenlovesZeek:
    Me and my husband are moving to L.A. so I've put off doing much. I am repressing the nesting instinct and doing pretty much nothing but looking up everything about the baby and pregnancy. I'm running out of things to look up, and not being able to prepare for the baby is starting to drive me up the wall. Does anyone else relate? Or have any advice? Thanks

I think all the PPs made great points, so I just want to add, Welcome to LA!  it's a great place to be!!
  • I have a ton of things from when my Daughter was a baby that I am DYING to go through... I just have to wait to find out the sex. I don't want to get rid of the girly things if we end up with another girl. But all I want to do when I'm at home is clean and organize things and make room for new things. Luckily MH brought to my attention downsizing on toys and starting a rotation. DD has entirely too many toys, and since they will be sharing a room, I can start reducing the amount she has in there now.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageChrisLipstick:

I am also putting off preparing. I am living in a really rural part of Cambodia (necessary for my work) and I will be moving to Phnom Penh (the capital) in January and then going to Bangkok, Thailand in mid-March where I will stay until I deliver. I think we will end up back in Phnom Penh after I deliver, but we won't have a place arranged to live in advance. It sucks because we have to keep our purchases to a minimum and I can't prepare a nursery. I know the nursery is more for the parents than for the child, but it still sucks. 

When are you moving? 

I'm moving in maybe 2 weeks (i hope) and we are going to have to stay with friends until we can afford our own place. It really does suck not being able to build a nursery. 

• imagemrskumie:
    imageRavenlovesZeek:

I think all the PPs made great points, so I just want to add, Welcome to LA!  it's a great place to be!!

Thanks! I've missed it! 

• We're having a house built and not sure if it will be ready by May or not. We already have most things from DS but not being able to do the nursery until after baby is born is going to be hard.
  • I'm holding off on buying things for now, but my pinterest boards are getting out of control.  Helps me research and keep track of stuff I like.  I figure it will also help me sort out impulse things and stuff I really want when I go back through when it is time to buy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"