June 2013 Moms

Artificial sweeteners

I've found some varying schools of thought on this one; your thoughts are appreciated. As a former chubby girl (lost 70 lbs a few years ago), I've swore off sugar completely and have not eaten it in years. My only sugar intake comes from natural sugar (fruit) and on the rare occasions that I eat or drink anything sweet it's sweetened with artificial sweetener. I do try to stick to the natural ones like Stevia, but if I buy a sugar-free product, they usually contain aspertame or sucralose. Are these safe during pregnancy?
Love is everything.

Re: Artificial sweeteners

• You should probably check with your doctor, but my doctor said it was fine in moderation. However, I didn't touch the stuff when I was pregnant. I try to stay away from it period. There are so many studies on it causing brain cancer among other things... It just wasn't worth the risk/guilt. I do know plenty of babies that are completely healthy and their mothers drank lots of diet soda while pregnant.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • That makes so much sense.  I think my fear of getting chubby again is starting to rear it's ugly head.  But you know what?  I don't care if I gain 100 pounds during this pregnancy, as long as my baby is healthy!  Thanks. 

Love is everything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Safe - probably. Recommended - no. Some research suggests higher cancer risks with the consumption of aspertame or sucralose. This is a tough decision for a lot of expectant mothers. Best thing to do is talk to your doctor. Kudos on your weight loss, and congrats on your baby! I lost 103 lbs. a few years ago. Hard work, and I commend you!

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Last time I tried to stay away as much as possible and plan to this time too.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • I avoid all artificial sweeteners during pregnancy.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • My doctor specifically said "No sweet n low" it's the only artifical sweetner that can collect and effect the baby.  Everything else is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My doctor last time told me that it's fine in moderation.  I am a huge diet coke fan and drank a ton before I got pregnant, so it's been difficult to have to cut back so dramatically...but I'm doing it!  :)
    Mom of 2 with 1 on the way!
    Mason 7 - 1/8/10
    Samantha 4 - 6/28/13
  • THANK YOU!  Super-helpful.  Mocktails for me! 
    Love is everything.
  • I avoid artificial sweeteners and highly recommend xylitol. It's natural and even has health benefits.

Several grocers sell it under the brand name Ideal and it's no more expensive than Stevia or Splenda.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I still use Sweet & Low and drink Crystal Light.   I don't worry too much about avoiding artifical sweetners
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"