VBAC

VBAC recovery is so much easier

I had a VBAC last week and I have a 3rd degree tare and this recovery is still so much better. I was only in labor for 4 hrs only pushed for maybe 5 min and I did it all without an epidural( not by choice, was already 9cm dilated upon arrival at the hospital). I'm so happy that I decided to try for the VBAC. GL to all of those who are gonna try for a VBAC, I hope you have the success that I did.

Re: VBAC recovery is so much easier

• I dont believe for a second that I really needed a CS. I'm gonna try for a VBAC for #2, when that time comes along. I'm not ready yet for #2, but since #1 was "Surprise!" And we had an awful situation then, I'm going to be prepared for #2 and part of that is planning on a VBAC. 

That said, I was wondering if a VBAC is an easier recovery than CS. I never got to feel the contractions. Without going too deeply into my sob story, I feel like I missed out on quite a lot with my #1's birth story. Next time will be different if I have my say about it! Although, a lady I know had both and said she much preferred the CS, but then, she's old enough to be my mom and things are different.

imageimageimage
  • imageQuinlansPhoto:

I dont believe for a second that I really needed a CS. I'm gonna try for a VBAC for #2, when that time comes along. I'm not ready yet for #2, but since #1 was "Surprise!" And we had an awful situation then, I'm going to be prepared for #2 and part of that is planning on a VBAC. 

That said, I was wondering if a VBAC is an easier recovery than CS. I never got to feel the contractions. Without going too deeply into my sob story, I feel like I missed out on quite a lot with my #1's birth story. Next time will be different if I have my say about it! Although, a lady I know had both and said she much preferred the CS, but then, she's old enough to be my mom and things are different.

I wouldn't say it is necessarily easier. It is different. With my CS I was in a lot more pain but I felt recovered sooner. With my VBAC, the pain is less but the recovery more drawn out. But that said, I would still choose VBAC over CS any day.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetlew12778:
    imageQuinlansPhoto:

I dont believe for a second that I really needed a CS. I'm gonna try for a VBAC for #2, when that time comes along. I'm not ready yet for #2, but since #1 was "Surprise!" And we had an awful situation then, I'm going to be prepared for #2 and part of that is planning on a VBAC. 

I wouldn't say it is necessarily easier. It is different. With my CS I was in a lot more pain but I felt recovered sooner. With my VBAC, the pain is less but the recovery more drawn out. But that said, I would still choose VBAC over CS any day.

I agree with the above. Right out of the gate vbac recovery was definitely easier. I could move around more or less normally and didn't need the kind of physical help I needed immediately after my c-section. But my vbac recovery was definitely longer- it was a good 10-12 weeks before I could call myself pain-free, but I felt 100% within six weeks of my c-section. Even just walking was rough for at least 2 months after my vbac, and I couldn't have sex comfortably until 6 months after my vbac. I also found it very difficult emotionally to deal with vaginal/perineal pain- c-section incision pain never stressed me emotionally.

I am glad the OP experienced an easier vbac recovery, but I always feel compelled to share my experience because I felt really betrayed, for lack of a better word, when I found that vbac recovery wasn't nearly as easy as people had me believe. I know that everyone's experiences are different, but all I heard was "vbac recovery will be SOOOOOO easy!" and I didn't feel that way at all. It really took me by surprise and for a loooong time after the birth I felt really negatively about it as a result.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As someone that is already stressing about VBAC vs C-Section - thanks for the honest opinions on both sides. It was especially interesting to hear from someone who had an easier C-section recovery - I had never heard that before. 
    DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"