October 2012 Moms

Formula

Has anyone here exclusively fed their baby with formula from the beginning? I have been trying breast feeding but have such high anxiety about not being able to tell if he is getting enough, it hurts even though lactation consultants say he is latched perfectly, he falls asleep as soon as he starts feeding no matter what I do he's out, etc so then at night he's frantic with feedings and acts like he is in discomfort. I just need a little sleep and want him to be full and happy. Any advice please! I feel guilty thinking about stopping but I want him to have food too that's consistent.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Formula

• There is no shame in FF from the beginning. We are so lucky to live in a time where we do have options! Alice got her first formula st a couple days old, and is all but 100 FF now. I do have guilt sometimes but you know what? She is happy, healthy, and fed. That is what matters, no matter how she gets her food.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Thank you! I'm just so stressed and don't know what I am doing/how to transition since I keep having breast is best only pushed onto me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not. And I will echo Ike's comment about there being no shame in FF. However, if you want to BF, please know a couple of things. The beginning sucks for everyone. Well, most people. I'm sure there are babies who latch perfectly immediately, milk comes in day 2 and they nurse happily away. But that's the exception, not the rule. I don't know how old your baby is, or if your milk supply is in so pardon me if I'm way off base here. Everyone who nurses wonders if her baby is getting enough. Sometimes they don't. That's why they cluster feed for growth spurts and tell mom's body to make more milk. But weight gain (1/2 oz to an 1oz per day) is a good way to measure. It does hurt in the beginning. DS1 was latched perfectly and for the first week and possibly two, I wanted to throw him across the room, it hurt so bad. But it got better. He falls asleep because he's little and still learning but this is short lived. He will get more efficient. This will happen very quickly. Do you have a pump? Pumping is a great way to get a little sleep. I am nursing twins and feel adequately rested because I have an awesome DH who helps tremendously. We tag team the night shift. He goes to bed as soon as we can get DS1 to bed; tonight that was 8:30pm, and sleeps until 2-4am. Then we trade. I can power through fussy nights because I know my stretch of uninterrupted sleep is coming. You could also give formula during this time. If he's acting frantic with feedings, (we are experiencing this with DS3 a little bit), we offer 10-15ccs of bottle, and then try and latch. It's worked quite well. 

I've said this before and I will continue to say it, until someone tells me to STFU ;-)  that if you could see what nursing looked like at 3months, you would never quit. It's hard right now. I'm a STM, and it's still hard. But this is the easiest way for me to feed my baby for a year. It is absolutely not the easiest way to feed a baby for the first month, but it is so worth it over the long haul. I really believe that nursing is just about muscling through the first few weeks. 

If you choose to FF, no judgement, it's a perfectly valid way to feed your baby. He will be healthy and happy, and thrive. But if you want to nurse, power through a few more weeks and try and get 5-6 hour stretches of sleep until he can latch easily. Ideal nursing is highly rewarding for me, if you think it would be for you as well, I'd encourage you to carry on, meet with LC's, believe in your breastmilk and your body's ability to nourish your son. Have confidence in your body, mama. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageelfchique:

I have not. And I will echo Ike's comment about there being no shame in FF. However, if you want to BF, please know a couple of things. The beginning sucks for everyone. Well, most people. I'm sure there are babies who latch perfectly immediately, milk comes in day 2 and they nurse happily away. But that's the exception, not the rule. I don't know how old your baby is, or if your milk supply is in so pardon me if I'm way off base here. Everyone who nurses wonders if her baby is getting enough. Sometimes they don't. That's why they cluster feed for growth spurts and tell mom's body to make more milk. But weight gain (1/2 oz to an 1oz per day) is a good way to measure. It does hurt in the beginning. DS1 was latched perfectly and for the first week and possibly two, I wanted to throw him across the room, it hurt so bad. But it got better. He falls asleep because he's little and still learning but this is short lived. He will get more efficient. This will happen very quickly. Do you have a pump? Pumping is a great way to get a little sleep. I am nursing twins and feel adequately rested because I have an awesome DH who helps tremendously. We tag team the night shift. He goes to bed as soon as we can get DS1 to bed; tonight that was 8:30pm, and sleeps until 2-4am. Then we trade. I can power through fussy nights because I know my stretch of uninterrupted sleep is coming. You could also give formula during this time. If he's acting frantic with feedings, (we are experiencing this with DS3 a little bit), we offer 10-15ccs of bottle, and then try and latch. It's worked quite well. 

I've said this before and I will continue to say it, until someone tells me to STFU ;-)  that if you could see what nursing looked like at 3months, you would never quit. It's hard right now. I'm a STM, and it's still hard. But this is the easiest way for me to feed my baby for a year. It is absolutely not the easiest way to feed a baby for the first month, but it is so worth it over the long haul. I really believe that nursing is just about muscling through the first few weeks. 

If you choose to FF, no judgement, it's a perfectly valid way to feed your baby. He will be healthy and happy, and thrive. But if you want to nurse, power through a few more weeks and try and get 5-6 hour stretches of sleep until he can latch easily. Ideal nursing is highly rewarding for me, if you think it would be for you as well, I'd encourage you to carry on, meet with LC's, believe in your breastmilk and your body's ability to nourish your son. Have confidence in your body, mama. 

Beautiful testimony :) 

• imageelfchique:
    I have not. And I will echo Ike's comment about there being no shame in FF. However, if you want to BF, please know a couple of things. The beginning sucks for everyone. Well, most people. I'm sure there are babies who latch perfectly immediately, milk comes in day 2 and they nurse happily away. But that's the exception, not the rule. I don't know how old your baby is, or if your milk supply is in so pardon me if I'm way off base here. Everyone who nurses wonders if her baby is getting enough. Sometimes they don't. That's why they cluster feed for growth spurts and tell mom's body to make more milk. But weight gain 1/2 oz to an 1oz per day is a good way to measure. It does hurt in the beginning. DS1 was latched perfectly and for the first week and possibly two, I wanted to throw him across the room, it hurt so bad. But it got better. He falls asleep because he's little and still learning but this is short lived. He will get more efficient. This will happen very quickly. Do you have a pump? Pumping is a great way to get a little sleep. I am nursing twins and feel adequately rested because I have an awesome DH who helps tremendously. We tag team the night shift. He goes to bed as soon as we can get DS1 to bed; tonight that was 8:30pm, and sleeps until 24am. Then we trade. I can power through fussy nights because I know my stretch of uninterrupted sleep is coming. You could also give formula during this time. If he's acting frantic with feedings, we are experiencing this with DS3 a little bit, we offer 1015ccs of bottle, and then try and latch. It's worked quite well.nbsp;I've said this before and I will continue to say it, until someone tells me to STFU ; nbsp;that if you could see what nursing looked like at 3months, you would never quit. It's hard right now. I'm a STM, and it's still hard. But this is the easiest way for me to feed my baby for a year. It is absolutely not the easiest way to feed a baby for the first month, but it is so worth it over the long haul. I really believe that nursing is just about muscling through the first few weeks.nbsp;If you choose to FF, no judgement, it's a perfectly valid way to feed your baby. He will be healthy and happy, and thrive. But if you want to nurse, power through a few more weeks and try and get 56 hour stretches of sleep until he can latch easily. Ideal nursing is highly rewarding for me, if you think it would be for you as well, I'd encourage you to carry on, meet with LC's, believe in your breastmilk and your body's ability to nourish your son. Have confidence in your body, mama.nbsp;

Thanks so much for this!! Very helpful and encouraging
  • imageelfchique:
    I have not. And I will echo Ike's comment about there being no shame in FF. However, if you want to BF, please know a couple of things. The beginning sucks for everyone. Well, most people. I'm sure there are babies who latch perfectly immediately, milk comes in day 2 and they nurse happily away. But that's the exception, not the rule. I don't know how old your baby is, or if your milk supply is in so pardon me if I'm way off base here. Everyone who nurses wonders if her baby is getting enough. Sometimes they don't. That's why they cluster feed for growth spurts and tell mom's body to make more milk. But weight gain 1/2 oz to an 1oz per day is a good way to measure. It does hurt in the beginning. DS1 was latched perfectly and for the first week and possibly two, I wanted to throw him across the room, it hurt so bad. But it got better. He falls asleep because he's little and still learning but this is short lived. He will get more efficient. This will happen very quickly. Do you have a pump? Pumping is a great way to get a little sleep. I am nursing twins and feel adequately rested because I have an awesome DH who helps tremendously. We tag team the night shift. He goes to bed as soon as we can get DS1 to bed; tonight that was 8:30pm, and sleeps until 24am. Then we trade. I can power through fussy nights because I know my stretch of uninterrupted sleep is coming. You could also give formula during this time. If he's acting frantic with feedings, we are experiencing this with DS3 a little bit, we offer 1015ccs of bottle, and then try and latch. It's worked quite well.nbsp;I've said this before and I will continue to say it, until someone tells me to STFU ; nbsp;that if you could see what nursing looked like at 3months, you would never quit. It's hard right now. I'm a STM, and it's still hard. But this is the easiest way for me to feed my baby for a year. It is absolutely not the easiest way to feed a baby for the first month, but it is so worth it over the long haul. I really believe that nursing is just about muscling through the first few weeks.nbsp;If you choose to FF, no judgement, it's a perfectly valid way to feed your baby. He will be healthy and happy, and thrive. But if you want to nurse, power through a few more weeks and try and get 56 hour stretches of sleep until he can latch easily. Ideal nursing is highly rewarding for me, if you think it would be for you as well, I'd encourage you to carry on, meet with LC's, believe in your breastmilk and your body's ability to nourish your son. Have confidence in your body, mama.nbsp;

I totally agree. With DS1 we supemented some in the beginning because I was nervous and frustrated with BFing and he lost more weight than the pedi was comfortable with. He's perfectly healthy and happy. Now, with DS2, I feel so much more comfortable with BFing, and I haven't even felt tempted to give formula. I don't think either way is right or wrong, but I agree with all the above points about it getting much easier as time goes on, being easier than formula in the long run, and being a very rewarding experience for both you and LO. GL with whatever you end up deciding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will say that even though this is my 3rd EBF kiddo I still get parinoid that I am not sure how much they are getting.  So that is very normal, just ask the doc if you can go in for weight checks or invest in a infant scale.  Also today is a bad day for my little one, he it wanting to nurse all the time but then crying and pulling away once he gets a couple gulps.  it is frustrating.  But I will tell you that even though it is like this in the beginning it really does get better and by month 3 it is a piece of cake.

That all being said FF is an awsome alternative and you should feel no guilt if that is how you choose to feed your LO.  Hugs momma, hang in there no matter what you choose.

Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • DS has been FF since birth, I did not want to breastfeed for personal reasons.  Now seeing the way he eats I am not sure I would have been able to keep up, the boy is always eating! 

Don't feel bad about switching to formula - do what works for you and your baby

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have been FF since day one. I do not feel guilty about it at all. My son doesn't spit up (at all), sleeps well and is growing just fine. Don't let other people influence your decision. FF isn't a terrible thing.

=BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"