June 2011 Moms
Options

Belly button hernia

Did anyone's LO have a belly button hernia as an infant?  I read that they usually disappear by 1 year.  Is this true?  If so, does the belly button look completely normal or does some indication of it remain?  I think LO #2 has one, but I haven't had a chance to ask the pedi about it yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Belly button hernia

• Options

Cate still has hers - it's gotten better, but still an outie.

The pedi said if it bothers her as she gets older (she specifically said "when she's ready to wear a bikini she might want it fixed") there is a simple surgery to kind of tuck it back in.

• Options
    Emma still has one as well. At first the pedi said that if it hadn't healed on it's own by the time she's 5, they'd fix it. But at her last well-check, she said they could fix it when she turns 2 if we want. It has gotten smaller on it's own and on occasion her belly button actually looks like an innie, especially when she's laying down, so I'm hoping that it will eventually leave no trace.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Abby had a pretty major one. It has since gone down quite a bit, but there is still a little bit of a hernia present. Our pedi said that she thinks it will go away by the time she is two. I didn't ask about long term.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  DS's is pretty major, so it's good to know it will start going down on its own.
  • Options
    DS had one. His NP said it would go away on it's own and that he'd likely be an innie because DH and I both are, but the last time we had an appointment I asked about it and she said it's no longer an umbilical hernia, he's just an outie and that's that. IDK...it was kind of strange having her change her opinion like that, but I guess the outie is here to stay for DS. It's definitely gone down a lot from when he was little, though. 

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options

imageStardust225:
    DD had a pretty bad one. It is still very noticible, and hasn't gotten much better. It still goes in, but her doctor is pushing for me to opt for the surgery at 18 months. I'm skeptical.

Has the doctor given a reason to do it at 18 months?  My friend says her son has one and her pedi waits til 4 years old to do the surgery.  Her son just turned 4 and the pedi said she wanted to wait a little longer since it's almost gone.

I wonder if there is a medical necessity to the surgery or if it's only cosmetic. 

• Options
    imagemamarazzi528:

imageStardust225:
    DD had a pretty bad one. It is still very noticible, and hasn't gotten much better. It still goes in, but her doctor is pushing for me to opt for the surgery at 18 months. I'm skeptical.

Has the doctor given a reason to do it at 18 months?  My friend says her son has one and her pedi waits til 4 years old to do the surgery.  Her son just turned 4 and the pedi said she wanted to wait a little longer since it's almost gone.

I wonder if there is a medical necessity to the surgery or if it's only cosmetic. 

I'm pretty sure it's only cosmetic. I'm also pretty sure I've heard of people having their hernia return even after surgery... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options
    The dr told us that it will go away gradually on its own as his stomach muscles tightened. I asked every check up til maybe 9 months, and each an every time she said the same thing, and never seemed concerned. She never mentioned surgery, or said anything about the what if it didn't. She seemed pretty confident that it was going away, and it almost has. He's just going to be an outtie! :
  • Options
    DD had one as an infant. I hadn't even thought about it for a long time, and now that you mention it I realize it's completely gone!

I'm fairly certain the surgery is for cosmetic purposes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Liam had one, it had gone away by a year.  His belly button is pretty much flush with the rest of his skin now, not a total innie but not an outtie either, if that makes sense :)
    The Blog - Parenting: Uncensored

Photos from Libby Hilf Photography

imageimage

Jake - 1.15.08
    Liam - 5.17.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"