Baby Names

XP: Middle Name Dilemma

Hi Ladies,

So we need some help.

#2 is a boy, and we're actually trying to sort out a middle name first, and then do the first name.  It's a wee bit backwards, but it's kind of working for us.  Until now.

DD's middle name was my choice and from my side of the family, so I'm leaving #2's middle name up to DH & his side of the family.

However, due to a long complicated family history, he's narrowed it down to 2 of his absolute best friends in the world that are essentially brothers to him.  They were both in the Canadian Army with DH, and they were both Best Men at our wedding.

They both mean the absolute world to DH, and through his life, have been more of brothers to him than his biological brothers.  It was DH who taught me that your family doesn't always have to be biological, and having met these two amazing, amazing guys, I completely agree.

So since we're only having one baby, but have two options for a middle name (we don't want to use the other as a first name), can you offer any suggestions as to which one to pick?

One is Roman, the other is Paul.  Our last name starts with P and has one syllable.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP: Middle Name Dilemma

• I vote Roman, because Paul is a one-syllable P name and so is your last name.

I don't normally condone this, but in this case a smoosh name might work since it results in an actual name: Raul.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I would go with Roman since it will probably flow better that way. But if someone's feelings will get hurt, you should probably pick a different name altogether.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ooohhh nice suggestions!  Thank you for these - I'll pass them on to DH and see what he thinks.  I never thought we'd be in this situation (if DD had been a boy, then problem would have been non-existent).

Thanks for the ideas!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Why do you not want to use first/middle?

What if you use one and ask the other to be Godparent? ...if you plan to baptize that is..
  • If these men are that special, could you not name the baby Roman Paul or Paul Roman? If not, I'd give him 2 mns if this is your last child. 
  • I'm not a fan of using more than one middle name, but if choosing between the two is your only predicament here, can you not just use both? FN Roman Paul LN or FN Paul Roman LN?

Lots of people have two middle names. My DH does and the only problem he has with it is when he fills out forms etc. He usually just uses one or just uses the initials.

I understand that your DD doesn't have two middle names. Are you thinking that she might feel jilted someday because she only has one while her brother has two? If that's the case, I'm sure she would understand if you explained the situation to her. 

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Since both names are short would you consider 2 middle names. I'm usually not a fan of 2 mn but in this case it would be hard to chose one over the other IMO.
  • Why not use both? My friend named her DD Olivia Erin Anne. It took some getting used to but it works fine.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"