Baby Showers

Annoyed...probably for no reason.

2of my friends are throwing me a shower this coming weekend. They have been talking about it since I told them I was pregnant. I am so glad they are and I'm trying to maintain the 'excited' feeling...however, I'm annoyed by a few, probably stupid, things.

The shower is this weekend, the 20th...they sent out invitations on the 8th, most people did not get invites until Friday and one of my sisters got hers yesterday  (the 15th). We do not live within 150miles of a baby store so shopping has to be done online. I figure 7-10 days shipping is average and so if people even wanted to buy off my registry they'd need to rush order it (which costs more) or hope it got in Saturday morning, I just considered it rude to not think of that. 

They complained that I had out of town people on my list I wanted to invite...None of my sisters live with 400 miles of here, neither does my mother, my aunt, my mother in law or sister in law....umm, ya, I wanted them invited anyway. Sorry. I knew several of them couldn't make it, but I know they would have had their feelings hurt if I hadn't invited them.  As it is I had told them all the date and so those that could made arrangements...my slightly OCD sister called furious when she got her invite yesterday because she felt it was wrong for them to send them so late. Again, she is slightly OCD but it made me think maybe I wasn't so wrong.

The invitations are really cute and they are going with a Halloween theme, which I love, but no where on the invitations does it say I'm having a boy...which again, not a huge deal since everyone invited at least knows I'm pregnant, and in a small town you can ask around and find out what sex the baby is. But I went back an added 'its a boy' to the top of my registries just in case.

Lastly...the games. I swear one of my friends sought out the games that would bother me the most. First is the candy bar in the diaper thing,,,and there is some other game similiar to that. When she told me I asked her please no, not those and she just laughed at me and said I would have to participate so it would be fine...umm, I don't agree... 

I know a baby shower is a gift and that I am lucky to have friends that are willing to shell out the time and money to throw one for me. Hence why I'm ranting/venting online and not to them.  

30 weeks pregnant, I have an evil cold and CrAzY hormones, so I'm working really hard to convince myself that I'm being silly and that everything will be fine.

thanks for listening/reading... 

Anniversary

Re: Annoyed...probably for no reason.

• The 8th is really late for a shower on the 20th.  I totally hear you on that, and yeah... it's going to impact your guests and what they can buy/ when you get it.

The rest of it?  Eh.  So it wasn't listed that you're having a boy.  And you don't like the games.  Eh.... not a big deal.  either of them. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEstwd2:

- I'm with you on the invitations. That sucks.

- Not a big deal that they didn't mention it's a boy. 

- Oh dear God, please no, not the candy bar in the diaper game!!!! I've only heard of that on here and it makes me want to vomit. How can people think this is appropriate/funny/non-vomit-inducing? Who are these crazy people? I would try to change her mind again on that one because it's just plain nasty.

This.  That game sounds horrible - I'm not a big game fan anyway, but that sounds worse than most.  Ewwwww.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • They definitely should have sent invites out earlier, and EW that diaper game is disgusting. Who wants to eat candy out of a diaper?? BLEH
    Ashley Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageSmashdance:
    They definitely should have sent invites out earlier, and EW that diaper game is disgusting. Who wants to eat candy out of a diaper?? BLEH

You don't eat it, at least not at the shower I had to play it at. They melt different flavors of chocolate candy bars in a diaper like reeses, crunch, plain Hershey's, etc. Then you have to pass the diapers around and smell them and try to guess what flavor it is. it's still gross, even though there's no eating involved.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageEastCoastBride:

The 8th is really late for a shower on the 20th.  I totally hear you on that, and yeah... it's going to impact your guests and what they can buy/ when you get it.

The rest of it?  Eh.  So it wasn't listed that you're having a boy.  And you don't like the games.  Eh.... not a big deal.  either of them. 

All of this. I would be miffed about the invites. How disappointing.

The candy bar in the diaper game is gross and I would not be surprised if some of your guests just didn't pay any attention to the game and kept talking- encourage it if that is what is happening- NBD :)  

• Yeah at my shower with my DS this game got played.  I think it's nasty but whatever...it doesn't last very long and people who think it's dumb just don't choose to play.  My little nieces at the shower loved it.  hahaha
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it makes you feel better I once attended a baby shower where they made us EAT BABY FOOD and identify what the food was supposed to be.  It was positively revolting.  Not only the idea of it, but the actual taste.  A couple I just refused to taste.  What that stupid hostess was thinking I have NO idea.

At least candy is yummy.  Not that I would want to eat it out of a diaper...

• i went through the same thing with my sister throwing me my bridal shower.  The guests didn't get their invitations until the week before the shower.  then she had the nerve to blame it on the post office rather then taking responsibility.  my guests got my wedding invitations before they got the invites, i was so irritated.  so i told her that if she really wasn't into throwing me a shower why did she volunteer for it?  but honestly, though a lot of peopel didn't show up, we still had an amazing time.  so try to keep your cool and enjoy whatever the outcome is. 
  • I'm sorry this is happening to you. I understand. I hate the new uncreative and completely weird games. I hope you don't end up with a "pregnant belly" cake too (unless, of course, that's what you're into.)

But reading this is assuring me that I'm not crazy starting to work on the plans for my shower. I'll have other people host it (I have an event planner for a sister-in-law), but since I love planning parties I'll be a big part of what goes on (especially since that sister-in-law loves what's trendy and I tend to stay away from that unless I think it's popular for a totally legitimate reason and I like it). 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Also, I didn't pay attention to the fact that your shower is done now. I hope it went well! 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"