C-sections

Plus size moms that had c-section

I had an emergency c-section 4 days ago after my LO couldn't make it to the birth canal after induction.  I am in the bigger range and have what I guess is called an apron of fat that hangs down over my incision (which is across most of my abdomen side to side).  I am doing pretty well but the starting point of the incision on my right side is killing me.  I still have my staples in so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it like they are pulling, or now I have wetness there that is either puss or maybe a skin yeast infection.

Has anyone had these issues and what have you done about the wetness?  Thanks!

Re: Plus size moms that had c-section

• I've had a little bit of clear discharge - which I was told is normal.  If it's green/*** looking, you should call your OB.  If you can't see it well enough to tell what color the puss is, cover it with some gauze for a bit and check the gauze in a little while.

I don't have staples, just internal sutures.  But I've been washing my incision twice a day and drying it with a hair dryer afterwards.  I also dry it with the hair dryer anytime during the day if it feels moist. 

my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're going to have some moisture from skin on skin...  it's natural to sweat.  Keep some gauze on it to keep it dry or a maxi pad in between your skin fold.  The pulling is natural as well...  it sounds like your staples are ready to come out. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a burning/itching sensation on my incision about 4-5 days after the c section, but I'm fairly certain that in my case, I had a reaction to the adhesive on the steri-strips.  I didn't have staples, so I don't have experience with that.

I second the pp that said try keeping some gauze on it and check it for any discharge.  I used a maxi pad the first week, and then put gauze on it after that for almost another week to keep it dry.  I also used the hairdryer to dry it after taking showers, and now it seems to have healed fine. 

Little B 9.20.12
  • One side of my incision pulled/burned when I moved.  In the hospital the nurses thought that the pain was being caused by one of my staples.  My staples were removed before I was discharged, and that didn't solve the problem.  Therefore, we assumed it was it was an internal stitch.  The pain went away around 10 days PP.

When I was discharged, the nurse told DH that he needed to check my incision once a day for redness or discharge.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes use a maxi pad, it will help a ton with keeping things dry and clean. I had the traditional c-section incision with my DD, the OB this time decided to do it much higher due to my "flap" and it's actually just below my belly button. Much easier to clean and look after but much more painful. 

I also was told to use a hair dryer on low to dry it well so you don't have to rub with a towel. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBaby Bouchard:
    Yes use a maxi pad, it will help a ton with keeping things dry and clean. I had the traditional csection incision with my DD, the OB this time decided to do it much higher due to my "flap" and it's actually just below my belly button. Much easier to clean and look after but much more painful.nbsp;I also was told to use a hair dryer on low to dry it well so you don't have to rub with a towel.nbsp;

This! I just heard about using a maxi pad. My dr said to clean it and air dry it as much as possible but with a baby that's kinda hard when alone. :
    Blog
    BFP #1 2-8-09 Natural M/C 6w1d 2-19-09
    BFP #2 5-28-09 C/P 6-1-09
    BFP #3 10-30-10 Natural M/C 12-8-10
    BFP #4 1-16-12 EDD 9-18-12 Stick baby stick!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine oozed for weeks, literally.  Doc sd that was normal as long as it wasn't greenish or smelled funky.  And coincidentally my right side is what always bothered me too.  Dr was right handed so I assume he closed up on that side, the scar goes skawonky over there too :)  I would take a washcloth to fold and tuck under my belly in my underwear.  I could hardly move so there was no worry of it falling out!  You'll find too that the low cut underwear are awful!  They cut right across my incision and are a total pita.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • with my 5 year old. it was a horrible experience.. My incicsion got infected within a week. smelled like something dead. next thing you know im being rushed into the hospital  being tested and treated for MRSA .. thank ggod it wasn't mrsa but, they literally had to cut me back open  debride my inscion so all the dead stuff was off. and then i had to heal from the inside out. that took no joking 6 months. DH had to pack it 3 times a day and change the gauze fo me..  i had to shower before he left for work at 4am so he could pack it.. 

With my 1 year old child my dr went through the same incision cause it left a big hole/dimple  and this one went alot smoother.. we  made sure it was always dry by putting gauze in the flap. that helped tremendously

But i may have to use maxi pad next time thats a great idea!

• I used gauze over mine to keep it dry and to check what the drainage looked like. I only had my staples in for 3 days while in the hospital then they took them out. I tried not to do much but like others have said my right side hurt and when I had my DH check it the incision had split apart... So the incision scar is a little larger on that side.

I wish I would have known about the hair dryer trick!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"