November 2012 Moms

Q for the ladies due after Thanksgiving...

I'm due the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.  We don't want to go anywhere too far, but we also don't want to host a full-on Thanksgiving dinner.  I'm just not into it this year.  My family and my husband's family will be in town that weekend, as well as 3 sets of couple friends. So we will be doing something, I'm just not really sure what.   

My FIL suggested renting a clubhouse somewhere and cater from a grocery store, since we'll have about 17 people.  I really love this idea.  

We could also go to a restaurant that's having a Thanksgiving buffet, but the prices at a couple of places that I found are astronomical, IMO.  We could also do banquet-style and have everyone contribute a dish.  I'm not fond of this idea, because it equals cooking something, then having to clean up after a Thanksgiving dinner.  Uggghhh.

Just wondering, what are your plans for Thanksgiving if you're still pregnant?

Re: Q for the ladies due after Thanksgiving...

• In-Laws live only about 10-15 mins away and they always host Thanksgiving, so pregnant still or not we will be eating dinner and enjoying the day as much as possible at their place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNinaMarie1:
    In-Laws live only about 10-15 mins away and they always host Thanksgiving, so pregnant still or not we will be eating dinner and enjoying the day as much as possible at their place.

I wish this were true for us, but both of our families live out of state.  So the only real option (especially since everyone decided to come here) is to have Thanksgiving here :-( 

• Loading the player...
  • I am due on November 30, but schedule for my C-Section on Nov 23! We usually host Thanksgiving, but given the situtation my husband suggested maybe we all get together the weekend before. My MIL thew a fit! She HAS to be with family the day of Thanksgiving. She wants to have it at our house. Doesn't understand I will not feel up to cleaning/cooking. We just wanted to relax that day. I left it as it depended on how I am feeling...
    Good luck!
  • imagesnowflake91011:

I'm due the day before, but I am not counting on having the baby before Thanksgiving.  My situation is similar to the PP in that our immediate families are close by, but since both of our parents are divorced, it is a madhouse every holiday.  Last year we hosted so 3 of the 4 parents could come to our house and we didn't have to run around like crazy.  That will definitely not be happening this year!  We'll play it by ear and maybe go to one house, but the last thing I'd want to do at 40 weeks pregnant is go to 4 Thanksgivings to appease all of our parents!!

OP, if I were you, I'd go the local grocery store (or Boston Market) route and eat on paper plates and with plastic silverware and cups.  That way, you can be comfy in your house but not have to worry about dishes or anything else.  Since your family will be traveling from out of state, they can get your house cleaned up and ready for visitors!

This post brings another subject to my mind - Christmas...we've already attempted to tell our families that we're not going to be driving to 4 different places on one day with a month old baby just so everyone is happy.  Now onto thinking about what we will do.....

Good luck :)

I like this idea, but I just don't want everyone in our house.  Why this is a sticking point for me, I don't know.  I want our house to stay clean and ready for baby's arrival instead of having a house full of people and all of their "stuff".  Maybe I'm being a little ridiculous, because that is my only reservation about having anyone in our house.

We're planning to spend a month or so out of town over Christmas and New Year.  Our families live in the same city, so we're planning to spend half of the time at one house and half at the other.  We might be a little optimistic, but my husband is adamant about it!   

• imagesunshinecr99:
    I am due on November 30, but schedule for my CSection on Nov 23! We usually host Thanksgiving, but given the situtation my husband suggested maybe we all get together the weekend before. My MIL thew a fit! She HAS to be with family the day of Thanksgiving. She wants to have it at our house. Doesn't understand I will not feel up to cleaning/cooking. We just wanted to relax that day. I left it as it depended on how I am feeling...Good luck!

No way!! I'd stand my ground! I would not have MIL dictate having everyone over for thanksgiving the day before csection.
  • I think your idea about renting out a place sounds nice. I only have a small group of family in town so it's not the same situation but we might go out to eat. The other thing we do frequently is celebrate it on Friday or Saturday due to work schedules for some people. It used to think it would feel weird to celebrate on a different day but it doesn't. Not sure how that might help you but I thought I would throw it out there.
    party-fails-crunk-critters-catnips-a-hell-of-a-drug Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker (formerly TTGP poster abfromva)
  • I am due 1 week after Thanksgiving.  Our families both live with in 10 minutes of us, but they have been told that we will not be joining any festivities....unless we're bored.  We may stop in, but generally, I make dinner for DH and my DD so it's no big deal.  I am hoping to at least cook a turkey that day, so we can have the leftovers and make meal planning easy on me :)  I'm thinking baby girl will arrive early anyway, so that will make it all the easier of a decision on us....that we will be staying home. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am due Thanksgiving day. My In-laws have been really great about it. If I go early or late we have the same plan. They are all coming to our house to cook Thanksgiving dinner and doing all the clean up afterwards. I get to do nothing this year for a change!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Unfortunately for us, the in laws live 4 hours away. My family lives about 50 minutes away (my due date is Nov. 28), so I'm not sure if I would want to risk it. For me, I want to be able to just relax. I think we may just be doing a little dinner together (he said he would take care of cooking & cleaning because I'll be too exhausted). 
    Isabella Sophia Tudorica - November 24, 2012
  • The plan for us is to host immediate family only (my parents, ILs, DH's sister, and BIL and his wife) at our house. My mama will cook and my husband will wash dishes - my responsibility will be to sit and wait for labor to start Smile
    Please pardon any typos -- I'm typically bumping from my phone
    V|V TSP V|V
    imageimageimage
    * Lindsay Chase is going to be a big brother in August! *
  • I have to stay in town so my DD can be with her biodads fam too. But my DD was 10 days early. My drs predict lo will be preterm, so i know i wont have to worry about thanksgiving. Renting out a hall is a good ide? Churches are usually pretty cheap because they are just a simple donation. Also if anyone is a member of a firehouse or a "club" or volunteer emt etc, they can usually rent out their halls for cheap. I wouldnt go overboard, dont stress yourself out about it. Everyone will understand if u cant manage to take care of all that the holiday involves this year! You are about to give birth after all :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers       AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Im due Nov 30th and we plan on staying in WI (all family is in IN). Whether we go early or not we plan on having a quite Thanksgiving dinner to ourselves :)

• I'm due the Mon after Thanksgiving. However I don't think I will make it that far. I had DS#1 1 week early, hoping for the same this go-round. Which means, our plans are COMPLETELY up in the air. Both my parents and IL's live in our town so I'm not sure if baby has arrived by then, if we will venture to their houses for a couple hours or just stay cooped up at home.
    babies
  • I'm due one week after Thanksgiving and I am SO not hosting! I agree with PP's about not wanting to dirty my house and deal with the cooking and clean up, having no idea if I will go into labor early. I want my house nice and tidy and ready for the baby.

Luckily me and my SO live about 30-45 min away from both of our parents, and usually we just drive up and let them host. We typically stay at his parents for about an hour or so (that's all he says he can take) and then go to mine for as long as we want to depending on our mood (last year SO was sick so it was pretty much eat and then go home and nap, but sometimes we'll be there all damn day). My only concern is what if I go into labor during Thanksgiving - I so do not want that to happen. We are planning on waiting to call anyone until after baby boy arrives, and I just see that being a cluster**** that I certainly do not want to deal with. So if I have any signs at all that I may be going into labor we will probably just skip Turkey Day all around and say I'm too tired. 

OP - I like your idea of renting out a place, if you can't find a restaurant to go to. One year back when I was 19 I think, my mom's hubby was out of town for work and me and my mom went to a steakhouse for Thanksgiving dinner and had steak and lobster and I absolutely loved it. It was such a nice change from the typical mass gathering of family and food!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • both sets of inlaws are coming to our house and the mothers and my husband are cooking dinner  while  i chill with my feet up taste testing the turkey  :)  they also are having a bet to see if LO will come 10 min be fore the turkey is done. 
    ambrinkle
  • I guess I'm a "Debbie Downer" because I'm due 2 days after Thanksgiving and have already told family members we are not going to be doing anything this year.  As a STM I am all too familiar with how miserable the last few days can be and am being honest that I can't deal with my extended family in that amount of discomfort.  (It's hard dealing with these people in general...much less when I'm in pain!)  It sounds like you might have a better relationship with your family but I'd caution you to keep things as simple as possible for yourself.  Let other people pamper you and handle the arrangements so you can take it easy. Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm due 1 week after Thanksgiving... just like I was with DS. If I were supposed to host, I would definitely cater. However, 2 of my aunts always host, so it's not an issue. Sorry if I'm no help! Like PP, we are playing it by ear. DH is working... and God forbid he not get the holiday pay... but if DD doesn't flip or if she remains so big, I will be having a CS possibly the next day, if not before. So we will see how things pan out and if we miss it, so be it. I'm also not stressing about DS's bday either. We are planning that once DD gets here. We will just put people on stand by and go from there b
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We will be going to DH's family Thanksgiving, 2 hours away.  I'm not worried though, I delivered two hours away last time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm due a week after Turkey Day. All my family and DH family is 4 hours away. We will be staying put where we are and the families will be staying put. I may do something nice for DH and I for Turkey as we won't be spending it with anyone and also getting prepared for baby a little more.

And to be completely honest, I don't even want all the family coming down after baby is here and we go home from the hospital. I want to be selfish and keep my baby to myself and not share him with anyone except DH.

Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

• I'm due on Nov. 30 and unfortunately our family lives 6 hours away so we won't be with them for Thanksgiving.  I don't think we'll end up doing anything because I don't think we will make it to the 30th for a couple of reasons: a) at 34 weeks our little boy is still presenting breech so I think we're getting close to scheduling a c-section and b) if he does manage to flip, he's measuring close to three weeks ahead and I can't imagine he'll stay in for that long. We plan on playing it by ear and joining some friends for Turkey day if he's still nice and cozy.
  • Due the Sunday after Tgiving but lucky b/c our families are all out of town so they appreciate that we're just going to skip it this year.  DH and I are saying that no matter what we're having a pizza holiday.

However, we are having a "friendsgiving" on the 4th (I'll be 37 weeks) that is going to be potluck b/c I couldn't stand the idea of missing all my favorite Thanksgiving foods.  We told our friends that if they brought the side dishes we'd make the turkey and supply beverages 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"