Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Am I the only one who hasn't started solids???

Hi everyone! My kiddo turned 5 months yesterday, and we still haven't started solids. I EBF, and honestly am not all that excited to start solids! I love nursing (which I know continues after starting solids), and just can't believe my baby is old enough for a SPOON!!! DenIal??

our pedi just recommended starting by 6 months, and my mentality has been "well 5 1/2 is good enough for me!!"

Of course I'm excited for him to get to try new things, but I think part of me is having trouble admitting that my baby is growing up. Anyone else?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I the only one who hasn't started solids???

• You are not alone! I EBF as well and am having a very hard time admitting that he is growing up! MY pedi didn't tell us anything about starting solids, so I think I will start at 5 months 3 weeks :) We have started introducing the spoon (with nothing in it) and he is so excited.

We bought some organic baby oatmeal cereal today because of arsenic in rice cereals (even the organic ones) - What do you think you will start LO on?

• We're nowhere near starting solids.  The doctor hasn't mentioned it either.  I guess we'll start BLW around six months, which will be 7 months since she's a preemie.  I still have to read the book, though!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetheboki:
    We're nowhere near starting solids.  The doctor hasn't mentioned it either.  I guess we'll start BLW around six months, which will be 7 months since she's a preemie.  I still have to read the book, though!

what book? 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I haven't started, and don't plan to until 6 months or so.  She's 4.5 months now.  I'm also not overly excited about it - BF'ing is just so easy and convenient!  Plus there is that sadness that she's growing up way too fast.
  • If my LO was breastfeeding, he wouldnt touch food until 6 months. 

Since he's not, I dont care as much. We havent even tried cereal, much less the many veggies Ive seen people say theyve given their LO's who are the same age. He's been sick so his appetite is gone. We arent always finishing 4 oz bottles and I would hate to take any of that "room" with cereal.

• My supply died...... and once I started to formula feed I started to think about solids.... But if I was still EBF I do not think I would have started until 6 months.

Do what feels right!!! 

Ali Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My LO is almost 6 months and we haven't started solids yet.  She is FF.  I am reading Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley and really think we are going to go that route over cereal and purees.  I will probably start between 6 and 7 months.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ped said not to start until 6 mo since we bf (I don't know exactly why this matters), but we aren't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • DD has had a tiny bit of egg yolk, has licked an apple, a carrot, and a cucumber for flavor, and one time had a tiny bit of avocado and one time a tiny bit of mashed bananas with breast milk. We haven't been consistent because she doesn't really act like she's ready (although she acts INCREDIBLY interested in our food), so she hasn't really had solids per se. I think we'll wait a little while before really introducing them.
  • We're waiting until 6 months to start solids. She's EBF. We are starting 'food play', she sits in her high chair during dinner time and we give her spoons or plastic cups to play with and sometimes large chunks of food (just for play with constant supervision). Family meal time is really important to us so we want her to participate even if she isn't eating yet.
    image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • I'm in the same boat. I hated going from EBF to solids with my older one. Technically babies only need BM or formula for the first year so there is no rush. My dr said at 4 months that DD weight is good, so there is no need and we will discuss solids at our 6 month appt. and I totally agree. I don't see why people want to rush into giving babies food. To me its so easy to breastfeed (not at first, but once we get the hang of it), it's free, and it's good for them. So we will very slowly introduce solids sometime after she is 6 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren't even close.  I am not going to start solid foods until DD is at least six months old.  We do plan on doing BLW because it worked so well with DD1.  In about three weeks, I am going to pull the high chair out of storage and start having DD2 join us at the table for meal times, but we won't start giving her food until she is sitting independantly, among other things.

One reason I am happy to wait with food is that right now, it is easy to tell my three year old that the baby can't eat anything except breastmilk.  As a pre-schooler, she does much better with black and white rules...I know that DD1 will try to share her snacks with the baby when the baby starts eating food...

• Man am I happy to hear these responses! We are planning on starting on organic oatmeal, but I have been thinking about looking into BLW. I'm not sure why our pedi suggested starting by 6 months, but I think this Momma may have an agenda of her own... My baby is happy, healthy, gaining weight, and loves nursing, so I am just not in a rush. 

I am just SOOO happy nursing my kiddo, and don't want to start solids. Plus, he isn't sitting up on his own yet anyways. I kinda feel like I'm, depriving him of trying new things, but its not like I'm going to breastfeed him to college......... I don't think ;0) 

• I also EBF! Our ped doesn't want us starting solids until she is 6 months. By that time she will be going back for her 6 month check up and we will discuss it with him further. Our ped also considers cereals as "empty calories". So, with that in mind, we may skip cereal/oatmeal all together and start her on green vegetables. She is right on track with her signs showing that solids will be coming soon. Holds head up, chews, watches us take the fork from plate to mouth and will be sitting unassisted before we know it. Like the PP have said each mother knows their child so start when you feel you'e comfortable and your ped says it's time!
  • we didnt start DS#1 until 5 1/2 months and it was a huge fail his reflex wasnt gone yet. so we tried 1-2 times a wk until a little sortly after 6 months when it went away, then we did solids very slowly planning the same thing for DS#2
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We haven't yet and when we do we are skipping the cereals. DS had constipation issues so our pedi nixed the cereals. He was FF. DD is 3x day breast and 2x day formula. Days when she has had to have more formula I do notice some constipation issues so we are going to skip the cereals as well for her. At 4 months she was no where near interested in food, but now she is starting to get a little more interested so I'm just playing it by ear at this point and following her lead. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagewp3772:

My supply died...... and once I started to formula feed I started to think about solids.... But if I was still EBF I do not think I would have started until 6 months.

Do what feels right!!! 

This. 

Same happened to me, and LO was just too hungry for formula alone. So we have just started with avocados.  Don't plan to start cereal until 5/6 months though.  Follow your mama instincts! :) GL! 

• We're just over 3mo but will strictly EBF until 6mo and sometime in January will begin with avocado. Planning the first few foods have been keeping me set on my plan to EBF until 6mo, kinda like happy birthday here's mushy foods :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagealiena:
    Ped said not to start until 6 mo since we bf (I don't know exactly why this matters), but we aren't.

My pedi told me the same thing with DD, who is 2.5, it is what the AAP recommended.  This time she said they are leaning more towards starting before 6 months because they want to get kids to the point of introducing allergy prone foods sooner so now she is recommending starting anytime between 5 and 6 but said if I start before 6 he should only have tired a few foods at that point.  I think we might start at 5.5 if he seems ready.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree totally! No rush here to start solids AT ALL. I love nursing my baby as well, and I am waiting until at least 6 months to consider starting it out. I am not sure what the rush is for some people. She is almost 4 months and can't even sit up and isn't interested in what we are eating....so I think we are a ways off.

imageIDreamInPink:

Man am I happy to hear these responses! We are planning on starting on organic oatmeal, but I have been thinking about looking into BLW. I'm not sure why our pedi suggested starting by 6 months, but I think this Momma may have an agenda of her own... My baby is happy, healthy, gaining weight, and loves nursing, so I am just not in a rush. 

I am just SOOO happy nursing my kiddo, and don't want to start solids. Plus, he isn't sitting up on his own yet anyways. I kinda feel like I'm, depriving him of trying new things, but its not like I'm going to breastfeed him to college......... I don't think ;0) 

• imageMeery82:

imagetheboki:
    We're nowhere near starting solids.  The doctor hasn't mentioned it either.  I guess we'll start BLW around six months, which will be 7 months since she's a preemie.  I still have to read the book, though!

what book? 

"Baby Led Weaning" which another poster here mentioned.  I fully intend to go that route and hear that particular book is a good one.

• imageMeery82:

imagetheboki:

what book? 

"Baby Led Weaning" which another poster here mentioned.  I fully intend to go that route and hear that particular book is a good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"