Babies on the Brain

How long does it take for BC to get out of your system??

Me and my husband are talking about trying to concieve and recently decided to stop taking my BC. I have been on the pill for 6 years steadily now. How long does it normally take for someone to get pregnant after being on the pill for so long?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long does it take for BC to get out of your system??

• Considering some people get KU after skipping just a few pills, I'd guess can be out in as little a few days.  But, it can still take a healthy couple up to a year or more to conceive.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • I would recommend calling your OB/GYN.  When DH and I decided I should stop taking my BCP's, my doctor recommended I finish my previous pill pack and not start a new pack after AF like I normally would.

She also had me start tracking my cycles to get an idea their length.  I'm now taking my basal temp every morning as well (as PP said, it's the only accurate way to know if you are ovulating)

Everyone is different, but my doctor recommended waiting at least 3 months before TTC so that my body has a chance to regulate itself and my uterine lining had a chance to thicken. 

Good luck!

~Together since July 19, 2005~ ~Married since June 17, 2011~ ~TTC Soon!~
  • Loading the player...
  • What I've read says that the pill's hormones are out of your system in just a few days.. But it is different for everyone. It all depends on how quickly your body bounces back and starts doing all the things it's supposed to. Some women ovulate in just a week or two, while others it takes three months or longer :(

I'm in the same situation. Stopped taking my pills in Sept. I did finish out my pack, though. Dr said it's not quite as hard on your body that way. I was on them for 5 years.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my babies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Everyone's different. When I used to take it I never had any trouble getting pg as soon as I stopped (ok, I have been known to forget at times too!). I agree with checking to see if your ovulating or if your still unsure ask you dr. Good luck!
    Tim 12/30/00 Brad 4/30/02 Alex 9/29/03 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageMrsRustyGriswold:
    Considering some people get KU after skipping just a few pills, I'd guess can be out in as little a few days.  But, it can still take a healthy couple up to a year or more to conceive.

This exactly..

Started TTC 7/12
    BFP on 7/27/12.
    Suspected Miscarriage on 8/14/12 @ 6w1d..
    Ectopic found & removed from right tube on 9/7/12 @ 9w4d.

Continued trying for another year.
    HSG Oct 2013 shows Left tube clear, right tube blocked.
    BFP Nov 2013. Miscarriage at 5w3d.
    BFP Jan 2014. Ectopic- found and removed from left tube 6w2d.

On to IVF.
    Hydrosalpinx found in right tube. Oct 2014.
    Remaining portions of Right and Left tubes removed 1/6/15.
    Started BCP FEB 24,
    started stims Mar 18.  Antagonist protocol. (menopur, bravelle, cetrotide)
    "Slow responder" - stimmed for 14 days.
    Triggered with 5,000IU norvarel.  8 Follicles. 5 Retrieved. 4 Mature. All 4 fertilized w/ICSI.
    OHSS- Transfer cancelled.
    2 Embies made it to day 5. Both 4ab; frozen.
    FET Scheduled for May 20th!!
    1 5ab frosty transferred.
    BFP @ 4dp5dt
    Beta: 12dp=248 | 14dp=648 | 25dp=7,442

• Yes, I also finished my last pack before deciding to simply not take my next one. I am still a newbie to this whole situation, how can checking your temperature tell? I know there are home kits but does the kit tell you what temperature you should be at?
  • Check out fertilityfriend.com.  It has tons of info on all of it.  I'm not trying to blow you off, but I know that it will explain it much better than I can.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • Okay great! Thanks for all your help!
  • They say it's an average of 3 cycles. However, I got pregnant my first cycle after ditching the pills. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is differnet for everyone- I stoped BC in end of April and got pregnant right a way, but a girl I work will has been trying to get pregnant for over a year now after stoping BC.  Because I never got a period on BC and still never got one off the pill, I assumed that my body was taking its time to adjust... but Im 5 months pregnant so it only took me a month.  My suggestion is to consult your doctor and start taking prenatals or atleast childrens gummy vitamins now because you never know. Big Smile
  • I've gone off BC twice with two totally different experiences.

The first time around I had taken BC for 8ish years straight. I got pregnant the second cycle.

This time around, I was only on BC for a year and went off  it 6 months ago. My period has yet to regulate. I went nearly 4 months with no period at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on nuvaring and it took me a month after stopping to get pregnant. I am hoping this next time we ttc it is as easy as it was to get pregnant. I always have my worries.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"