Working Moms

Hourly day care rate - private and centers??

I am starting my research about day care options.

We have the option for my SIL to do it out of her home, she is a SAHM and provided care for our other niece (her brother's child) as well.

She already gave me an hourly rate which seemed sort of high to me.  So I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind sharing what you pay by the hour.  Both for private in home care and day care centers.

other things to consider, this would be for a 3 month old up to around 1 year or 1.5 years (depending how my work situation changes) and we live in the northern VA area outside of DC.

Thanks in advance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hourly day care rate - private and centers??

• We paid $300/week to an in-home provider in Arlington with 9 kids total. It worked out to about $6/hour, since she was there 10 hours/day. I've heard nannies (so more individualized attention) charge more like $15-20/hour.  Centers cost somewhere in between.  (I highly recommend getting on wait list for centers now, if you're at all considering back up options - since it sounds like you're not fully on board with the amount your SIL is suggesting.)
    imageimageimage
  • We have our daughters in a licensed home daycare with 2 providers and pay $200/week (that is for both girls) so about $20/day/child. FWIW: The rate is the same for a newborn as it is for a toddler where we go.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our DC (center in central California) charges $583/month so for full time care that equals out to about $3.25/hour. The in home DC that he went to in Utah equalled about $3.50/hour.
  • I don't know the hourly breakdowns but we pay $240 a week for our in-home daycare (my son is almost 7 months).  When I was looking at large daycare centers in our area, they ranged from $1100-$1600 a month.  I'm in NoVA also.
  • I'm in LA, and daycare ranges drastically depending on which part of town you are in.  We ended up finding an in-home daycare near our house that charges $725/month.  But some of the places I looked at near work were $1700 - $2500/month.  DD is at the daycare up to 11 hours per day (though if she were closer to work, it would be closer to 9 hours per day - I have a long commute).  None of the places I looked at quoted by the hour, though - they charge the same regardless of how many hours DD would be there.
    Check out my blog on Guinevere's growth: http://brendasbabybumpblog.blogspot.com/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When we were at our old center, I think we paid about $315/wk for the infant room, so about ~$7.50/hr for us. We pay more now :- but it's at a Montessori school.
  • imageEstwd2:
    I'm in NoVA, too. We pay $295/week for a licensed in-home. The only center I liked was charging $1700/month.

Hmmmm, it seems high then that she wants $10/hour.

She has three boys but two will be in school by then, so it will just be my LO and her youngest who will be around 2 at the time.

if it was 8 hours a day that would be $1600 a month.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I pay my sister $450/month for my 6-month old, but part-time care. I called around to centers here in town, found out it was $800 - $900/month, so I halved that rate and offered that.  I didn't want to do an hourly rate cause then we could get into the "he was here for 3.5 hours today, so that's $22.50" kind of debates.  One monthly rate, knowing that throughout the year, there'd be about 2 weeks that I'd keep my son home with me and that she'd have 2 weeks/year that she'd be on vacation.  Since it was my sister, I wanted to be clear about expectations, but not anal.  We still want to eat Thanksgiving dinner together in peace!
  • imagebhjones1980:

imageEstwd2:
    I'm in NoVA, too. We pay $295/week for a licensed in-home. The only center I liked was charging $1700/month.

Hmmmm, it seems high then that she wants $10/hour.

She has three boys but two will be in school by then, so it will just be my LO and her youngest who will be around 2 at the time.

if it was 8 hours a day that would be $1600 a month.

One thing to keep in mind is that with an in-home, they are taking in multiple children, but they are also getting paid per kid, so they're making more than $10/hr if that makes sense. Not saying that $10/hr isn't high, but just for comparison. If we were to hire a nanny it would be $12-15/hr. 

• Our shcool has a drop-in rate of $90/day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Our school has a drop-in rate of $90/day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Nanny rate: Central Mass $15-20/hr
  • My sahm neighbor watched my ds2 4 times a week about 10 hours a day for 200 a week that was 4 years ago. Her two kids were home with her pretty much full time. That's 5 bucks an hour.
    I watched my ds1's 4 y.o. friend for 4 days 9am5pm when there was no camp and his mom paid me 150. that was 3 years ago, about 4.60 an hour?
    Ds2 is 4.5 now and in full time daycare/kindergarten for 1200 a month 5 days a week 10 hours a day
  • 318/week.  Competitive in a HCOL area.

But if we did part time, the "hourly" rate would be much more.  

• We pay by the week, but it breaks down to $3.30 an hour (center) because DD is there 10 hours a day 5 days a week.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • $7.50/hr for in-home licensed DC ($300/wk). Centers are $450-$550/wk. That's in the Boston suburbs. I would pay less for an unlicensed friend/family because they wouldn't provide the curriculum that a licensed facility is required to provide.

ETA: $10 is way too high for someone without a license or related degree. She's asking for a nanny rate, but she's not a nanny--especially if she's taking care of her kid(s) at the same time. Your baby isn't going to be her first priority. Even if her boys are school age, I assume they'll be there for maybe a little while in the morning and afternoon. With a nanny, you're paying for individual attention and for the convenience of them coming to you and their schedule revolving around yours, that's clearly not the case here.  I'll be honest, I'm also hesitant about the SAHM part. If she needs to go to an appointment or the mall or to p/u or d/o her older kids will she be driving your kid around? Are you comfortable with that?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We pay about $6.50/hour for a center.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesaraboston:

$7.50/hr for in-home licensed DC ($300/wk). Centers are $450-$550/wk. That's in the Boston suburbs. I would pay less for an unlicensed friend/family because they wouldn't provide the curriculum that a licensed facility is required to provide.

ETA: $10 is way too high for someone without a license or related degree. She's asking for a nanny rate, but she's not a nanny--especially if she's taking care of her kid(s) at the same time. Your baby isn't going to be her first priority. Even if her boys are school age, I assume they'll be there for maybe a little while in the morning and afternoon. With a nanny, you're paying for individual attention and for the convenience of them coming to you and their schedule revolving around yours, that's clearly not the case here.  I'll be honest, I'm also hesitant about the SAHM part. If she needs to go to an appointment or the mall or to p/u or d/o her older kids will she be driving your kid around? Are you comfortable with that?

I agree with this.  Usually daycare is a flat rate, not hourly.  I'm lucky to pay $140/week, but our lady is not licensed (but awesome, and a doula) and DD is not always there.  I would pay $10-15 an hour to have a babysitter come to my home and only take care of my baby.  If you're going to pay your sister that rate, you might as well pay a few dollars more and get a nanny.  JMO.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am in Orlando... We pay $250 per week to a center. Ends up being about $5.00 per hour since she spends 5 days a week there averaging 10 hours per day.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • B goes to daycare in DC at a center at a rate of $1452 a month.

The least expensive inhome I saw in Alexandria (where we live) was $1200 a month. 

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• imagedaniellesa1220:
    We pay 175 x week for a state licensed in home DCP and we live in Northern VA as well about 30 minutes from Washington DC. What area ate you looking at? Prices change drastically depending which part of town you are in.

We are out by Dulles Airport, so farther out than the Arlington/Alexandria area (which I assume is the most expensive)

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagetheboki:
    imagesaraboston:

$7.50/hr for in-home licensed DC ($300/wk). Centers are $450-$550/wk. That's in the Boston suburbs. I would pay less for an unlicensed friend/family because they wouldn't provide the curriculum that a licensed facility is required to provide.

I agree with this.  Usually daycare is a flat rate, not hourly.  I'm lucky to pay $140/week, but our lady is not licensed (but awesome, and a doula) and DD is not always there.  I would pay $10-15 an hour to have a babysitter come to my home and only take care of my baby.  If you're going to pay your sister that rate, you might as well pay a few dollars more and get a nanny.  JMO.

Thanks for the feedback, that makes sense.

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"