Breastfeeding
Options

Breast Pump Cleaning

Ok, I always rinse my breast pump with super hot water as soon as I use it. I also wash with soap and water every few days. I should have known better, but there was a part of the pump I was apparently not getting clean - between the plastic and the diaphragm part. It started dragging today and I took it apart thinking I needed to replace something and saw a buildup of milk gunk. And one side had a brown stain in the "head" part of the plastic/diaphragm part. Of course, I freaked, washed everything and then boiled everything.

I am so terrified that I've made my 4-mo. old sick! I feel like such a terrible mother! How would I know if I have in fact made him sick?

Re: Breast Pump Cleaning

• Options

Chances are, if he hasn't gotten sick already, he's fine. 

You can keep from washing your pump after every use if you keep the parts in the fridge for up to 8 hours, and then just wash them with hot soapy water at the end of the day. Let them soak in the hot soapy water before scrubbing them. I find that makes it easier.

image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ur not supposed to wash with soap and water after every use?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJourney33:
    ur not supposed to wash with soap and water after every use?

Well, that the best way to keep it clean, but not everyone is able to. Keeping the parts (not the motor) in the fridge will keep from bacteria growing. You can only keep it in the fridge for so long though. After 8 hours you need to wash the parts with hot soapy water.

• Options
    I don't think she is referring to the motor part. I think she means the parts where milk flows through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"