June 2011 Moms

Poll: How many words is your little one saying?

How many words is your little one saying?[Poll]
Nickie
Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

Re: Poll: How many words is your little one saying?

• is "I've lost count" Acceptable? I just wrote down and got to around 20, but I'm guessing I'm forgetting some. (and she'll repeat lots more, I'm counting words she uses on her own)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • She has a little over 20 words that she uses regularly right now.
    DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • He says Ma, Da and Keey (kitty) occasionally and da (that) while pointing to everything. I'm sure there are more that I am just not catching.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • and I did want to add, for anyone who's LOs aren't speaking much, I swear she went from 0-20 words in like a week. They are listening and absorbing, one day they'll just decide to start saying them too!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • I put 15-25 because that is my best guess.  I'm sure there are some I'm missing but she is probably between 20 and 30 somewhere.

I agree with Carla.  She had about 3 words at her 15 month appointment and then over the last month she just exploded with new words. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageCarlaAndJames:
    and I did want to add, for anyone who's LOs aren't speaking much, I swear she went from 0-20 words in like a week. They are listening and absorbing, one day they'll just decide to start saying them too!

This is so true. DS has picked up probably 20 new words in the past 2 weeks alone - all the sudden he was saying everything!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • I'm representing the 0-5 words group...  The only consistent word my LO has is "yeah".  She has also said "baby" and "Jacob", but those lasted a week (when LO #2 came home) and now nothing.  She'll say "ma ma ma ma", but it never seems like she is referring to me.  She does babble a lot, though.  Says a lot that sound like they could be words.  I just don't understand them!

I'm hoping she starts saying more before her 18 month appt. next month.  If not, the doctor said she'd have us talk to a speech therapist. 

• I voted 5-15 because I can only think of 13 off the top of my head.

She has said/repeated way more than that. But I could only think of 13 she uses regularly without prompting. 

If you ask my mom, she'll tell you she says WAY more.  But Idk if that's a biased grandma speaking or if Audrey just "performs" for her more often. lol

• imageCarlaAndJames:
    and I did want to add, for anyone who's LOs aren't speaking much, I swear she went from 0-20 words in like a week. They are listening and absorbing, one day they'll just decide to start saying them too!
    This! D has been learning so many words in like the past month it is has been crazy what he picks up. 
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Before she turned 1 she was saying Mama, Dada, Night-Night and Dog very consistently. Then she started walking and seemed to forget them. She now says Ball, More and Woah/Wow. She does lots of pointing and grunting for everything else. I can't wait for the speaking explosion!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Starting to repeat more, but says these words daily.

Whats this, mama, mom, dada, hi, hi ya, ooooo, no,

He signs more, all done, milk.

And he has the cutest mooo when asked what a cow says!

• My girls don't say much that I can understand (I think they do chat to each other a little though). They both say Mama, Dada, hi, and bye. They will also say key for kitty and doo for dog. Lil will say gee-wow for giraffe, which is her favorite stuffed animal.

• imagemamarazzi528:
    I'm representing the 05 words group... nbsp;The only consistent word my LO has is "yeah". nbsp;She has also said "baby" and "Jacob", but those lasted a week when LO 2 came home and now nothing. nbsp;She'll say "ma ma ma ma", but it never seems like she is referring to me. nbsp;She does babble a lot, though. nbsp;Says a lot that sound like they could be words. nbsp;I just don't understand them!I'm hoping she starts saying more before her 18 month appt. next month. nbsp;If not, the doctor said she'd have us talk to a speech therapist.nbsp;

This is us too. I think she can say more words bc she'll say them once and that's it but she chooses not too. I was talking to another mom with 2u2 and she said her oldest regressed a lot verbally when 2 was born but now he is 3 and has a great vocabulary. So hopefully within the next few months she'll say more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He is my second child.  I honestly havent even sat down and counted his words.  When the Pedi asked me last month I stared at her with a blank face because I had no idea.  He talks thats all I know so I'm not worried.  In this last month he has been using a lot more words.  After the Pedi asked I probly should have sat down and made a list but I still haven't done it.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stopped counting, but at last count DD was at around 120 words.

The funniest/cutest thing she has said recently was she walked into a Disney store for the first time with DH, got all excited and screamed "Holy Moley Micky Mouse!!" lol.

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Maya has about 5 words, 10 if you count animal sounds. In the past week or 2 she's gone from 1 sound for all animals (hah-hah) to making different noises for ducks, elephants, lions, and goats/ sheep.  Based on that, I'd say we're on the verge of her saying new words too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LO can say a lot of words, but she only uses 15ish. If you count me sitting down and trying to work with her on language (former teacher), then she can repeat it, etc. However, she only uses a certain amount in her daily life, if that makes sense. I don't know if she forgets what the word means, or just prefers to work on other skills. She uses these words everyday/regularly- dada, dog, our dog's name, dun-nah (which means her. ex. she will point to her picture or to herself and say it), juju (which is her stuffed animal's name), blaaaaaah (which means bunny. ha!) bum (balloon), butt (butterfly), ish (fish) etc.

If I say these words or phrases, she knows what they mean and will act them out, but she cannot say them yet- Get the baby, get juju, want more?, get the baba, give to Mama, Mommy do?, I'm going to change your panty, where is your nose?, where is mawmaw/pawpaw/dada/mama/aunts/uncles?, what does the fishy do? (she makes a fish face) etc. 

I clicked 15-25 to say an average since she understands much more words, but cannot articulate them. She babbles a lot and is making a lot of new sounds this week. We will see! I am anxious for her to talk more because I know she gets frustrated when I can't figure out what she wants.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCarlaAndJames:

This. DD wasn't even saying Mama (with purpose) until 15 months. She had 0 words when she turned 15 months. And then, all of a sudden, there was a word explosion. She now says about 20.

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • She understands SO many words, but she still only actually says a handful. I voted 5-15. Off the top of my head, she consistently says: mama, dada, baby, hi, please, sha (for our cat Shadow), bee-bee (for our cat Abby), full, and this.

I'm still awaiting the word explosion! I'm impressed at how much she understands, though.

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • I dunno guys... I don't really ever feel like counting or keeping track..... The only thing he says all day long is mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.
    Mom.........
    MOM
    MOM
    MOMMMMMM

so yeah. Mom. Dada, dog, hi, hello, sure, uh huh, whats that, or sometimes just pointing and "that?"

So 9 ? But, he actually does say mom. It's m o m, mom. Not mama, not mommy, not ma. Mom.
  • imagemamarazzi528:

I'm representing the 0-5 words group...  The only consistent word my LO has is "yeah".  She has also said "baby" and "Jacob", but those lasted a week (when LO #2 came home) and now nothing.  She'll say "ma ma ma ma", but it never seems like she is referring to me.  She does babble a lot, though.  Says a lot that sound like they could be words.  I just don't understand them!

I'm hoping she starts saying more before her 18 month appt. next month.  If not, the doctor said she'd have us talk to a speech therapist. 

This for us too.  DD only says mama.  That's it.  I'm actually getting worried.  She babbles all day long, but won't say anything other than mama.  And that's only when I pull it out of her.  She doesn't come up to me and say mama on her own.  I have a bad feeling we'll be in speech therapy :(

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO has a little over 60 words now that she uses on her own -- a random assortment of people (Mama, Papa, names of friends at day care), animals, food/drink, requests (up, down, off, more), objects (high chair, ball), activities (bubbles, outside), a few adjectives (hot, cool), potty words (poopoo, peepee, diaper), greetings (hi, bye), answers (yes, no), a few expressions (uh-oh, wow), and a very few "phrases" that I think she learned through repeating but seems to use correctly ("I dunno," "I know," "there she is").  

She repeats everything these days, which is really helping her to learn more.  It's so exciting now that she can communicate better, like telling me she went "poopoo" or she wants a "quacker" or a "sippy" with "wawa" (water).  I wish she would learn more food words so she could tell me what it is she wants in the kitchen more often, instead of just pointing and whining!  I'd also like to work with her on colors next.

It's funny how every child is different.  She didn't really start walking til 13 months (first steps at 12 months) but she is pretty verbal.  I have a nephew who walked early and talked really late (very few words until after 2 years old).  And then I have a niece (by the same sister!) who both walked AND talked really early. So I try not to compare and just enjoy what my LO is doing and not stress too much about what she isn't!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• imagenfrtny:
    I dunno guys... I don't really ever feel like counting or keeping track..... The only thing he says all day long is mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom......... MOM MOM MOMMMMMM so yeah. Mom. Dada, dog, hi, hello, sure, uh huh, whats that, or sometimes just pointing and "that?" So 9 ? But, he actually does say mom. It's m o m, mom. Not mama, not mommy, not ma. Mom.

Haha.  DD says everything but Mom! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• I have a chatterbox. She can sign and say almost anything she needs or wants. She babbles to me constantly when she's in the stroller or shopping cart. She also attempts to sing! She hums along or "oohs" and "ahhs" to her favorite tunes. She is almost never quiet!
  • I chose 515, but I really haven't counted. I just thought of about 10 off the top of my head. And those words are pretty basic mama, daddy, hi, bye, that, this, shoes, booty, fish, doggie. I swear he's having conversations with me, though. One day he's just going to bust out with a sentence.

I'm thinking I believe the language v mobility thing. C has always been very early in mobility. We can even get him to jump now. But he's just not having that language "explosion" yet.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• I've kept a list which is at about 35, but I think there are a couple I've left off. He never stops "talking" but the 35 are words that are somewhat recognizable and used appropriately. According to my mom, he said a two word phrase, which I haven't heard him do yet ("go out"). I love it when he learns new words, though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  •  I know for sure V says mommy, dad, yes, and doggie with meaning. When we ask him if he wants to play with toys or if he wants to eat he says "I do" but I can't confirm that he knows what that means.  He recently started saying something that sounds like "what's this" too. 

I will admit I'm not always the most observant person so there's a good chance he has his own words or sounds for things and I haven't put two and two together yet. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"