Nurseries and Baby Gear

Nursery on different floors...

Is it a bad idea to have the nursery on a different floor than the master bedroom?  Before getting pregnant we started to redo a room on the 2nd floor for the master bedroom.  I'd love to finish it for our room, however then the nursery (if it needed to be on the same level) would have to be in my current office which is the smallest room in the house!   I'd love to have the nursery in our current room, which is the perfect size and placement for a nursery but it is on the main floor. 

Is this a terrible idea??? The first few months I could have a bassinette in the master...would that help or do they not get a schedule until babies are like a year old??   Any input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: Nursery on different floors...

• In our Cape Cod, the master is on the first floor.  The kids bedrooms are all upstairs.  I actually like it this way. We have more privacy this way. I would not feel comfortable with the nursery or any of my kids on the main floor and us upstairs though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • It is pretty common to keep baby in your room at night for the first 2-12 months (in a bassinet, rock n play, co-sleeper or top of pack n play). If you did that you could have nursery on main floor and it would be a good place for naps.

I've always had my baby's room next door to mine but never had the option to have it elsewhere. If you have a good sleeper and a monitor, it wouldn't be a huge deal...but I would hate running the stairs in the middle of the night.

The baby really won't care if their room is small. Or even if they have a room! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLittleApple:
    In our Cape Cod, the master is on the first floor.  The kids bedrooms are all upstairs.  I actually like it this way. We have more privacy this way. I would not feel comfortable with the nursery or any of my kids on the main floor and us upstairs though.

This exactly.  We live in a 1.5 story, and the upstairs will be our son's nursery.  I am okay with this, because he will be in our room for the first 4-6 weeks.  I also agree that I wouldn't want him on the main floor.   

Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would not go for me being upstairs and the babies downstairs. Maybe I'm just a worrier but I've seen (on the news, tv shows etc.) too many kids go missing in the middle of the night and no one hears a thing..it really freaks me out!! Even being downstairs and them upstairs is not ideal but if there was no other way I'd do it. When my parents built their house they made sure all the bedrooms were next to theirs and I feel that's how it should be. Hopefully one day when we're able to build our own house all rooms will be upstairs next to each other. Other than that I don't really think its ideal at first because you'll have to get up a lot! DS slept with us till he was about 4 months (outgrew his basinet) and this LO will sleep with us till he outgrows the basinet. Even when DS was sleeping in his crib he'd still wake up once a night and I'd have to go sit in his room and feed him, I can't imagine walking up and down stairs while I'm half asleep.
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLittleApple:
    In our Cape Cod, the master is on the first floor. nbsp;The kids bedrooms are all upstairs. nbsp;I actually like it this way. We have more privacy this way. I would not feel comfortable with the nursery or any of my kids on the main floor and us upstairs though.

This. Dd slept in our room in the rnp for 4 mos then moved upstairs to her bedroom and crib. Our video monitor is incredibly useful because I can see if dd is up or just stirring and going back to sleep. At almost 7 mos we still have a changing station on the main level.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will take everyones advice, also from my friends and keep baby on the same floor as the hubby and I. Maybe it will be a better idea to make what was going to be the master into the baby room some day, or keep it the guest room for good.
  • Even with a 20 month old, I wouldn't want to be on different levels. He sleeps through most nights, but I like being able to run next door right away when he wakes up scared, sick, or sad.

Also I'd be paranoid that our house would get broken into and he'd be all alone with the burglar.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechulita425:
    I would not go for me being upstairs and the babies downstairs. Maybe I'm just a worrier but I've seen on the news, tv shows etc. too many kids go missing in the middle of the night and no one hears a thing..it really freaks me out!!

Despite the Missing Pretty White Girl of the Month on cable news, child abductions by strangers are incredibly rare and have been declining. Let's not get crazy here.

The most likely "risk" I see is my preschooler wandering around the house in the dark looking for us after a bad dream or a stomach ache. I'd rather be nearby for comfort's sake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would not advise separate floors. Like pp's the baby is going to wake up... a lot. You do not want to be running up and down the stairs. Also, not to be a debbie downer, but what about a (god forbid) house fire. You may not be able to get to the baby and the baby can't do anything. Please stay on he same floor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"