July 2012 Moms

Lump on top of baby's head

I can't find anything on the internet about this, and was wondering if anyone here has experience with anything like this?

My sweet little 3 month old has a very large round lump just to the right and above her soft spot.  The edge of it is right on the edge of her soft spot. It's probably about as round as a half dollar and slightly raised.  It's hard.  You don't notice it unless you're really looking, but it's definitely a bump.

She seems perfectly healthy.  She is happy, eating and sleeping well. The lump is the color of her scalp and she doesn't seem even slightly irritated by it.  When I press it, she doesn't seem to notice at all.  I didn't notice it until Wednesday and she is scheduled for a doctor's appointment next Wednesday. 

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Re: Lump on top of baby's head

• DS has the same thing! When he was young I thought I'd bumped him against something. Could it just be his skull before the fontanelle fuses shut?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hmm.. I haven't heard of anything like that. I'd give the pediatrician a call and see if you can take her in early. They may want to do a CT scan just to make sure it's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't get TOO concerned if she's acting and eating as normal though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecatmtl:
    DS has the same thing! When he was young I thought I'd bumped him against something. Could it just be his skull before the fontanelle fuses shut?

I don't know about the fontanelle fusing together.  My cousin, who is going through his Dr. residency, suggested the same thing.  I looked up information about a baby's skull fusing so early, and the information I found scared me.  How old is your LO?  When did you notice it?

• imageJrzyMeeba1:
    Hmm.. I haven't heard of anything like that. I'd give the pediatrician a call and see if you can take her in early. They may want to do a CT scan just to make sure it's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't get TOO concerned if she's acting and eating as normal though.

Yeah, I would feel better about having an appointment earlier.  Timing is just bad all the way around.  I literally just moved here from another state a little over a week ago.  I found a pediatrician today and the earliest I could get an appointment is next Wednesday.  I will call again tomorrow and see if we can get it moved up.

• Oh man, yeah, that's rough with the timing.

It could just be the skull plates moving.. the front fontanelle doesn't close this early (which is why you saw not so fun stuff when looking for closure at this age.) It's pretty common to see various parts of the skull depending on hydration, sitting up or laying down, etc.. 

Is it perfectly circular?

Most neurological issues would present with changes in level of consciousness (hard to wake, etc), unexplained fevers, vomiting, etc.. but I think you're right to call and see if you can get in earlier, just for peace of mind. *hugs* I'm sure everything is okay.

(Referencing brain/head stuff comes from my almost 3 year old having two brain surgeries and lots of brain/head-related stuff in his medical history, but I am not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination. Fair disclosure. Smile  )

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesteffie1982:

imagecatmtl:
    DS has the same thing! When he was young I thought I'd bumped him against something. Could it just be his skull before the fontanelle fuses shut?

I don't know about the fontanelle fusing together.  My cousin, who is going through his Dr. residency, suggested the same thing.  I looked up information about a baby's skull fusing so early, and the information I found scared me.  How old is your LO?  When did you notice it?

My boy is almost 4 months old. I noticed it very early on, like when he was a month old. Since it feels like it's his actual skull and not something under the skin I hadn't given it too much thought. Let me know what your pedi says. Our next appointment isn't until early November.
  • JPMacJPMac member
    Did you ever find out what it was? I've just noticed the same thing on my 3 month old, but on his left side..
  • catmtlcatmtl member
    The lump's gone! DS is 10 months old now. Our pedi said it was normal for the skull plates to overlap sometimes creating the lumpy look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"