March 2013 Moms

Flu shot

What is everyone's docs or midwives saying about getting flu shots? 

Re: Flu shot

• My OB is advising everyone to get one and is doing them in the office... I am allergic, so I'm SOL.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • I got mine in the OB office on Monday. They want everyone and their spouse to get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely get them. Got mine yesterday.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB said they advise everyone to get it. They use the one without the preservative. I got mine! It was my first flu shot ever. I figured this year was a good year to do it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My OB says to get it, and anyone else that lives with you, DH, kids, etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• They gave me mine @ my 16wk appt yesterday. It was the pre-dosed needle version which has less preservatives. I can not imagine being pregnant with the flu.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I got mine yesterday.  She debated holding off a little, because apparently its longevity isn't the greatest and could be less effective at the end of my pregnancy.

I hadn't thought about my DH though, I should probably ask him to get it.  Like me though, he's never had it before.

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • image5dogs:
    My OB is advising everyone to get one and is doing them in the office... I am allergic, so I'm SOL.

Are you allergic to eggs or something else? I know our allergist is doing flu shots for anyone with an egg allergy in the office. If there is an allergic reaction, they know how to handle it. Just something to think about if you really want the shot.

• My OB says that I should have one and so should my husband.  I got one a week ago at my 18 week appointment.  It was the first time I have ever had it.  No complications and I have felt fine ever since. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor strongly encouraged it and even asked if I was planning on my kids and husband getting one. My kids will get it at their annual check-up next month and DH's work does a flu clinic in September for all the employees (not mandatory, of course, but it's there and again strongly encouraged, especially since winter is when the workload picks up).
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My OB recommends it.  I got mine yesterday.
    ~Married 7.10.09~
    TTC #1 Since 3.9.10
    Dx PCOS 8.30.10
    3 failed IUI cycles Feb 11 to April 11, IVF #1 cycle start 6-18-12, ER 7-3-12 (10 retrieved, 8 attempted fertilization, 7 growing), ET 7-8-12 - 2-2ab transferred. Success! Due 3-26-13
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine highly advises it.  He also advised DH to get updated on his TDAP since pertussis is making a come back.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got mine at the 16 week appointment. Had not thought about DH getting one. I will talk to him.
    May PAL Siggy Challenge - Mom Humor
    TTC Since June 2009 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/12, EDD 9/21/12, Missed M/C - 2/10/12 - I miss you Sapphire!

BFP #2 - 7/1/12 - Met my lucky charm Alexandra on 3-16-13!!!

image image image 
    AL always welcome! 

• I'm interested to see what mine says. I found out my good friend has 3 kids and never got the flu shot, and also a family friend who has 2 kids and is a doctor didn't get the shot either.
  • My doctor said I should definitely get one. They had a free clinic on campus, but pregnant ladies were excluded. I asked why, and apparently the one being given had a preservative in it and CA state law says that pregnant ladies have to be given a preservative free vaccine. This means I have to pay for it, which sucks, but I'll just get it next time I'm at Target.
    imageimage
    Me: 30, DH: 33 Married 8/3/08
    BFP 7/16/2012 (8th cycle), EDD 3/27/2012, Delivered 3/24/2013 - IT'S A BOY!
  • i'm not getting it.  I heard that most of those flu shots have mercury in it.  i rather not get the shot.  i'm making sure i take care of myself by washing my hands a lot especially before i eat, i'm taking lots of vitamin C and excersizing. 
  • I had my 18 wk appt yesterday and my Dr recommended a Flu Shot... typically I am very anti-flu-shot (there are too many unknown studies that can be done int he future linking the inactive ingredients to God-knows-what kind of cancer, parkinsons, autism, etc. and who knows how many injections I will have had at that point. I've never really gotten the flu and I just don't see it is a necessary injection.)

Well, they advised that last year 4 women were in the ICU for the flu and they definitely recommend it because of suppressed immune systems - not so much that baby will get immunities because time of birth will be after flu season. So they gave me some literature to read through before they administer it. And OK - I gave in and got the flipping flu shot.

Well I told DH how the apt went and I got a flu shot - and he's like, "oh great! With all those people getting meningitis and dying from injections - that's just what you need..." (those were from steroid injections - not flu-shots).

Thanks Honey - way to make me feel good about the educated decision that I made but wasn't entirely happy with but had to deal with because I don't want to end up in the ICU for 12 days... Instead, I am going to get meningitis... What a dummy!

Pregnancy Ticker PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagepaulette1979:
    i'm not getting it.  I heard that most of those flu shots have mercury in it.  i rather not get the shot.  i'm making sure i take care of myself by washing my hands a lot especially before i eat, i'm taking lots of vitamin C and excersizing. 

You could always call your doctor and ask if they have the one that doesn't have the thimerosal-free vaccine. Not everyone has them, but I believe they're more common now than they were a few years ago. 

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"