3rd Trimester

If you've gotten your flu shot this season

How long ago did you get it?

I just need reassurance that it is okay and safe for pregnancy.  Logically, I know that it is, but my miscarriage last year occurred within days of getting the flu shot (baby stopped growing within days, then I started bleeding 2 weeks later), and it has been weighing on my mind ever since.  My OB insists that it was just coincidental and that it is important for me to get the vaccine, and I believe him, I just need to see some real life experiences.

Thanks.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
Our little man is getting bigger every day!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
My BFP Chart
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you've gotten your flu shot this season

• I got mine 2 weeks ago and everything is A-OK.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got my flu shot on Tuesday, my arm felt a little sore yesterday but nothing bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got mine monday. Everything is fine with me and the baby.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I got mine two weeks ago, no problems. The flu shot is not only good for you, but helps protect the baby after birth. I can't imagine the struggle you are going through mentally, GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got mine about a month ago (whenever they first were available).  I understand your concerns -- I had the same ones -- but my doc assured me that it was safe, and even beneficial for baby since 1) getting the flu this late in your pregnancy can be dangerous, and 2) you may pass some of the immunity on to your baby, who can't otherwise get vaccinated right away.  GL with your decision!
    12/1/11 BFP, missed m/c diagnosed @ 9w2d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got mine yesterday at my routine check up.  When my doctor asked if I wanted it, I hesitated..because I hadn't done my research.  She noticed my hesitation and said to me "If it were me, I would get it today".  So I trusted her and got the shot.  I've read nothing to the contrary online, and in the What to Expect book it says that in the 3rd trimester it can even provide benefits to your baby for up to 6 months after they are born and until they get their first flu shot. 
  • Last year, I got mine at like 32 weeks. No side effects other than a sore arm.
  • I got mine yesterday and everything seems to be going good! Baby girl is still moving around like crazy. Smile
  • I got mine about a week ago and I'm 35 weeks, had an appt yesterday and the baby is doing great.  
  • I declined the flu shot at my appointment last Friday and actually had to sign a waiver that I was declining it.  I've never had the flu shot and only had the flu one time in my life several years ago.  I personally don't subscribe to the belief of taking shots for everything.
  • I didn't have any problems with the shot with my last pregnancy.  I'll be getting one again next week.
  • Got mine on 9/24. I totally believe in getting the vaccine, but I also can totally see how your particular history would be alarming. Maybe wait a bit more??
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got mine just over a week ago.  We're doing great! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got mine last week at 36w1d.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got mine a week ago today, and I feel DD kicking away now.

Norah transformed our family January 6, 2013

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the responses.  I just needed to see reassurance that people get this all the time and everything is still a-okay.  Like I said before, in my head, it makes more sense that my experience was a coincidence than anything pregnancy related, but the logical side of me goes out the window when it comes to that experience.

I will ask about it today, and probably get it if it's available (they were all out last appt.), along with my Rhogam shot.  Fun, fun!

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • I got mine about 3 weeks ago and all is good! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Got mine last week and I also got one while preg with DS, not a problem.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I got mine last week. I don't think there are any restrictions on when in your pregnancy you get the flu shot. Whooping cough has to be after 20 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagelindseywit:
    I got mine 2 weeks ago and everything is A-OK.  

THIS! 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • I got mine last week at my 37 week appt. It was my very first flu shot ever and I was nervous I was going to get sick. It was totally fine. My shoulder where they gave me the shot felt a little sore like a bruise for a day or 2 :)
  • I got mine 3 weeks ago.  All is well.
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • I got mine last Tuesday and I've felt fine ever since- baby is still moving like crazy.   

• I got mine Tues and had a dr appt Wed and all was well with LO. The only side effect so far is a sore arm..

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• I got mine about two weeks ago and everything is fine with me and the baby. 
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • I got mine a month ago today, we are all doing fine :) I got one when I was pregnant with DD about a month before she was born and she turned out A-OK too!  

Good luck, I know it's not an easy decision. 

• 2 weeks ago
  • I got mine about 2 weeks ago. My husband is a pharmacist and he gave it to me, which he probably would have done a little sooner but he ordered the preservative free for me. DS and DH got theirs a couple weeks ago as well.

I had no issues (never have). You may want to do the preservative free if you're nervous about it.

• I got mine 10 days ago

would've been sooner but I had a cold

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • imagemeganthechef:
    I got mine monday. Everything is fine with me and the baby.

Same here - got it Monday - arm was sore to lay on it or touch the spot for a day or so, thats it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just got mine today. But with my first pregnancy I got it done around 7 weeks. I can't imagine the emotional struggle you are going through. But I am sure the two were not related. This will protect your baby now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• OP, sorry about your miscarriage last time.

It's the weirdest thing-- I really think heard immunity is incredibly important and that immunizations are safe and are literally life savers.  But now I'm pregnant, so I can't help but get a little nervous before I get a shot.  I get Rhogam too, and even doing that at the 28 weeks mark made me feel a little weird. So I get the worries, too.

I got my flu shot on the 9th, and she's been tossing and turning and hiccuping as much as ever!  Oh, but my shoulder is still sore.

• I am getting mine today, along with the TDAP shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"