June 2011 Moms

CPW: Candy/Sweets

Do you allow LO to have sweets/candy?  I was shocked to see on another board that some LO's still have never had sweets and was curious if I was in the minority or them :)[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: CPW: Candy/Sweets

• DD falls into the 'couple times a month' category, and it always happens at the grandparents' houses, never my own :P  DD ate an entire ice-cream sandwich one day at the ILs.  She has never had candy though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bell had cake at her birthday (and smash). Also we?ve been to a few parties where she had a bite of something but never gets her own. 

Though I'm almost positive my mother gives her sweets on occasion but she knows never to actually admit to that.

That said I will let her have some halloween candy this year.

photo a1c2c501-51d6-4155-bc5d-e15072d2426d_zps1135e754.jpg 

**Siggy Challenge What You're Looking Forward to Most after Baby Arrives**

• Loading the player...
  • I put "a few times a month" because that's what I'd prefer. He's had cake or ice cream at a party, a bite of a cookie, etc. It's all fine in moderation IMO.

But DC gives him sweets several times a week which is too much I think.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • we don't have alot of sweets in the house but she has a taste of birthday cake or ice cream if we're at a party. this past weekend she of course, had a little taste of DS's bday cake and some ice cream :)
  • So far, she's only had any sweets on special occasions like her birthday or if we're at someone else's party. I'm a bit of a health nut and I purposely keep sweets out of the house because I know the limits of my self-control.

At the last get together we went to, there a chocolate mousse cake. DD had literally 3 bites and was running around like a lunatic. I really don't need that on a regular basis. lol. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • I voted "a few times a month".  He doesn't have sweets that often, but he does have sweets more than just special occasions.  When we go out to dinner, if I have ice cream I'll give him a few bits.  If the kids have cookies for snack once in a while I'll give him 1/2 a cookie, etc.  We don't do "candy" in our house unless it's Halloween, I'm not big on having lollipops and candy bars around the house, because I know I'll be the one to eat them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • imagetas1883:
    At home seldom just becuase my H is paroniod she will get fat (she is underweight right now and doctor see no worry).  That said my H thinks he will get fat if he eats a brownie or cupcake and he is also underweight. 
    Wow I would be nipping that kind of talk in the bud right now. I would be pissed if MH gave C some kind of negative body image because of his own hangups.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • C has cake/cupcakes if it is a special occasion. She has never had any candy but we do have oreos around the house sometimes and she has occasionally had those. Also if we go out for ice cream or fro yo she gets bites of that.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Not candy so much...

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Em has chocolate a least a few times a week. She begs for it at the cabinet. She loves it, but only gets a piece or two. Once in a while, she'll have a little vanilla ice cream. I hope I'm not causing a problem!!
  • imageamypogg6:
    Em has chocolate a least a few times a week. She begs for it at the cabinet. She loves it, but only gets a piece or two. Once in a while, she'll have a little vanilla ice cream. I hope I'm not causing a problem!!

DD has something sweet almost every night. She also begs for it some nights, I know it's not for everyone but I don't think we are doing any harm. She is in the 5 for weight so I'm not really concerned about that right now. Our sweets consist of yogurt raisins chocolate and vanilla chocolate covered blueberries, a few mini mms and occasionally something else we might have like a cookie or pudding. So it's not like we give her a whole candy bar either. And she LOVES her fruits and veggies so she eats very balanced meals.
  • I picked only on special occasions, but that's not completely accurate. He's only had sweets a few times, maybe... 5. But not really for special occasions. Just if we decide to eat something sweet before he goes to bed we will let him have some. It doesn't happen often.
  • I said a few times a month but it's not that often that she gets real sweets (dessert-type things)... it's more than just her birthday though.  I can think of a handful of occasions where she has had sweets: a little cake on her birthday, a little cake at her grandfather's birthday, a piece of cider donut when we were out apple picking, and maybe one other time. 

She has never had candy and won't for a while yet, I don't think.

That being said, she does have healthy sweet things like yogurt with fruit mixed in, plain fruit, etc.  We also let her have graham crackers and dates that have some sugar added, which I guess could be considered sweets (but I don't think of them as "dessert"). 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Sam is on an organic, whole foods diet. He doesn't get anything with refined sugar or processed foods. I personally think that our children are far to young to be fed candy, sugar and chocolate. 
    sam & arlo 

• I assume you're meaning candy, cupcakes, chocolates, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. In that case, rarely. If it's a birthday, a holiday, grandma's house on a rare occasion, etc, then yes, I'll let her have something (without icing). However, we don't give her things like that at home.

I do, however, let her have the occasional animal cracker, fruit snacks, or yogurt raisin when I can't get her to eat anything else. I find these to be far less "evil" than straight cookies, cupcakes, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The girls have only had a cupcake on their birthday. Right now mango or cantaloupe is heaven to them, and I plan on taking advantage of that as long as possible.
  • I don't give it to her normally, but I don't panic if others do. My dad kept sneaking her chocolate chip cookie under the counter at a football game the other night :)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • He eats all kinds of toddler cookies regularly, but rarely does he eat very sugary sweets, and he's never had candy. Though I'm tempted sometimes with the lollipops at the bank, I'm afraid to get him in the habit of expecting treats.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think that there is a big difference between  ice crea/frozen yogurt and candy. My son has never had candy (that I know of) but a few bites here and there of ice cream ad frozen yogurt.  Frozen yogurt, especially, has some benefit.  Candy has none.
  • I put never but I lied.. sorry.  I forgot about his birthday and I also shared ice cream with him on Sunday.  Other than those 2 occassions, no he does not get sweets. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He never has candy candy, but he has a cookie, piece of cake, or pie regularly.  I love baking so at least once a week we have a good dessert in the house and he gets some.  On a daily basis his sweets are usually a few animal crackers or a couple graham cracker squares. 

• I said couple times a month, but even then it's only a bite or two. He'll have some cake at a party, a few bites of my ice cream, etc. I've never given him a whole cookie and he's never had any candy. I have a really hard time getting him to eat any "real" food as it is, so I see no need to let him know that sweets are even an option on a regular basis.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • no candy but sweets like MIL's homemade Cambodian desserts made with fruits and sweet rice, yes.

Once in a while froyo and vegan/organic chocolates when I am eating them.

• He gets treats kind of regularly, but I feel like they are helping him learn to self-regulate. For example, if I make cookies, he might get one after dinner. I don't think he has every finished an entire cookie. He reaches for it, he seems to really enjoy the few bites (rarely more than half the cookie) he eats, then he puts it down and he's done. If he can learn to enjoy the occasional treat without gorging on them, that's fantastic in my opinion.

peace,
    katharine

Book-Kitten blog

• imagelovelovelovelovelove:
    Sam is on an organic, whole foods diet. He doesn't get anything with refined sugar or processed foods. I personally think that our children are far to young to be fed candy, sugar and chocolate.nbsp;

I've been side eyeing your sanctimommy self since the circ post. Please remember that your opinions are just that. YOURS. If you don't circ or feed sweets, awesome for you. It doesn't mean that those who make a different choice are wrong.

/hormone fueled rant. The way you stated your opinion rubbed me wrong...

• imageihearttab:
    imagelovelovelovelovelove:
    Sam is on an organic, whole foods diet. He doesn't get anything with refined sugar or processed foods. I personally think that our children are far to young to be fed candy, sugar and chocolate.nbsp;
    I've been side eyeing your sanctimommy self since the circ post. Please remember that your opinions are just that. YOURS. If you don't circ or feed sweets, awesome for you. It doesn't mean that those who make a different choice are wrong. /hormone fueled rant. The way you stated your opinion rubbed me wrong...

Hmm.. I was just answering the question asked by the OP. Asking if I feed my child sweets. My answer was saying Nope, I feed my child (Sam) an organic, whole foods diet. The OP was asking, so I stated my opinion. And our kids are too young for sweets, IMO. 

And in regards to the circ post - you're right, my opinion is just that. My opinion. I feel really strongly about circ, and while I may not have chosen the best words to state that, it doesn't mean that I was intentionally trying to make other mothers feel poorly. I am a very literal and up front person, and I tend to state my opinion in a very upfront manner. In some aspects of my life, this is a blessing and in some (like here) it seems to be an invitation for hormone fuelled responses  such as yours. 

My "Sanctimommy self" thanks you for the call out though. It was exactly what I needed tonight! 

sam & arlo 

• Mobile bump doesn't handle quoting well... But lovelovelove,

I had no issue with you stating the choice you've made for Sam. But saying "OUR children are far too young for sweets" is, at least to me, implying that those who think it's okay in moderation are wrong. I think that does make other mothers feel poorly.

As does stating that you judge families who have made a personal decision regarding their sons.

The only part of my rant that was [jokingly] fueled by hormones was calling you sanctimommy and for that, I'm sorry. It was flat out rude. It would have been better for me to say that the way you state your strong opinions seems offensive to me.

• imageihearttab:
    Mobile bump doesn't handle quoting well... But lovelovelove, I had no issue with you stating the choice you've made for Sam. But saying "OUR children are far too young for sweets" is, at least to me, implying that those who think it's okay in moderation are wrong. I think that does make other mothers feel poorly.

She said that yes, but you are ignoring the things she said before. She preceded the statement with "I personally think." Nothing about that statement says that she thinks her opinion is dogma. She thinks that children this age are too young, and you disagree, so you think that she is wrong. Fine. Should lovelove feel badly because many of the other posters disagree with her?

Obviously, we all have to make choices for our children based on what we think is best for not only our individual child but children in general. If someone feels badly about her choices because someone states mild disagreement (note she didn't say, "you are terrible mothers" "don't you know there is an obesity epidemic," or any of the other potentially hurtful super-judgy statements that could have been said in this thread), then maybe she needs to think about the choice until she is secure about her decision.

• RLH, you're right that much worse things could have been said. I still believe that given the fact that most every reply above hers mentioned kids getting the occasional sweet, her reply seemed judgy.

I am perfectly willing to accept that maybe I am the only one who felt that way. I'll also admit my knee jerk reaction and first reply were definitely colored by my feelings on another of her strong opinions. As I've already apologized for calling her sanctimonious, I'll stand by what I've already stated. The way her opinions are stated bothers me.

That's all. I have no ill will for lovelove, I remember her awesome birth story and I respect she's obviously doing what she believes is best as a mom, just like the rest of us.

• ihearttab - You're right, I tend to have a very blunt way of wording things. And after thinking about this for a few days, I've come to realize that perhaps I can come across as sanctimonious in some of my posts. (This is not my intention!) I have a very natural and holistic approach to parenting, and a lot of my choices and views are not popular ones on The Bump. For the most part, I chime in on neutral subjects and stay out of the controversial ones. (With the exception of the circ' post, of course.)

I believe in keeping babies intact and whole. I believe in feeding them only nourishing and whole foods. I use cloth diapers, he wears organic clothing, and we do not vaccinate. I am sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, or seems sanctimonious or "holier than thou" to you - but truly that is just my personal stance on parenting and my choice on how I raise my babies. I can assure you that I only have the best of intentions in mind. My feelings about circumcision (and the way I worded them) seem to have really affected you in a lingering and negative way. I've already apologized for for the offensive manner in which I stated my opinion, and will try to be more aware of the impression my chosen words are leaving in the future. 

sam & arlo 

• lovelovelove, thanks for replying. I wanted to say again that I respect the choices you've made for your child. They don't make me in the least bit uncomfortable. I subscribe to many of the same ideals. I have no lingering feelings toward you and as you've thoughtfully explained that you may have come across the wrong way [which is really the only thing I took issue with], we're good.

All the best to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"