June 2012 Moms

Doctor made me feel bad today.

Hannah weighed in at 16 lbs 15 oz. She was born at 7lb 2 oz and 13 lbs at her 2 month appointment. The doctor said that they want the babies to double their birth weight by 6 months and Hannah has already more than doubled hers at 4 months. She made me feel guilty for how big Hannah is already. I feed her on demand and she typically takes about 5 oz every 3ish hours with a little cluster feeding before bed but also sleeps from 7 pm to 6 am. I'd say she takes in about 25-28 ounces a day. So it's not like she eats an extreme amount.

She also asked me if Hannah was trying to roll belly to back yet. Hannah doesn't really attempt to. We try tummy a couple times a day but she won't tolerate it for more than a few minutes. The doctor tried telling me that we need to put H on the floor more. That is where Hannah spends most of her time. We don't use the swing anymore and I only use the bouncer in the bathroom (lol sorry for the tmi). Her carseat is a convertible seat so it's not like I take her in the house in that and leave her in it. I'm not sure I can do much else to give her more tummy time unless I let her scream through it and I'm not going to do that.

So someone tell me I'm not a horrible mother. lol My kid is just a lazy chub I guess. haha

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12

Re: Doctor made me feel bad today.

• I wouldn't worry about.  Barring a physical disability ALL Kia will eventually learn to roll over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Aw, I'm sorry. DS was 7lbs at birth and 14lbs14oz at his 4m appointment, and he was in the 50th percentile, so doubling birth weight by 6 months sounds on the small side to me actually. She sounds fine!

And I forget where I read it, but I remember reading that some babies hit spatial and visual milestones before the physical ones, so it's easy to think of them as being 'behind' when it's really just that grasping an object appears less impressive to us than rolling or sitting. Is she reaching for things or grasping objects?

My kid hates tummy time and hasn't rolled over either, fwiw.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was 8lbs 11oz at birth and as of Sunday (3 months 1 week and 3 days) he was 17lbs (in the 75th percentile) he is also EBF and I feed on demand every 3 hours. Honestly though he's just a big boy, (26 inches) he doesn't look extremely chunky or over weight.I wouldn't worry about it. If your little one looks healthy then that's all that matters :)

Also, DS has not rolled back to front, but he has rolled front to back (will only do this when laying in his crib or on my bed while we play in the morning - he doesn't do it when on the play mat). I'm not too concerned. He will do the rolling when he is ready. He also hates tummy time, so I prop his arms up on a pillow and he tolerates it better. I know it's not exactly the same but he is working those muscles still.He is reaching for and starting to gasp at object though :)

• Don't feel bad! I'm not sure how much DS weighs right now, but he will be 4 months on Sunday and still is not attempting to roll belly to back during tummy time. He also screams a lot during tummy time unless he can push his feet against something. Even then, it only gets his tummy time to a few minutes longer. I have noticed he will stay on his belly longer if he is up on the bed and I am kneeling on the floor where he can see me without having to bend in half backwards to look up. Hang in there! FWIW, I am jealous that you were able to BF. You should be proud that your milk is so rich that she is gaining weight well. (Okay, that kind of sounds weird, but I totally mean it as a cup-half-full thing and not a creepy thing.)

• Do not feel like a bad momma!

Babies are supposed to gain weight:). I'm sure once she becomes more mobile, she will "thin out", Lol. My dd has also doubled her weight and she's not quite four months yet. And really, what is your pedi's solution...stop feeding her when she's hungry? Baby Weight Watchers? I'm no dr, but keep doing what you're doing!!:)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Don't worry! Mine was 8 at birth and was 18 at the 3 month mark and at 4 months only went up to 19.5, I was told this was all good!
  • Oh gosh, your doctor sounds stupid. Dont worry at all about her weight; she sounds healthy to me! FWIW, DD was just shy of doubling  her birth weight by 6 months and the nurses and drs were al concerned that she was much too small. She was in the 3rd percentile for weight and it was such a concern that we had to supplement. 

And as PP said, baring a true physical 'delay' all babies will roll, sit, crawl, etc. They'll just do it in their own time. 

Remember, parent by instinct, not by fear :) 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • your kid and my kid are both fatties and lazy.. it's all good :) She refuses tummy time (screams her head off) but if you put her on her back, she immediately rolls to her stomach (enter screaming her head off) and is also 16lbs .. don't worry about it, all babies go at their own pace and grow differently. Your doctor is mean :( 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I wondered at this whole doubling weight thing.  DS was a preemie, but he was 4lbs, 3 oz at birth.  He weighed 10lbs, 5oz at his 2 month checkup, and he's probably around 13 lbs, 6oz now.  So not a big baby, but how in the world can they say double by 6 months?  I guess I'm a horrible mother too, letting my kid eat when he wants.  Wink

DS isn't rolling over either, so don't feel bad about that.  He just turned 4 months today..  He isn't showing any signs of wanting food either, so I am not joining the cereal party just yet.  Like a PP said, some kids meet other milestones first-I have a feeling I'll have a crawler/walker before he rolls over!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • None of my kids have been 'rollers'.  Eventually they do it, but they just never had any interest in it.  Blair (DD#3) seems to be following her sisters and is happy enough on her tummy, but just pushes herself up and looks around, lying her head down when she's tired - no attempts at rolling over.

As for the weight - it doesn't sound like H is eating too much, and babies are supposed to be nice and 'fat' - it's healthy, and they slowly lose chub as they become more mobile and into toddlerhood.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BRBR member
    Do not feel bad at all! I hate when doctors or other people make us feel like this.  DD was 5.9 lbs at birth and 15 lbs. at her four month appointment.  My pedi said she was absolutley fine.  He also said the average oz. of formula for babies of her size/age is 18-30 oz. a day.  But that some babies eat more than that and that it is fine.  Mine eats 25 oz. per day.  You are doing a great job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so confused why they were so rude to you. It's not like she's behind. How rude.

I'm pretty sure the only reason E rolls is because she wants to avoid tummy time. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS was 6 lbs 3 oz at birth and as of 3 1/2 months was already over 14 lbs. (EBF, feed on demand) and he's not a super chunky baby. I think I would be concerned if my pedi thought he should be gaining weight slower

As far as tummy time, S hates it 95% of the time if he's on the floor on his tummy. If he's in a GREAT mood, he'll be happy with it for 5 minutes--tops. But he does like when we carry him around on his tummy, or if he's laying on our chests on his tummy he likes that more. You could try some other means of tummy time, but definitely don't feel bad that she doesn't enjoy floor tummy time, and don't stress about the rolling over either! 

• DS was born at exactly 8 and at his 4 month he was 17.6, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My pedi didn't seem concerned. 
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • Not a horrible mother!  My DS is 17 weeks and at his check up last week he was 18 lbs 2 oz and 25 1/2 inches.  He was a big baby, 9 lbs 8 oz!  He's trying to roll from back to belly first.  Babies are all different, no worries!!
    Stefani Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"