Working Moms

Nurses?

Are there any moms that are Nurses and if so how much time do you get to spend with your LO?  I am going to Nursing school and I feel bad that now I am going to be missing out on time with my DD and she is so use to me being around her.  School is going to take alot of time I know but I was wondering if the work schedules allow for more time with your children.  Any advise is appreciated.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nurses?

• RN here! I went back to school before I had kids. My first job was on an Oncology floor working 7a-7p 3x a week. Somehow I lucked out and got day shift right out of school! There are pros and cons to these types of hours.

Cons: I was not able to see DS hardly at all on those days that I worked. I was out the door before he woke up and typically got home closer to 8pm in time to help with bath, nurse, and put to bed.

Working in a hospital also meant that you had to work your fair share of holidays and weekends. We worked every 3rd weekend which seemed to creep up so quickly! I missed alot of family time on those weekends and holidays...family BBQ's, birthday parties, Christmas mornings, etc.

Pros: Working 3 days a week means that you have 4 glorious days off with LO! I was able to spend alot of quality time with him on those days.

Ultimately, when I got pregnant with DS2, I decided that I could no longer miss all those precious family moments and desperately needed my holidays and weekends back. It took quite a bit of searching, but I am now in an outpatient Oncology clinic working M-F 8-5 and I LOVE it. Yes, I now work 5 days a week, but I am able to take my son to daycare and pick him up, have nightly family dinners, attend my niece and nephews football and volleyball games on the weekends, etc. I no longer miss any more holidays and can really enjoy time as a family. To me, this is priceless.

Some other nurse moms that I know work night shift and it works great for them and their family! HTH! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• imageLouRN09:

RN here! I went back to school before I had kids. My first job was on an Oncology floor working 7a-7p 3x a week. Somehow I lucked out and got day shift right out of school! There are pros and cons to these types of hours.

Cons: I was not able to see DS hardly at all on those days that I worked. I was out the door before he woke up and typically got home closer to 8pm in time to help with bath, nurse, and put to bed.

Working in a hospital also meant that you had to work your fair share of holidays and weekends. We worked every 3rd weekend which seemed to creep up so quickly! I missed alot of family time on those weekends and holidays...family BBQ's, birthday parties, Christmas mornings, etc.

Pros: Working 3 days a week means that you have 4 glorious days off with LO! I was able to spend alot of quality time with him on those days.

Ultimately, when I got pregnant with DS2, I decided that I could no longer miss all those precious family moments and desperately needed my holidays and weekends back. It took quite a bit of searching, but I am now in an outpatient Oncology clinic working M-F 8-5 and I LOVE it. Yes, I now work 5 days a week, but I am able to take my son to daycare and pick him up, have nightly family dinners, attend my niece and nephews football and volleyball games on the weekends, etc. I no longer miss any more holidays and can really enjoy time as a family. To me, this is priceless.

Some other nurse moms that I know work night shift and it works great for them and their family! HTH! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Perfect...Thanks....That is what I wanted to know.  I still have a bit to go b/c I am in the beginning of my nursing school.  It seems the way to go though is to really search for an office that has more set hours than a hospital. 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a nurse, I work 3 12 hour shifts a week from 6pm-6am.  I feel like I get to spend a ton of time with my kids.  It's harder the next day after I've worked all night.  DS is in school and DD goes to DC for half a day.  That's when I sleep.  School is tough, but once your working, it's a lot easier.  It does suck to have to work weekends and holidays, but most places are pretty fair about switching the holidays up so the same people aren't always working the same ones.  I love my career and truly enjoy what I do :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NP. I work MF 8:154:15.
    I pick up and drop off LO at daycare.
    I am now in inpatient and have to do holidays sad. When I did outpt I did not have to work holidays.
  • I also work in an outpatient oncology clinic. I work 7305 4 days a week. I like it. We're closed for all major holidays and weekends. But as a new nurse you need to get experience in the hospital. Most hospitals here do 12 hour shifts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I work 12hr x3/week and love it.

I get to see LO for a little bit on days I work, because I'm a bad mom and he stays up until 9-9:30 most nights. It gets hard if I happen to work 3 in a row, although I try not to.

BUT 4 days off a week = awesome, complete awesome.

I would not want to work in a clinic, because I don't want to work 5 days a week. Some people prefer that though.

The great thing about nursing is the flexibility- there are SO many options besides 7-7.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nursing is super flexible & you will a zillion different ways to do it. Don't forget that the hospital is not the only setting for nurses and while some of the settings will want acute care experience first, not all do...there are many community based settings that you can get into if that interests you, outpatient centers, jobs in hospitals that may have different types of hours, etc. It really depends on what you like doing, what population you like working with and other things like your previous background/experience, etc.
    Nursing is really a wonderful career in that way- soooo many options.

GL!

PS you didnt say but I would recommend getting a BSN from the get go if you can. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"