Breastfeeding
Options

something is wrong with lefty!

I have been pumping once a day an hour after LO's morning feeding in order to build up a stash for when I go back to work.  I recently started pumping his evening feeding while DH gives him a bottle.  Last night I only got 1/2 an ounce out of my left boob while pumping.  When I finished I felt a clogged duct so I put LO on it to pull it out.  He definitely was getting something out as he ate for probably a good 10 minutes and definitely had a let down.  After he was finished I didn't feel the clog anymore so I figured that was why I got so little while pumping.  This morning I did my regular routine...LO ate from 8-8:30am and I pumped at 9:30 for 25 minutes (I usually only do 20 but when I saw I wasn't getting anything in the left I gave it an extra 5) Still only 1/2 an ounce! I am using a hospital grade Ameda pump and my right had the same output as always.  I also switched up the phlanges because I thought maybe something was wrong with the one I used on the left last night, but that doesn't seem to be the problem! I don't feel a clog this morning.  What is happening!?!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: something is wrong with lefty!

• Options
    I have the exact same problem, lefty is a total under performer for the pump. Have you always had this issue or is it new for you?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    While lefty has always been the under achiever....I usually get an ounce to an ounce and a half when I pump in the morning. It is also kind of achy now? I hope I am not getting mastitis!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try heat before pumping, maybe that will help. Hope it's not mastitis!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    It is my righty (Rachel) that is the under achiever.  Always has been, and LO doesn't like her as much.  My LC said that happens about 70% of the time one out performs the other.  Breathe and don't stress. 
    Born with TEF, but right as rain now! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My lefty is my sad side too!

I have had clogs last for 5 days and never got mastitis.  So don't worry about that.  Just make sure to nurse as often as you can on that side. 

• Options
    Here's one suggestion.  Try latching your LO on to your right side and pumping only on the left side at the same time.  Sometimes, the letdown on the right will help with production (pumping-wise) on the left.  I always had way more pumping volume when I did it that way.  And if it's a clog, it will help it clear up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies...I'm just concerned because of the decrease from 1 -1 1/2 to just a 1/2.  That plus the fact that it is achy.  I can't find a clog, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean its not there. I can't really pump while I nurse because LO nurses from both sides in one feeding.  I am just going to keep doing heat and nurse and hopefully I don't get anymore symptoms!
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem. I know lefty is my underperformer, and LO prefers the right, but I've been trying to up production on the left so that it balances out, so I've been having him start on the left for multiple feedings in a row (he always takes both sides). But the last couple of days pump output has decreased, lefty is sore, and after pumping I can still feel pressure and hand express a spray from lefty if I try. I'm thinking it has to be a clog and I have been trying to get it out, even though I can't feel where it is. Grrr! 
    T&Y Est. 7/4/2009

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My supply dipped for a few days after a clogged duct.it bounced back though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"