Breastfeeding

Prepping a used pump

My cousin just gave me her Medela double electric pump-in-style.

I'm just curious what I need to do to sanitize it properly and if there are some parts that I should just buy new for me. 

Thank you for your advice!! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Prepping a used pump

• Probably new tubing and bottles, and breast sheilds, but other than that you should be good.  Our local pharmacy sells a start up pack for like $50.00 that has ALL that stuff in it.  So that might be a way to go for you. 

Born with TEF, but right as rain now! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That pump is an open system, so there's no way to make it sanitary for multiple users.

If you want to use it, replace everything, including the tubing. But that still doesn't make it safe, as there could be mold in the motor. The only pumps that are safe for multiple users are closed system pumps like Ameda and Hygeia pumps. If you google closed system pumps, you'll find a list of them. You can get a used one from eBay and replace the accessories. That's the safest way to go.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshotzie:
    That pump is an open system, so there's no way to make it sanitary for multiple users. If you want to use it, replace everything, including the tubing. But that still doesn't make it safe, as there could be mold in the motor. The only pumps that are safe for multiple users are closed system pumps like Ameda and Hygeia pumps. If you google closed system pumps, you'll find a list of them. You can get a used one from eBay and replace the accessories. That's the safest way to go.

I was curious about that. I will have to do some research. Thank you! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also have th pump in style and I am not sure how it is considered an open system, the milk doesn't go through the tubes or pump. I would buy all new parts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"