April 2013 Moms

Anyone else nervous?

My husband and I got married in July. We knew we wanted to start trying right off the bat so we didn't have sex our whole engagement so I would have time to get off the pill and start prenatals. I've always heard it usually takes 2-3 months at least to concieve yet we managed to get pregnant right away!!! our wedding was July 21st and I'm due april 20th so it was shocking. He kept bugging me when it was time for my first period and I kept telling him there's just no way that would be crazy but sure enough here I am. 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow!

We're both really excited but I am getting soooo nervous. This is our first (besides our furbaby) and so far we have nothing at all for baby. I want to do cloth diapers but I don't know who to talk to to find out info on it. I want to start buying stuff but my husband doesn't seem to think it's that important right now. I know he's a guy but how do I get it through his head that you can't wait until last minute on this stuff. It's baby steps! I'm just getting really nervous that we're not going to be ready at all. =/

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone else nervous?

• Congrats :) dh and I are waiting till we find out the sex of the baby before we start buying and getting the nursery ready...right now I feel like going out and buying a whole shwack of baby items is kind of jynxing myself...not to say if I find a smokin deal I wont buy it but for the most we are waiting a couple more months :)
    Trying To Conceive Since October 2010 October 2010 BFP :) -> November 2010 M/C @ 7weeks Clomid Cycle #1 July 2011 = BFN Clomid Cycle #2 September 2011 = BFN Clomid Cycle #3 November 2011 = BFN Letrazole Cycle #1 = January 2012 = BFN HSG February 2012- Growths in uterus both tubes open D&C March 2012- Remove Polyps SURPRISE BFP-August 15 2012 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I get the nervousness thing - there's so much to do and so much I don't know. I'm pregnant with our first as well, and sometimes just feel completely overwhelmed with it all. But, I look at it this way - at our fingertips we've got a wealth of information from all over the world, and can easily search to find anything we're looking for, right? Our parents didn't have that, and they probably weren't more any clued in than we are - and we all survived so it's going to be okay. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats! I am a little nervous as well. I also am dying to buy things but am waiting to go crazy until we know the sex. I bought a bunch of unisex onsies with birthday money and DH told me to slow down on the baby gear! lol. I also told him we would be getting all of the nursery furniture once we knew what we are having... he told me no! It's happening though because my mom is flying in to be at the U/S and she will want to go nursery shopping with me. There's plenty of time to get everything though!
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • I haven't bought anything yet (this is our first too).  We were like you guys -- I went off the pill the day we got engaged.  However, we still tried to prevent until after the wedding and then it did take us a few months (Our 1 year anniversary is actually next Monday).

Anyway, I don't plan on buying anything until we find out the gender and then I think I will pick up the occasional cute piece of clothing.  I assume that a lot of things we need wil be covered by registry / showers -- we will probably buy the furniture early so that we can set it up and be prepared just in case Baby comes early!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Don't worry... there is still plenty of time!  We stated off buying the nursery furniture a piece at a time when I was around 12-14 weeks with DS.  Eventually we had showers -- if you're having a shower seriously wait to buy anything but the big stuff because people will want options and you will still get to make a big shopping trip after the shower(s) to purchase the leftovers -- and had most of the stuff we wanted and by around 32 weeks we were set and ready for the baby to come.  Also, remember that babies really don't NEED as much as retailers want you to think. 

As for cloth diapers, don't get intimidated by all the information out there.  This is a good book: Changing Diapers: The Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapers. I also always recommend starting out with prefolds and covers for newborns.  They're really easy and the cheapest way to go while you figure out later what diapers you want to use for your baby and what works for you and your baby.  (You may find you like prefolds and stick with those throughout diapering too -- I know plenty of people who have done that option.) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Cloth diapers- go to YouTube and search "Cloth Diapering 101" and watch the whole 7 part series. Even my husband sat through the whole thing and felt confident about what to do/buy afterward. 
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Congrats on being so fortunate to have no problems conceiving!

This is our first and I'm nervous too! But I feel like there's plenty of time. I'm waiting to find out the sex of the baby before we start buying things. I have started looking on amazon.com and adding things to a "baby wish list" to start getting a list together of things I like or think we'll need. Maybe you could start doing that? I've also started reading a book called The Survival Guide for Rookie Moms. That would be my other suggestion, to start reading to get you ready for taking care of a baby. When we find out the sex, then we'll start making definite plans and organizing our apartment to make room for baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cloth diapers are great!  We used them with DS who is now 4 years old and we will use them again.  I used mostly 1 size pocket diapers (BumGenius one size primarily makes up the stash).  You will need a few small wetbags to hold dirty diapers, and a couple larger ones that fit in a flip top trash can.  I pulled the inserts out as I put the diapers in the wetbag so I was able to just turn the bag inside out in the washing machine.  Easiest laundry I did!
  • I know that this might be an UO... when Elijah was born we had three sleepers, three hats, and our diapers.  In my culture it is frowned upon to have baby stuff before baby is here!  In the first few weeks, friends dropped by with baby cloths, food and other early need stuff.  It totally worked out for us...Also we were team green so there was not sex specific stuff to buy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP#2 May 29/12 EDD Feb 3/13 M/C June 9/12 @ 6 weeks BFP#3 August 12/12 (It rained all day and then at dinner we saw a rainbow... and had a BFP just before bed!) EDD April 21/12
  • I got married July 6th, that was also the first day of my last menstrual period lol. I'm scared and so is my husband but we are also really excited. I am kind of collecting a few baby items but mostly waiting till I find out the gender. I suggest waiting a little like me, just so you don't count your eggs before they hatch like my husband says.
    BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imagemngildersleeve:

We're both really excited but I am getting soooo nervous. This is our first (besides our furbaby) and so far we have nothing at all for baby. I want to do cloth diapers but I don't know who to talk to to find out info on it. I want to start buying stuff but my husband doesn't seem to think it's that important right now. I know he's a guy but how do I get it through his head that you can't wait until last minute on this stuff. It's baby steps! I'm just getting really nervous that we're not going to be ready at all. =/

Congrats on your pregnancy and superb fertility! Big Smile There is an excellent Cloth Diapering board right here at The Bump. I would start lurking over there and reading the posts. And as a PP mentioned, there is a great series on YouTube about cloth diapering.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • imageThereBeDragons:
    Cloth diapers- go to YouTube and search "Cloth Diapering 101" and watch the whole 7 part series. Even my husband sat through the whole thing and felt confident about what to do/buy afterward. 

I second this recommendation.  It truly simplifies the world of cloth diapering.  If you ask a question on the cloth diapering board, you get a ton of different opinions and a lot of lingo that won't make sense.  This video series keeps it simple and shows you how the various diapers work.

We're going with Indian pre-folds and Flips covers.  Plus I plan to sew fleece and wool covers myself.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"