Adoption

WIC and adoption

Since our daughter is on Medicaid she qualifies for Wic. Our family is being really judgemental about it and say "you know what people say about people who get government assistance" I am heartbroken. Needing some reassurance.

Re: WIC and adoption

• Is there any particular reason that you have to tell them?

Now that you mention it, i'm not sure my family is even aware that we collected WIC for the kids...not that I was hiding it, i just dont think it ever came up.

Either way, ignore them.  Do whatever you need to do to put yourself and your daughter in the best position possible...people will always find something to judge.

• I think you can look at it different ways.... It really is a matter of perspective.

1-  If you can afford not to use the assistance, maybe you shouldn't in order to conserve assistance for other families.

OR

2-  You choose to use the assistance because DD may need special care that is more expensive.  This is your way of saving costs on one thing to pay for something else.

OR

3-  Choose to use it and let it allow you to give back to others in need in another way.

Just know that people will have opinions.  Maybe you shouldn't share your choice if you know someone may not be supportive.

PS- Sorry you are feeling judged.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel like you should use everything available to you to provide the best for your child.  We use it for our boys.

My response to your relatives:  "Yes, they are trying to support their children and ensure they are getting the proper nutrition."

I will say that I LOVE getting the nutrition consultation at our WIC appointments.  I learn so much about healthy serving size, what we should/shouldn't be introducing, and a lot of other good tips and facts for that particular age. 

• I'm so sorry that your family is being so critical.  Unfortunately there are a lot of people that have very negative feelings about the WIC program and other forms of government assistance.  

Please don't feel bad, WIC is there for a reason and if your daughter qualifies then it's a great resource for healthy food for her so that she can grow up as healthy as possible.  

Try and ignore them, if they continue to be rude simply tell them that they are really hurting your feelings and ask to change the subject.  I'm really sorry though, I would be hurt too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I say use it.  We get WIC for our foster kiddos.  I will say that the first time I used our WIC checks the cashier was a complete a-hole to me.  I think he himself had an issue with people being on government assistance because he made some really rude remarks.  However, I want to do what is best for these kids..so I chose to ignore it.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• imagectbride08:

Is there any particular reason that you have to tell them?

Now that you mention it, i'm not sure my family is even aware that we collected WIC for the kids...not that I was hiding it, i just dont think it ever came up.

Either way, ignore them.  Do whatever you need to do to put yourself and your daughter in the best position possible...people will always find something to judge.

This.

It's really not anyone else's business. Do what you need to do to provide for your DD. Formula is crazy expensive. If we qualified for WIC I would use it in a heartbeat

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is something I have personally had to overcome. Our foster kids qualify and at first we declined it because I didn't want to deal with the stigma about it. After getting over myself we have WIC appointments for the boys. Do what is best for your family. I would just not talk about it to the ones you know are mouthy about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We got WIC with my daughter who is now 13, and my nephews who are 11, 11, and 10.  I always held my head high because I took kids that had been discarded by the system or their parents or both.  My daughter is now in need of some therapy and guess what the state is paying for that too.  I refuse to feel bad about it.  Remember you are doing something good, and other people's judgements shouldn't make you feel bad about it. 

Born with TEF, but right as rain now! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not 100% sure we'll qualify for WIC or not... if we adopt siblings like we're hoping to, I think we will.  But we're definitely going to apply for it! Absolutely! I'm glad this thread was posted because I wasn't completely sure adoptions were WIC eligible, so I'm glad to see they are.  

My feelings on it is that my husband and I have both worked for years and we're continuing to work and we pay taxes that go into the system that provides for WIC, so it's kinda like I'm just getting some of my taxes right back. ;-)  If you need it, you need it! That's what it's there for! And it's really no one's business if you're on WIC or not.

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"