Breastfeeding

Recommend book on breastfeeding

Hi everyone.  We have a pregnant relative...  She wants to breastfeed, and that is awesome!  But I think she's also pretty nervous about it.

I would love to get her a good breastfeeding book so she can read up a little on things before the baby gets here and have a good reference after baby arrives.  However, all of the ones I have seen are extremely long and boring and tedious to get through.  She's going to be a teenage Mom, she is in her last year of high school (so she's pretty busy already), and she also doesn't have the world's longest attention span sometimes.  I know she would never get through the one that I got at my breastfeeding class.... trying to make my way through it put me to sleep several times, and I'm generally an extremely tenacious reader.

So, my  question is this:  can anyone recommend a good, informative, useful breastfeeding book that is relatively short and somewhat entertaining?  Good illustrations are awesome, especially of the different feeding positions.  It does not need to discuss feeding twins.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Recommend book on breastfeeding

• Breastfeeding made simple. Just finished it in two days and loved. Very concise and o the point.

i have the womanly art of breastfeeding too. It is huge though.  A unlikely to pick it up after BMS. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My favorite is The Breastfeeding Book by Dr Sears.  Very informative and useful.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I liked Food of Love. Lots of cartoonish illustrations and light hearted and fun to read. Also has useful information.
  • I really liked "The Nursing Mother's Companion".  I also read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" and did not care for the tone for some reason.  I've checked back with the first book a million times since starting our breastfeeding relationship :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks.  I'll definitely avoid "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", it would make me feel bad, too... I was in a similar boat as you.  The nursing just didn't click, I had to pump, and we also ended up having to supplement with formula in order to not starve the baby.  And I can't imagine our cousin making her way through it if it feels like it's judging or scolding.

I went back to look, and the one I had was "New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding" and it seemed like it kept repeating almost the same information.  In the beginning of each chapter, they tried to start it out with what I'm sure they thought was a heartwarming story, but even those didn't really sit right with me, and after the story, all attempts to keep you engaged in the reading were completely abandoned.

It does sound like there are several good options out there, though, so I'll have to check those out!  (Who knows, if and when we have kid #2, maybe I'll get one of them for myself, too Big Smile  We're planning on trying for again at some time, and also trying to BF again)  I'm liking the sound of the lighthearted one with lots of illustrations (I'll look back for its name) for our relative.  It sounds like something that would be useful and that she would enjoy.

Thanks, everyone!

• imageKatieKim0815:

Breastfeeding made simple. Just finished it in two days and loved. Very concise and o the point.

i have the womanly art of breastfeeding too. It is huge though.  A unlikely to pick it up after BMS. 

This. Reading it now and it put me completely at ease/

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"