April 2013 Moms

NPR but, I just have to go off about this somewhere. (Baby related)

Holy crap. If I have to see one more stupid FB post about how it's fine to put your 10 month old in a FF car seat I will lose it on someone.
Maybe I'm over-protective and a little into knowing what the state considers safe and all now.
I know that they're recommending 2 years or more RF for safety.
I turned my daughter around before reading about that and just knowing that 20lbs + 1year old is legal.
But, I keep seeing it. 9 and 10 month olds who, given, are close to the weight limit or at it...in a FF.
It's just not safe to me if it were to be in an accident.
I did give in with a VERY close girl friend of mine and post on a picture, "it's a cute seat but, not safe...i told you that!" and she got so offended and all her little FB friends got defensive like I was lying.

Just be safe with your babies. Make your friends aware. Even if they get mad.
So flustered.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NPR but, I just have to go off about this somewhere. (Baby related)

• I agree! I get irritated too! But I never have the guts to say anything. It just annoying when people post it as if to brag that their little one just hit a HUGE milestone. Umm nooo honey, this is not a milestone at all... it's instead a HUGE risk your taking by putting he/she in a FF car seat.

I'm sure this thread will stir up some heavy opinions on this matter!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageNandaB:
    Wait, you turned your kid at 1 and you're making rude comments on facebook? I would be annoyed at that too. I think you are being just as reckless as your friend who turned her kid 2 months before you did. if you really were concerned about your friends baby you could have said something in a way less biitchy way. But saying 'i told you so' is rude, especially since you essentially did the same thing. Why wouldn't you turn your kid back around if you learned about the new guidelines after your kid hit the magical age of 1 if you were sooo concerned about safety?

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, all of this. 

This is a good illustration of why we'll be keeping DD (and future children) RF until they max out the height/weight restrictions on their car seats. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mFsXNXOLw&noredirect=1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I wasn't intending to leave a rude comment, I've told her in person a lot in the past few months to not do that and why it seemed unsafe. It's not just now that it happened but, she posted it to her FB with her new carseat and it just upset me all over again.
    I don't feel I'm blasting her when I FFed a little after 12 months but, I feel I waited until the appropriate guideline to do so. (to my knowledge at the time.)
    Knowing the 2yr and up is to be the new norm. I have decided to RF again, my daughter isn't upset by it thankfully nor am I. 
    What I do get upset with though is her blatant disregard for either guideline.
    I can't be too snarky, I get what you're saying but, it still does upset me..few months earlier or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I plan to RF my children as long as possible if it's the safest.
    I don't mean to come off rude, like I apologized to her for the way I said it when I was upset. 
    I still am put-off by the idea of her FF.
    B--ching about her doing it can be double edged when I did at 12 1/2 m/o.
    Thanks for the feedback here (Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic.)
    Now I can take my high and mighty mom pants off, no place like TB to remind me of that when I make a comment without thinking it all the way through.
  • I completely agree! DS will be 16 months on the 18th and is happily still RF.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • THIS is exactly why I became a Child Passenger Safety Technician.  Honestly, my friends take my advice/urgings/comments much more seriously now that I'm "legit".  Have you considered taking a course and getting certified as a CPST?  You seem to have the right passion for it.  :o)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imagexxnorma:
    I plan to RF my children as long as possible if it's the safest.
    I don't mean to come off rude, like I apologized to her for the way I said it when I was upset. 
    Now I can take my high and mighty mom pants off, no place like TB to remind me of that when I make a comment without thinking it all the way through.

No worries Smile

FWIW, I've shared that link I posted above on my facebook once or twice when I've noticed friends who've talked about/posted pictures of tuning their kids FF well before 1. I've never said anything directly, just a day or so after the post, just kind of nonchalantly been like "One of my mommy friends passed this link on to me and it's just too much to not share it!" I've always posted it as MY status, not on someone else's as I don't want to come off as a b!tch lol.

That probably wouldn't help your situation right now, but might be handy down the road....

• I can't remember when I switched my daughter to front-facing, it was well after a year old, though, she has ALWAYS been tiny and will probably be in a booster seat in the back until she is in high school :P
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJuneBugsMommy:
    I completely agree! DS will be 16 months on the 18th and is happily still RF.

Keep it up! My DS is 33 mos and still RF. I will likely turn him when the baby comes he will be 3 yrs 4 mos so that a the seats will fit better next to each other and b so that DS can interact with the new LO. I'm still riding the fence on turning him but at over 3 years I think I'll be comfortable with that then.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I got tangled in a parenting debate a couple of years ago because a friend had her 8 month old in a FF lap belt BOOSTER because he fit the weight limit. (He was completely slumped down in the seat and the belt was right at his neck.) 

I didn't say anything on her picture (I privately messaged her), but other people did say something publicly. She and her idiot no-kid friends started saying it was a legitimate parenting decision to put him in the seat. Um... no. It was dangerous.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DS is 14 months and still RF.
    I have seen kids pictures in their car seats with their straps loose or the buckle down at their belly buttons instead of at their chest. I don't say anything, it's rude. It's like calling people out for giving their kids soda or something, is it good for the kid? No, but is it any of your business? No.
  • imagekelsea1031:

imagexxnorma:
    I plan to RF my children as long as possible if it's the safest.

No worries Smile

FWIW, I've shared that link I posted above on my facebook once or twice when I've noticed friends who've talked about/posted pictures of tuning their kids FF well before 1. I've never said anything directly, just a day or so after the post, just kind of nonchalantly been like "One of my mommy friends passed this link on to me and it's just too much to not share it!" I've always posted it as MY status, not on someone else's as I don't want to come off as a b!tch lol.

That probably wouldn't help your situation right now, but might be handy down the road....

Sharing that instead is a much better idea.I think I'll end up doing that from now on.

and like another poster said just maybe talk about the facts of it all with her in person possibly. I had a long talk with another close mom friend of mine last night about it all and she gave me a lot of websites with good information about it to pass along in the future:). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"